Xin Zhao Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deaths Hero

12-18-2010

I just got the Xin because he looked fun but I am a bit lost on how to build him. I have tried some of the guides on here and I haven't found much success.

What items should I be looking for? What runes/masteries? What order should I be leveling my skills?

Any tips/help would be awesome.

Neokenfu

12-18-2010

I'd suggest you go tank masteries to start as his biggest issue is dying. Later on you can go damage and crank out the big IE crits. He has no amazing escape mechanic so make sure you take flash. Also be extremely wary when your CD is down and make sure you don't initiate when this is the case. Doing a secondary charge/ult to kill the first/second person who is low is my recommendation when your flash CD is down.

I find what makes or breaks Xin is how good you are at knowing when to charge/ult/pop people. As time goes on I find my alternative is to lifesteal as much as possible when flash is down cause many times your damage in a decent team fight is so good that you often survive. Lately I've found that getting bloodthirster/starks is amazing and as per usual the IE is likely the most insane weapon in the game for him.

In general my key to him is Merc treads/heart of gold. I find his farm to be a bit lackluster and his jungling while ok is still 2nd tier(Might be better when I can afford the IP for CDR glyphs and dodge seals.

My rune setup is easy: All attack speed +38% total

Since he heals based upon swinging 3 times, not hitting, every point of AS adds to his survivability/damage. This also takes the need for 2 AS items off you which is really important. In general for items I'll go doran's shield/blade & a health pot depending on if you think you can dominate the lane. For the most part Xin is great because he can shrug off most early harass by auto-attacking after getting damaged.

After the shield/sword I go boots of speed and then heart of gold. Heart of gold is key because like I said his farm is a bit weak(its also quite possible there are amazing last hit Xin's out there that might have better things to say about his farm).

Next item is completely based upon your opponents. His natural abilities to damage help you here cause if your getting owned by magic ults then you grab a banshee veil which indirectly helps his DPS due to the mana increase or go all the way with the negatron cloak immediately.

Xin is also an odd but good candidate for sunfire cape because it'll allow you to push faster/farm better and bring down creep when your attacking a tower(much sicker than you might think). Of course you should never grab a sunfire if a tank needs it.

Best DPS items for Xin: IE, Starks, Blood thirster, Ghostblade, Sword of the Divine, Phantom dancer, and Frozen Mallet.

Frozen mallet is another very sneaky item DPS wise because it allows you with the slow to attack them a bunch more times then you ever could normally. Xin is VERY hard to get away from but this ensures that only the Corki's/Trynds/Kassadins have a decent shot. Again flash is key because its dual purpose of being able to flash/charge people from across the screen if needed and negate the escape mechanics of the champs you face.

Survivability items: Banshee veil, Randuin's, Sunfire, Aegis(if no support champ) and Guardian Angel if you are doing really badly. You can also stack multiple hearts of gold to speed your farm if you are getting denied XP really badly.

Xin is a great pusher with his fast autoattacking and high dps. He is also a great team fighter with his ult and seems to fit well with AOE teams. He's really fun/great to play because he can fill a bunch of roles: initiator, off-tank, DPS, pusher, jungler
Think of him as a jack of all trades because there are champs that are better in all of the fore-mentioned roles(Anunu initiator, Malphite off-tank, Yi in DPS, Sivir in pushing, and Warwick in jungling). I find that the better you adapt to the conditions of the game with Xin the better you'll be. Also, the more varied roles he can assume the more valuable you are to the team. Go assume the role that he is most needed based on your team comp and opponents.

Also I personally run with exhaust as my second spell due to easy first bloods(Xin + anyone is a really easy first blood at level 3 especially). I recommend bot due to being able to typically destroy the jungler 1 v1(up the % of success if you jump them while they are fighting a jungle mob).

For skill sequence I go:

Q, W, E, W, W, R, W, W, Q, Q, R, Q, Q, E, E, R, E, E when laning

Q, W, Q, Q, E, R, W, W, W, W, R, Q, Q, E, E, R, E, E when jungling

Notice that only 1 point is necessary in the charge ability and more should typically be avoided. The Q ability is your damage/speed steroid which makes it more useful for the jungle(make sure you hit Q right as your autoattack swing goes down cause it resets the timer). Q pops people in the air at the end which is one of the main reasons AS is such a huge stat with Xin especially early. Getting the third hit especially with people moving in/out of the brush can be difficult. Getting that third hit off on people especially when going for FB is critical. E and then Q are the reason Xin is so **** hard to escape.

