[HELP] Need advice on Cho'Gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valhirien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2010

So i recently got Cho and I really like him. It's just that whenever i pick him i just can't win the match :/ no matter how good start is, games just take too long and later my team is screwed. I usually go 5v5 solo so my team is mostly random (unfortunately).

I am using Mpen marks, mana regen seals, CDR glyphs and flat HP quints. Masteries 9/0/21. I start with doran's ring, then i get myself 2nd ring and boots. Aftrer that come 2nd lvl boots (tabi or mercs, depending on situation) and sometimes 3rd ring if i want to use skills more often. And it's fine up to that moment - I can harass good, get some kills, and feast on minions if i can't finish any hero.

Problems start later, when teamfights are getting more often. I usually have at this point 2-3 dorans rings, 2nd lvl boots, FoN and i'm building either thornmail/frozen heart or rylais while having 6 stacks of feast. The problem is that at this point my games are falling apart, my team keeps dying 90% of teamfights and my death count starts to grow rapidly since i'm outnumbered 1 to 5 :P

Result is : enemy big push, i lose stacks and health boosts, they get fed and gg

What is wrong? Does teammates take that I AM their tank since i'm beefy and have some armor and mr? So i go in first if i have to, but i can't force anyone to focus me first in fights :/ so what if i land rapture, even if i silence half of enemy team right after. Squishies get killed few seconds later, others are barely alive and i'm left to die last, even if i kill someone with feast.

What to do? What should be core items? Which ones to rush and in what situations? I'd like some help with that cause i really like Cho, but just have no luck with him

Doriantv

12-17-2010

Why do you have 3 Doran's Rings? You don't need any more than one. Hell, I start many games with a Doran's Shield.

Cho'Gath is viable as Pure AP, AP/Tank, and Pure Tank. I usually play him as a straight up tank, but I've been experimenting with AP/Tank.

Pure AP Items:
Zhonya's Ring
Deathfire Grasp
Void Staff

Tank/AP Items:
Rod of Ages
Rylai's Crystal Scepter

Pure Tank Items:
Aegis of the Legion (Aura buff)
Soul Shroud (Aura buff)
Frozen Heart (Aura debuff)
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil (recently nerfed)

Note that I don't take Guardian's Angel. Why? Because all it does is rez you at 600 health, and a 600 health Cho isn't getting away. Trust me, I used to like the item.

If you keep getting 1v5'd, either your map awareness isn't good, or your team never runs in after you initiate. I can't help you except telling you to get better teammates.

Defisme

12-17-2010

1) stop stacking your ring one is good enough for you to reap mp reg along with passive
2) decide if your tanking or not so and let team know.. then build towards that.

skill order whetehr your tanking or not should be R/Q/W/E, lvl 1-6 imo q/w/e/q/w/r

be passive early on unless you can kill champs... use your q on champs that are near minons, dont waste it on champs by themselve unless they will die from your Q/W combo.

your job is to farm and get geard and destroy and NOM NOM (eat) everyone .. you can silence whole team , knock them up, and if necessary BITE on their carry so your team can burn him down first.

So the problem now is that they ignore you and go for your sqishy, you have to make then not ignore you.. and you can do this by

A) taking a bite out of their carry
b) timing silience so that when other team initator comes in he a sitting duck..
c) timing your Q to knock up people who try to run. or just harrasing them.

Doriantv

12-17-2010

Yeah, I'm a Cho player and I still make the mistake of premature silencing. In a fight, save it for when you can at least get 3 people with it.

Valhirien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2010

Ok, so if not stack at least 2 rings at the beginning then what item to rush? cause i find 4mp/5 regen from only one ring far from enough :/ maybe i'm using abilities to much then :P Anyway, what item should i get ASAP? I wanted to be AP with some beef to keep me alive, since i gotta get close to use ult. Thought that FoN and thornmail/frozen heart would be good as survivability items. Still i think FoN is a must since Cho's slow as hell..

Defisme

12-17-2010

you just might be using your skills too much, no point of harrassing and tyring to force a kill

follow rule

1) Q only when champ is near at least 2 creeps (make sure q hits creeps too)
2) W only if champ is trying to kill your lane partner or following a Q combo for a kill
3) if rule 1/2 does not applay auto attack and use your E to kill creeps and farm.

Items In my opinion if your following top rule

Doran ring 1 hp

follow step up and hug turrent if you have to and stay farming unless your >20% hp then go back to base and buy Catalyst the Protector. If you find yourself not being able to stay long enough to get that, go back to base and get Saphire crystal and 2-3 hp pots.. finsh Catalyst then you should be able to lane to finish Rod of ages and boots.. from then on get rylias or other ap items

Valhirien

12-18-2010

So starting with doran's, next boots then RoA and after that FoN? Are those good for first items?

LeBear

12-18-2010

Unless your enemy team is heavy AP I would suggest getting a BVeil over FoN.

The item you want after RoA is dependent on your other team. If it's a heavy CC/ AP team, get BVeil.

If they're mostly AD heroes, Randuin's Omen or Frozen Heart are both a good idea(I would probably delay Frozen Heart til later.)

Another good early choice is an Aegis as that increases the whole team's survivability and helps eliminate that 1v5 problem you're getting as your team wont be dying as easy.

Dactylos

12-18-2010

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=28942

This is a great guide on a tanky Cho to end all Tank Cho's.

If your going AP I would suggest RoA then boots. (Rushing RoA is always a good move)

Next go Archangels Staff. The extra mana will keep you running forever, and it will convert the mana from RoA to AP.

After that it depends... if your getting facerolled by Casters, a Banshees is nice. If your getting stomped by Stabby ADs, a Frozen Heart does wonders.

If your doing just fine, cause your awesome, then stack on the AP.

Zhonya's Ring is probably one of the best straight up AP items out there.

Mejai's is good if you find yourself stomping peoples faces... and Cho has alot of survivability to keep his stacks.

Void Staff is good if they start to fear your giant nomming face and start stacking magic resists.

There is no one item build to end all item builds. You need to take stock of your enemies and adapt.

Finally... level E first. You will farm minions like no ones business. Focus on Q next. Rupture is a great harass early game.

When you start getting some damage items, then you want to switch to W and start leveling it for the burst.

I dont need to tell you to use R everytime it is on cooldown... and use it on minions to get stacks, right? The only time you wanna use it on a champ is if you have 6 stacks or are going to gank.

There.... hope that helped. Cho is kinda my main... but I usually play him tanky.

Valhirien

12-18-2010

Thought about going something like this :
Mercs/Tabi
RoA
FoN
Rylai's
Thornmail/Frozen heart

and using 6th slot either for wards or some other item (AA staff, BV, Quicksilver or Zhonya's, maybe Gunblade or Will of Ancients)