What's your PC's system specs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

flankd

The Council

12-19-2010

What's like the average amount of ram someone has these days? 6GB? Because when I look at websites that have rigs with like 12GB+ of Ram it just seems kind of excessive...

Lacesso

12-19-2010

I run 4GB and for gaming that is more than enough, never use more than 75%. If you're just gaming, I would just go with 6GB or 8GB because it really won't make a huge difference for gaming.

o Y

12-19-2010

people still use desktops? lol. fail

VoG Nova

12-19-2010

****ty

Timax

12-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankd View Post
I'm getting back from deployment tomorrow and I've been inactive for about 8 months or so and I'll be building a new computer. I was wondering what people were running and if any of you stream or fraps at high resolution and what your frame rates might be. I have a new 23.5 inch 1080p HD monitor already so I just need to build a tower.... I'm willing to spend around $1500 or so and I'd like peoples input.

Inform me.
OP, that's the best guide you could ever use. Updated every week. http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...uide/Guide.png

I've build a lot of computers and this guide never failed me.

Frnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2010

Phenom II 965 Quad (3.4ghz)
4GB DDR3 (1333)
ATI Radeon HD 5870 (3GB).

I run everything at max Resolution 1680 x 1050 (Monitor is 23?" WS. I forget. It's Acer x223w)

My PSU Is... is... I don't remember.
I think 700watt and i forget amperage.
Enough to support the beastly video card, of course.

Cyberpower Refurb, ~900$ w/ OS (Win7).

flankd

The Council

12-19-2010

I don't like laptops :-X

Unholy Conqueror

12-19-2010

4Gb of RAM is more than enough for the average gamer. The people with 6-8Gb+ are extreme multitaskers or they have A LOT of stuff running on their machine at once.

Small SSD + HDD > Large HDD.

SSDs are generally considered the best upgrade to any computer. Use one as a boot drive then install all your games and whatnot on the HDD. Just pick a newer one. A lot of the older ones had problems with deleting older data and deteriorating read or write times.

If you're only playing LoL, I doubt you'll need a $300+ video card. However, if you're going to go play Crysis or whatever the next-gen game pushing the graphics limit is, you'll want one.

Keep in mind for the ATI vs Nvidia argument that Nvidia sacrifices video processing space for basically a built-in CPU (for PhysX). If your machine has a high-end CPU (ex: Intel 8xx or 9xx), I would suggest an ATI card.

SATA III (6 Gb/s) would be worth looking into if you want fast load times as well. Just be careful when picking one out. A lot of boards will run PCI x16 cards in x8 mode if a SATA III port is being used (or vice-versa). Halving video data transfer rates shouldn't affect LoL, but would for those next-gen push-it-to-the-limit graphics games.

Laptops are nice for taking notes in class or giving speeches with powerpoint but will never (at least not with the current technologies) have the same amount of bang for your buck as a desktop.

PowerSmoker

12-19-2010

i have a triple core phenom , on a 42 inch 1080 P with a GTX 470 & 4 gb of ram "667"

looks very good & steady

Tenimuhou

12-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankd View Post
What's like the average amount of ram someone has these days? 6GB? Because when I look at websites that have rigs with like 12GB+ of Ram it just seems kind of excessive...
I would recommend no less than 6GB.

Most programs utilize excess ram similarly to Windows Vista/7's Superfetch (preloading textures, etc. for faster load times.)

Generally, Windows 7, Firefox, Streaming App, LoL (in-game) will take up around 2.9 GB Ram.