Udyr Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WholeGrn

12-25-2009

Since they're not many Udyr guides out there, I'd like to start a discussion about Udyr's skill build and item build.

I never played him but I want to try him soon, as a jungler if possible.

I'm thinking of going a skill build of maxing Turtle First, then Bear, then Tiger, and lastly, three points into Phoenix. However would 3 Phoenix ranks be good early game to farm? Should I put ranks into Tiger earlier? Should I max out Phoenix and make Tiger into 3 ranks? These are the questions I need answered, and hopefully they can spark up a discussion.

Also, items. With Tiger stance and Udyr's passive, reaching 2.5 attack speed must be pretty easy. This is why I'm considering allowing Tiger stance to be 3 ranks instead of 5 ranks because of the attack speed that most good items have, and I might reach the cap and waste the attack speed items give if Tiger stance is maxed.

Also my items would be like this, but due to limited knowledge of Udyr (hopefully cured with this thread) I have a feeling that I'm completely off. I'm thinking that I should invest in more damage earlier and I'm not sure that crit chance is that good of an idea. Please help!

1. Sheen
  2. Ninja Tabi/Beserker Greaves
  3. Trinity Force
  4. Phatom Dancer (too much attack speed?)
  5. Infinity Edge (game should be over by this point)
  6. Black Cleaver/Bloodthirster
  7. Black Cleaver/Bloodthirster

Natooka

12-25-2009

I just played Udyr for the first time, and he's my new favorite character. I've never felt so confident rushing nto a group of mobs and then being able to take down anyone who tries to gank me. I've even chased into turrets and got kills. He's just awesome. And yeah he does jungle well. I took on a Yi 1v1... and lost by a sliver of HP.

From what I have read... never stay in one shield for too long, keep activating them when your fighting (helps with Sheen too). I kept switching from Bear to Turtle for example. Was pretty nice lol.

My item build that was recomended to me:
Beserker Greaves
Zeal
Phage
Sheen
Trinity
BF
Infinity (Game should be over by this point)

Just played my second Udyr Game:
By the end of the game you are freakin crazy on damage, I was paired up jungling with a Yi and we were unstoppable/godlike. I'd run in and stun with Bear and then hammer the guy while Yi pwned em. I only had a KD of 4-4-10 though, but I was satisfied.

What are your thoughts on Madred Razors + Tiger? I might try this out in practice just to see the effect lol. 3x the hits, 3x the chance to hit 500?

Twigg

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natooka View Post
I just played Udyr for the first time, and he's my new favorite character. I've never felt so confident rushing nto a group of mobs and then being able to take down anyone who tries to gank me. I've even chased into turrets and got kills. He's just awesome. And yeah he does jungle well. I took on a Yi 1v1... and lost by a sliver of HP.

From what I have read... never stay in one shield for too long, keep activating them when your fighting (helps with Sheen too). I kept switching from Bear to Turtle for example. Was pretty nice lol.

My item build that was recomended to me:
Beserker Greaves
Zeal
Phage
Sheen
Trinity
BF
Infinity (Game should be over by this point)

Just played my second Udyr Game:
By the end of the game you are freakin crazy on damage, I was paired up jungling with a Yi and we were unstoppable/godlike. I'd run in and stun with Bear and then hammer the guy while Yi pwned em. I only had a KD of 4-4-10 though, but I was satisfied.

What are your thoughts on Madred Razors + Tiger? I might try this out in practice just to see the effect lol. 3x the hits, 3x the chance to hit 500?

On hit effects only apply to the first hit of Tiger ( in the patch notes)

Playing Udyr really depends on your play style. Udyr has 3 other options everytime he wants to change stance, say from Bear to Tiger. From Tiger, Udyr has the opportunity to change back to Bear again. What this means is that you can keep refreshing the special ability of one stance depending on the situation. For example, in team-fights I put more emphasis on the bear so I have less phoenix and tiger because I am always looking for the opportunity to change back to bear. Same for the other stances

Razr

12-26-2009

Udyr is an interesting champ: he's a force to reckon with early game if you know how to stance dance properly and late game can run out of a bush and kill practically anything without an escape mechanism. In my experience he is primarily an attack speed champ that does well with just about anything you put on him.