If you decide you want to jungle be courteous of the better junglers(WW, Rammus, Olaf, etc) and swap to lane spec(no smite). Xin is also actually quite amazing 2 v 1 in a lane. You can pull some really funny stuff with your ult on the squishiest one when you are level 6 and they are both 4.

Remember that your skills cost very little mana outside of the charge/ult so use them to get life back faster if you need to. Remember if you ace them with low life that you can get life from merely swinging at the tower or creep. Higher AD/AS combos with enough survivability is the name of the game. If you whiff with your ult stay back and kill creep with W to lower your ULT CD. You can get it back within 40-60 secs or less if you do it right/have CDR runes/items.

Carados

12-18-2010

Level Xin Zhao's charge first, it's his best skill and gives him early game lane dominance.

Leveling it last is just confusing. You get nothing out of leveling your Q, you give up the ability to almost permaslow someone.

And you want CDR on Xin Zhao, it's his best stat.

Neokenfu

12-18-2010

No offense, but I find it extremely hard to believe you've ever played Xin if you believe this. Xin is my main and I've played about 250+ games with him. No dude, E has way to long of a CD even with W swing to reduce it enough to perma-anything anyone. The stun lasts for 1.7 seconds no matter how high you level it(just the % of slow raises by 5% per level you dump into it). Its the only Xin skill that uses AP which is a stat you'll never EVER EVER want to get with him. 40% of your AP on that skill in additional damage....WOW you should definitely get that /sarcasm. The damage add of +40 per rank is negligable as well. You'll be spamming Q a LOT and IT has a short CD.

In short, please don't post if you've never played Xin before(or just a few times) because you don't know what you're talking about. As is, I'd be happier if a higher ELO Xin(Like HotshotGG etc) chimed in to discuss survivability with flash CD down because this is the most difficult time for Xin in every game.

Carados

12-18-2010

The slow doesn't permaslow them, the combination of your slow and your Q keeps them permaslowed. By getting 40% CDR, it's fairly easy to juggle your Q and your E to keep them constantly disabled, and you have Randuin's Omen to help if they manage to flash away or you screwed up. In addition, it gives you an early game presence which allows you to solo and gank.

Nice way to be condescending without understanding the post!

In short, please don't post if you've never played Xin before(or just a few times) because you don't know what you're talking about.

And no, you don't need to get AP to scale your E. It has a high base damage, it's spammable. Leveling your Q doesn't improve the disable in anyway, it just improves the damage (very little) and the cooldown (better improved by your W). And here's a hint: Your Q doesn't scale at all.

Neokenfu

12-18-2010

Furthermore, leveling the charge first will gimp you for FB and make you a much ****tier laner. When the stuff hits the fan Q and then W are his bread and butter. Charge really isn't worth it until level 3 unless you are laning against really aggressive dumb mofos(even in this instance I'd wait until level 2). Also, even if you do play the dumb/aggressive people that push you back onto your tower hitting with the 3rd hit of a Q in front of a tower after they have attacked you is assured death for all but the most tanky. You can sometimes turn around fights with almost no life left with Q.

Understand the main reason W is so important besides the life regen boost is that it helps to ensure that the 3rd hit of Q connects.

Neokenfu

12-18-2010

KK, way to be condescending and not understand my post hypocrite. Also Q slows....alright buddy, could have sworn the term was pop but since you are saying it, it must be true....

Carados

12-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neokenfu View Post
Furthermore, leveling the charge first will gimp you for FB and make you a much ****tier laner.
Except this is the opposite of true? You get more damage in at every CD by leveling your E first, because you get more slow.

There is a 5 damage difference between your E and your Q. E gives more disable. Which one is better for first blood again?
Quote:
Understand the main reason W is so important besides the life regen boost is that it helps to ensure that the 3rd hit of Q connects.
Know what else does? Slowing the target for 3 autoattacks.

R>E>W>Q.

You gain nothing by leveling Q.

Carados

12-18-2010

Quote:
Also Q slows.....

No, the third hit knocks up.

Please learn to play Xin Zhao.

hree Talon Strike [Xin Zhao's Q] / 30 Mana / 12/11/10/9/8 sec Cooldown [4.8] / 375 Range / Xin Zhao prepares to unleash a fearsome combo, causing his next 3 standard attacks to deal 15/30/45/60/75 (+current attack) physical damage, with the final attack knocking his opponent into the air.

Where does it slow?

Unless you're arguing semantics here and failing to address the point.

Neokenfu

12-18-2010

LOL, dude you're without question the biggest ****** I've meet on here. GRATZ!! I was being sarcastic about the Q because YOU said it slows in your post dumbsh*t. I'm quite done with this thread so please continue to bump my info with your flames please.