Gragas help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Musclegiant

12-19-2010

Despite some negativity towards Gragas I think I could be good with him. I have seen a lot of conflicting guides and am massively confused on what to use with him. Do I focus on AP or CDR? Any advice for a soon to be Gragas player?

Leirkov

12-19-2010

Build him as a tank. Check my recent history. Body Slam-tank builds are amazing. He harasses in lane great.

But you should get CDR so your Drunken Rage is ALWAYS up. Spirit Visage is a great item for him.

brainlizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2010

With Locket Gragas gone, and Omen nerfed, I'm having more luck with an off-tank build:

9 CDR through masteries

Reverie (poor-man's locket, but the active is AWESOME)
Sheen (this can be first if gank threat is low)
Boots 2 (usually merc)
Visage
Some combination of Veil, Thornmail, Force of Nature, Abyssal, Sunfire
Finish Triforce if you need more DPS

It's amazing how first trip back with sheen so often gets you a kill. Opponents don't expect the sudden burst.

Flaming Tampon

12-19-2010

I just recently started playing Gragas and I build him somewhat similar to tank Nunu.

Rod of Ages
Boots of Swiftness
Nashors Tooth
Abyssal Scepter
Sunfire or Thornmail depending on the enemy team
The 6th item can be whatever.

Kvoth3

12-19-2010

I go a more pure tank build and have great success. He's got a passive damage reduction, so make sure to get resist items that give HP as well, and you become very unkillable mid-late game.

Also, what Lerikov said.

4ndy

12-19-2010

Don't know which map you play more often - but for 3v3 I just won my last 4 games as Gragas. I don't build him AP though. I focus body slam and drunken rage and Q last. He can body slam through terrain which is great. And if you have decent DPS players just build him tank, drunken rage and body slam will still get you some kills, but overall tank to help the team. And use your ult to split up the enemy so your team can kill them 3 on 1 then have a 3 v 2 advantage most of the fights.

Dasier said then done, but be patient and learn him and when to initiate. Make sure you just used Drunken Rage before the fight, not so it comes off of CD after 2 seconds in...

4ndy

12-19-2010

I should add though, that on 5v5 Summoner Rift, AP still may be viable, a couple people suggested build him like Tank Nunu, and on 5's that's probably best for your AOE damage etc.

Narnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

He's a hybrid. You can build him however really. He loves CDR of course for all builds to spam his slam and barrels and stay drunk. AP for barrel throwing hurt, or tank/dps for crazy body slam belly bumping fun.

IMO AP build = Zhonya, Deathfire, Lichbane would probably be my top 3 choices
Tank = Randiun, Banshee, Sunfire my top 3 picks usually.
Tanky DPS = Anti-carry item (Randiun, Banshee), Youmuu, Frozen Mallet, Atmas

It really depends on the matchups though, and what your team is building. Need more beef? More burst? More physical dps? Gragas can work any way really. Key things to note are again Gragas always loves CDR, and really he loves all those Gold/5 items as they give CDR and a good active in the final combine. Also he loves items with health on them to boost his passive.

Oh btw it is probably obvious but for AP builds level Q first, then W with an early point in E generally. Tanky builds do W/E (I tend to keep them even ranks but really doesnt matter much which you max first) with a point in Q for team fights for the attack speed debuff.

AP standard 9/0/21 masteries, standard caster runes. Flash/Ghost or Ignite/Ghost imo

Tank 0/21/9 masteries, standard tank runes. Cleanse/Ghost imo

Kroghar

12-20-2010

Some champs really do have multiple builds that are all good, if you see people suggesting multiple VERY different builds, don't panic, just try them all. They all play very differently and chances are one will suite your playstyle more than others.

Oddly enough myself, I love playing tanks, I like being in the action, but with Gragas, even before the nerf I found it very difficult to stay alive and I felt like I wasn't contributing much at all. I've actually had better luck playing him AP. You can dish out enough damage from a distance and still jump into the action once people are getting low and catch runners.

Without the locket, with Drunken Rage getting nerfed by like 50%, and after the Body Slam cooldown nerf, I'm pretty skeptic that he can still fill that (off)tank role particularly well.

Despite the negative press, especially after the nerfs, I think Mundo even fills that role better with a more consistent slow, CC-reduction, and MASSIVE self-healing and speed.

Narnak

12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroghar View Post
Some champs really do have multiple builds that are all good, if you see people suggesting multiple VERY different builds, don't panic, just try them all. They all play very differently and chances are one will suite your playstyle more than others.

Oddly enough myself, I love playing tanks, I like being in the action, but with Gragas, even before the nerf I found it very difficult to stay alive and I felt like I wasn't contributing much at all. I've actually had better luck playing him AP. You can dish out enough damage from a distance and still jump into the action once people are getting low and catch runners.

Without the locket, with Drunken Rage getting nerfed by like 50%, and after the Body Slam cooldown nerf, I'm pretty skeptic that he can still fill that (off)tank role particularly well.

Despite the negative press, especially after the nerfs, I think Mundo even fills that role better with a more consistent slow, CC-reduction, and MASSIVE self-healing and speed.
I agree you can argue there are better suited tanks or melee dps or even beefy mages than Gragas. But some people just love playing with him, and there's nothing wrong with that He's kind of the jack of all trades champ. And he does technically have 3 skill shots which gives him a pretty high skill ceiling.

I think the main issue with tank Gragas is that he does give up hard CC for gankability and early natural damage. In other words, you need to have a team focused on getting an early win with a tanky Gragas. AP Gragas scales into late game better as he can one shot squishies from start to finish with enough farm, and oh boy can AP Gragas farm. Rush some AP like needlessly large rod and watch your Q one-shot entire creep waves.