Ashe Early Game Items?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zaeron

12-25-2009

I've played about 75 games on Ashe at this point, and I've tried three main starting builds:

Longsword + Pot, building into Brutalizer then boots, then Inf. Edge
Saph Crystal, 2 pots, building into Catalyst, boots, then Inf. Edge
Regen Pendant or Meki (if laning with a support), building into Phil Stone, boots, then Inf. Edge

I've had numerous people tell me that the Brutalizer path is garbage (I really liked it for early game damage, armor pen is an AWESOME stat and my rune page at the time was lacking, but now that I've got about 15 pen from runes, I've moved toward regen early game) - so my real question is... Catalyst or Phil stone? The Catalyst puts me back about 300g extra, delaying my push for Boots +3, but is obviously a better late game item (builds into Banshee).

The issue that I'm having with Catalyst is that my early-midgame with Ashe tends to be a lot of running between lanes, arrowing people and setting up ganks with my teammates. My skill build is works out to Volley 4, Frost Arrows 2, Crystal Arrow 1 at 7, a very gank oriented build. This causes two problems: First, not having boots slows that down a lot, and second, I slow my leveling slightly when I play this way - So Catalyst offers less in terms of regen. Often, I find that with Catalyst, I'm badly mana starved, even slotting my rune page for regen. Whereas with Phil Stone, I've almost always got the mana to set up a gank - if I need more, I'll regen it on the run, which is even better. Even lane-aware opponents often discount me because I'm at 50 mana, which is only 30 seconds away from an arrow.

I'm often told that Phil Stone makes me a noob - am I just playing wrong/badly? Enlighten me!

Zaeron

12-26-2009

Bump for great justice?

Katakylsm

12-26-2009

I've played Ashe for probably 40 games so far and I usually start with the Hp regen needed for the phil stone (Sorry I forget the name). Getting this usually allows me to stay in the lane and pursuit longer, most people you play against don't pick up hp regen so I try to range pick them off or push them back with volley or normal attacks. At 630~ gold I usually recall, get the phil stone, and go back to my lane. By this time you're usually level 5 with 3/4 exp or just hit level 6. I usually put 1 into volley, 1 into frost arrows, then max bounty and when I can't put points into it I put them into volley or crystal arrow when I can. I've had some decent success with doing this and try not to waver from this build since the hp/mana regen are basically needed early on to play Ashe. Bounty maxed and Phil stone usually end up netting me Boots and Infinity edge at about 30-33 minutes into the game. Phil stone pays for itself after 37 minutes, and it takes about 5 minutes to get it. I guess it's not really worth getting if you think the game will be short one, but if you're playing a 40 minute game it becomes 'free'.

Benoit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2009

Catalyst the Protector. (Start with Sapphire Crystal and 2x Health Pot)

Judorange

12-26-2009

hmmm my starting item is always the Hp regen pendant,
as soon as i get 740 gold, I teleport back to upgrade it to philosopher so i get my 5g / 10 sec (which owns...). Normaly i get my stone at lvl 4 or 5 when i'm soloing mid.
The mana regen also allows me to pretty much spam my nuke for extra creep kills / harass.
In the past, is was getting. When i was a nub (like last week), i was building catalyst instead of the stone for extra mana pool and hp, but seriously, with practice, i found out that the stone is WAAAYYY better.

2nd item :boots... and later boots of swiftness (most os the time i upgrade them only after i get my BFS)

3rd : BLOODTHIRSTER -> DUDE, thats the item u want... farm creep killz and crank the stats up, its massive...

4th Infinite edge

My point in this post is : 1 : DONT GET CATALYST , 2 : GET a BLOODTHIRSTER AS FAST AS U CAN, it OWNS

Zaeron

12-26-2009

Judo, I think you'll find the value of Bloodthirster goes down as you reach mid-range (or at least, I assume mid-range) ELO brackets. Ashe is frequently the focus target in team fights - and more to the point, fights are over so fast life leech doesn't matter. I think you'll find that Infinite Edge will do far more for you, especially if you can rush it by about 25mins in. Most games end right around that point, usually with a decisive team fight.

I've been trying out a Sword of the Occult as my first item. I've found that combined with heavy ganking in the early game, it can be pretty amazing. If you can get it stacked to 20, it gives a LOT of mobility in the mid game as well. Anyone else tried this?

MasqureMan

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
I've played about 75 games on Ashe at this point, and I've tried three main starting builds:

Longsword + Pot, building into Brutalizer then boots, then Inf. Edge
Saph Crystal, 2 pots, building into Catalyst, boots, then Inf. Edge
Regen Pendant or Meki (if laning with a support), building into Phil Stone, boots, then Inf. Edge

I've had numerous people tell me that the Brutalizer path is garbage (I really liked it for early game damage, armor pen is an AWESOME stat and my rune page at the time was lacking, but now that I've got about 15 pen from runes, I've moved toward regen early game) - so my real question is... Catalyst or Phil stone? The Catalyst puts me back about 300g extra, delaying my push for Boots +3, but is obviously a better late game item (builds into Banshee).

The issue that I'm having with Catalyst is that my early-midgame with Ashe tends to be a lot of running between lanes, arrowing people and setting up ganks with my teammates. My skill build is works out to Volley 4, Frost Arrows 2, Crystal Arrow 1 at 7, a very gank oriented build. This causes two problems: First, not having boots slows that down a lot, and second, I slow my leveling slightly when I play this way - So Catalyst offers less in terms of regen. Often, I find that with Catalyst, I'm badly mana starved, even slotting my rune page for regen. Whereas with Phil Stone, I've almost always got the mana to set up a gank - if I need more, I'll regen it on the run, which is even better. Even lane-aware opponents often discount me because I'm at 50 mana, which is only 30 seconds away from an arrow.

I'm often told that Phil Stone makes me a noob - am I just playing wrong/badly? Enlighten me!
I ussually get a sapphire crystal. Or ruby, depending on what you like and plan to do. If you spam, go for mana. You want FB, go for health.

Philosphers stone is nice, but you would have to have it <10minutes. Or else its a waste, as a saphire and ruby crystal can be made to a banshee veil rather quickly and you keep making more items. Just my opinion, but if you really like your philosphers, don't let other people get to you.

Viro Melchior

12-26-2009

What I've found best for Ashe starting:

Solo
Sapphire Crystal + 2x Health Potion - gives you the extra mana to volley as needed, with the general strategy to stay close to your turret and just use basic attacks to last-shot. Builds toward Banshee's Veil obviously.
HP Regen item - to build towards whatever you like. Encourages the fastest rush on damage.

Partnered
Mana Manipulator - forces you to return to base once early to heal (and pick up potions), making teleport a necessity. Unless you lane with someone who can heal you (Alistair is perfect) or stay super-safe from stray shots.
Meiki - same concept, but can buy health pots and you aren't helping your ally. Both +mana setups, with points in utility give you the mana you need for fairly regular volley shots.

AmyOverlord

12-26-2009

Boots of Speed + 2 HP Pots.

Krath4

12-26-2009

I always grab a Regrowth Pendant first. I farm up until I can afford to buy Zerker Greaves and Philo Stone in one go. I honestly only grab Philo Stone for the dual HP/Mana regen, the gold is just a bonus. Then I go ahead and grab a B.F. Sword, and turn that into an Infinity Edge the next time I head back.