You are correct in maxing turtle/bear first, but I'd recommend soloing mid instead of jungling right away as you can apply a ton of pressure there. Between turtle and bear dancing you will be almost untouchable; even if you're laning against a ranged carry you can run in, stun them, and then retreat in turtle to gain what little health you lost to their pitiful early game damage. Besides, once you hit level 8 you can leave your lane, solo the dragon, and walk back.

My general item build is as follows:

Sheen
Sword of the Divine or Malady (either one is fine, you're getting it for the attack speed and both do the job fine)
Boots (typically Berserker's, but I will go Merc's if the enemy team is CC heavy)
Phage
Zeal
Triforce

By this point it really doesn't matter what you get; your attack speed in all the non-tiger stances will be closing in on 2.0 and you will be an incredible asset to your team once you get stance dancing down. Throw a golem buff or lizard buff on top of that and you're going to eat people.

The general idea behind stance dancing is that you're changing stances as fast as you can to adapt to what's happening in the game. Rushing into a battle? Go bear and follow it up with Tiger or Pheonix to pump out some damage. Getting focused? Go turtle and then bear for a shield and run speed increase. Bear has saved my ass on multiple occasions, and so has the shield from turtle. Udyr is relatively simple: the faster you switch, the better.

Udyr is the only melee champ who I have played and had fun as; he has a well thought out design (with the exception of Tiger's splitting of attacks) that makes him incredibly fun to play. I hope I helped, enjoy playing Udyr .

coty

12-26-2009

I have had some luck w/ Udyr with a similar build. I own + crit and + crit dmg runes, but because they would be a waste when I am in turtle stance I don't use any. Instead my build is pretty much the following:

Note: italics = store category

1. Sapphire Crystal (Mana)
2. Boots (Movement)
3. Sheen (Mana)
4. Upgrade boots usually Mercury Treads*
5. Vampiric Scepter (Attack > Life Steal)
6. Stark's Fervor (unless someone on my team has started it) (Attack > Life Steal)
or
Bloodthirster (Attack > Life Steal)
7. Trinity Force (Mana)

* or ninja tabi if the other team is melee heavy which works very nicely w/ my dodge runes, Udyr's passive, and nimbleness from the defense tree

From then on in I will play it by the situation. Possibly Banshee's Veil (Defense > Magic Resist) if they have a lot of CC or nukers, but if my team seems like it has an advantage I will go with a BF sword (Attack > Damage) -> Black Cleaver (Attack > Damage).

For masteries I do 1 offense (exhaust), 21 defense, and 8 utility (3 perseverance, 1 good hands, 4 awareness).

For runes I do 2 speed quints, 1 Armor pen quint, red armor pen, blue flat magic resist, and yellow dodge.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2009

razor + tiger = REALLY BAD

you know razor's 500 dmg effect? it only does 1/3rd of that damage in tiger form. jungling is done with turtle and phoenix.

Natooka

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
razor + tiger = REALLY BAD

you know razor's 500 dmg effect? it only does 1/3rd of that damage in tiger form. jungling is done with turtle and phoenix.
I don't jungle til around level 8-10, and really I found Turtle/Bear better cause I can run up, stun, get them to either a) run away, or b) turn and fight, at which point I dance around my shields and they quickly die.

coty

12-26-2009

Bait I was wondering about how procs work w/ tiger stance.

Basically, do you know if the attack mechanics for Udyr would make things like the Malady debuff easier to stack or is it all considered 1 attack?

Natooka

12-26-2009

I think its all considered 1 attack, but you hit faster, and on-hit things like 50% chance of slowing them, and others only apply to the first hit.

coty

12-26-2009

Yeah i guess it would work like any other proc, I was just curious about whether a stacking debuff would work differently than a static proc but I don't know why they would.