Gragas help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

I've been carrying with him a bit lately - still a good solo laner.

I go:
doran' ring
catalyst
lvl 1 boots
Rod of Ages
boots of choice
Rylais (or item based on team needs - banshee's sometimes, sometimes armor, sometimes hp/cdr)

If you are playing well you want to get the rod of ages by the 16minute mark, give or take two minutes.
9/0/21 - magic pen/magic regen/hp flat

Narnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

Yeah forgot RoA that's a good one too. I suppose Ryali's is also nice, though Grags only gets 15% slow since his moves are AOE. I thought you were a promoter of the early NLR for super burst though Nico? Just your pub stomper build?

nicosharp

12-20-2010

I've been modifying my build as I go, based on opposing teams and my rating. At lower levels you can carry harder with AP maxing by early Zhonya's. I also enjoy the gold-per-5 CDR tank build too that makes you feel mana manip strong again.

brainlizard

12-20-2010

I really think hybrid suits him best and is most fun.

While I know HP regen is blah (though better now with less HP on levelup), reverie's active is just boss. With sheen + reverie, a good cask can mean even summoners wont be enough to get away.

After reverie and sheen, you build EHP, finishing triforce only if ur rolling (you don't have the AP for lichbane).

With this kind of build, you still farm like a boss in the middle game (double-barrel trick with high CDR takes whole minion waves), and you're a serious gank threat, as well as very hard to gank yourself (reverie, cask and slam). You can also change lanes very fast, due to CDR on slam + mp5 to spam it.

Definitely fun, too, because you mix it up a LOT, and all of your skills come into play. With Visage, Reverie and masteries, you have 36 CDR. You can make the rest up in runes.

Yellow Jester

12-20-2010

Build literally anything you want and adapt your playstyle to your build.

Seriously gragas is the most versatile hero in the game, you can build him in any way except maybe full DPS carry.

Narnak

12-20-2010

I've built Youmuu's Infinite Edge on him before and dominated. But generally speaking yes this is dumb because well he's melee and he needs to be in the mix of things so he needs some beef. In fact many people play tanky dps like Xin Zhao, Olaf, etc with pure tank builds. They can do decent damage with just their abilities. My personal preference on these types of chars is kinda halfway tanky halfway dps. But really depends on the flow of the game. Getting fed? More offense. Dying? More defense. The main difference I think for tanky dps Gragas compared to say Xin Zhao or Olaf is that Gragas' damage is better early, and tapers off once you max W/E since Q's damage is not much without AP. Melee dps Gragas also suffers a bit from being able to stick to the other teams carry in traffic, since Body Slam can get cut short but Xin's pounce, Olaf's axe, etc cannot. I think that is the main reason the build is pretty unpopular.

Kroghar

12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnak View Post
I agree you can argue there are better suited tanks or melee dps or even beefy mages than Gragas. But some people just love playing with him, and there's nothing wrong with that He's kind of the jack of all trades champ. And he does technically have 3 skill shots which gives him a pretty high skill ceiling.
Yeah, definitely not implying not to play him that way if you want to, I'm never one to judge who or how people play champs unless it's something ridiculous. Just the original poster was asking how he should play Gragas, my experience is that the AD tank Grag hasn't worked as well as the AP Grag, even more so after the nerfs. And to my surprise I actually ended up enjoying AP Grag a little more. People say that AP Grag is just spamming one ability, It actually felt like the tank build was all about Body Slam, with AP I'm juggling everything. With a Rod of Ages you can still be an off-tank, but your barrels will actually do damage.

Mambazo

12-20-2010

I really like Leviathan on him, if you can get that fabled 20 stacks, which I have done, then that combined with your W gives you sick mitigation.

Jibonader

12-21-2010

I usually buy a glacial shroud, or a spirit visage when I go back to base for the first time, depending on how much $$$ I have. Then I get boots, and then a tank item that depends on the opposing team. I've been messing around with Shuryleas Reverie as well, it seems like an OK item. I also get an aeigis sometimes if I'm the only tank.

Felgash

12-22-2010

should be built as tanky / ap almost always, gragas needs to have some dmg, building him pure tank means u'll suck totaly in end game, he needs only 200 ap and as much mp to have some solid dmg tho