Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Nunu-Need Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zizzefex

12-24-2009

Quote:
Saupa:
Hey,

I started playing Nunu recently, but I'm not sure about the runes and mastery, I'm playing low elo, and I just want to lane for now.....

this is what I start in order,please correct me if I'm buying the wrong items:

Any Suggestions and Tips,Strategies will be welcome

I'm sick of failing as a nunu, so please I want to get better.

Thank you very much.

I play a lot of Nunu (90% of my games or more) and AP Nunu builds make me angry. Nunu has 1 spell (which has a low cooldown yes) and 1 easily avoidable ultimate (which at level 6... ok... people there might not be able to avoid it). But Nunu is not a caster... he's a initiator/slower/tank.

For your first questions. I put all Magic Penetration in my red runes... because 90% of your good damage is magic (you'll get some auto-hits in but they aren't your primary damage, Iceblast is). I have Dodge runes in my yellow's... they are the cheapest way of increasing my effective hp... and scales.... in that when your level 18 is it just as good if not better than at lev 1. I have Cooldown reduction in my blues (90% of your damage is iceblast).

For masteries.. go Utility. If your level 6.... do the hp/mana regen, 1 point in teleport, and 2 in bonus xp... keep going down utility until you hit the bottom. Then go down to the magic pen mastery in the offense tree.

I use Teleport and Flash. Teleport is almost a must if your getting beat on in a lane you can recall back to base and buy a few health pots and teleport back with minimal loss of xp. Teleport is awesome throughout the game as well. Flash gets me out of other Nunu's Ults, Kat's ult, lots of ganks... saves my ass a lot. At level 6 though......... since you cant get Flash till level 12.... if your having trouble laning... I'd suggest Heal. While your figuring the game out... Heal is not that bad. You'll switch it out when you get better but while your learning its highly recommended.

I've done both Sapphire Crystal -> Catalyst, or Doran Shield -> whatever, a lot. Both has it's plus's and minus's. Without Sapphire Crystal you will find yourself out of mana in the lane and out of mana quite a bit in ganks/early game.... you will have to go back to base quite often. But this isn't so bad really... because you usually need to get your hp back anyways. I started with the Sapphire+2 health pots, I can't say it's bad, and it was good to start with. If you were getting shut down in a lane (it definitely happens as Nunu vs top end ranged champions)... you could stay back... and Ice Blast low hp minions to at least get some cash. I use Dorans Shield now for the extra hp+armor now.... but you'd run out of mana a lot until you got used to it.

This is my item build now, and is a tank build, and is dependent on your teammates not sucking, but you can get some kills and tons of assists usually regardless:

1. Doran Shield -> Boots -> HP Crystal -> Giant Belt. At this point you are very beefy and can tower dive quite succesfully a lot... especially if you have Flash. But you have low mana and can run out of mana if your not careful... especially if you use your ult.

2. Glacial Shroud -> finish Frozen Heart -> finish Mercury Treads or Ninja Tab. Once you finish your shroud you can spam Ice Blast... and you have the mana to do it. Ice Blast slows for 4 seconds and with the Shroud.... you can cast it every 4 seconds or less so your victim will get permanently slowed. Most people hate this... they will target you.

3. finish Warmogs. At this point youll have boots, Heart, Warmogs, game will be over one way or the other by now. Nunu isn't the greatest farmer but if the game drags on I'd get another Warmogs...

Anyways good luck :> And dont be another AP Nunu lol. God they make me angry!@!@!@!

Saupa

12-24-2009

I just tried Hamm's item, and it's going great, but I fought bots so I'm going to give it a real test now.

Saupa

12-24-2009

Zizzefex (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=39891&page=2#) thank you, what's AP stands for?

Zizzefex

12-24-2009

Also want to say every game when it's loading.. to determine how well you will be able to use your Ult for damage.... you need to count how many enemies have a stun/fear/knockback... and remember them. And then count how many have a blink/Flash too... they can get out of your Ultimate just as easy. Then once the stuns fly... be near someone without blink/Flash and start up your ult.

And yea.. keep bloodboil on 3 carries if you got em. You'll pretty much win.

Edit: AP = Ability Power. What 9/10 of the guides and what most people want to buy with him lol :>

nicosharp

12-24-2009

zizz, your build works, but neglects mana regen.. If you 'can' spam ice blast, that is great, but you need mana to support it, and no where in your build is attack speed to keep the free casts going. If you are going to play nunu as a tank great, but you wont hit towers too hard, and you will have to be speccing up blood boil right away. AP nunu takes a bit of finese to survive, but you get gold so much faster, and its more about CD reduction and mana regen over AP, you can still go DPS or Tank after the CD reduc and mana regen. I've seen all 3 builds work on nunu, DPS best for Jungling, Tank best when you lack a solid tank/initiator, and AP/regen when you want to just harass like crazy.

Nullname

12-24-2009

I play (relatively) high ELO Nunu with great success and this is how I build him:

Spells: Exhaust and Smite. Always pick up the masteries for these.

Masteries: 9/21/0 Archaic Knowledge is top priority. So if you're not level 30 go 9 in offense and dumb the rest in defense. Unless you're from levels 18-26 (you need the smite/exhaust masteries) where you should go at least 16 in defense to pick up Veteran's Scars. If you're level 25 and above make sure to pick up Veteran's Scars and Archaic Knowledge.

Runes
Ideally you want
Red - Magic Resist/level
Yellow - Dodge
Blue - Magic Resist (flat)
Quint - Fortitude (Flat HP)

However unless you want to build a book specifically for Nunu that could get a little expensive. I run
Red - Armor Pen
Yellow - Dodge
Blue - Magic Resist / Level
Quint - Fortitude (Flat HP)

Items:
Doran's Ring and a health potion to start.

After 785 gold and level 4 (blood boil) I like to recall to pick up another Doran's Ring and Boots 1. I then bloodboil myself in spawn and run back to lane.

Then I farm up 1325 if possible for Catalyst

Then I build Boots 2. This should be either Ninja Tabi or Mercury's Treads. 85% of the time it'll be Mercury's Treads because CC is too good in this game. 2 things to look for is their number of physical carries. If they have 3 or more physical carries (Ashe, Tryndamere, Jax) for example I'll grab Ninja Tabi. Otherwise I'll grab Mercs assuming they have a decent amount of stuns/slows. Most of the time they won't have 3 physical carries and you'll upgrade your Boots 1 to Mercury's Treads.

Then I upgrade my Catalyst to Banshee's Veil. This helps tremendously in getting your ult off. This usually happens around level 10-12. It's worth not getting full benefit of your catalyst.

Then I'll build Aegis of the Legion; but usually the main tank has already built Aegis. So in that case I build Void Staff for some yummy Magic Pen. It doesn't matter if they're stacking Magic Resist or not; magic pen is always great.
Then I'll grab a Guardian Angel if I have a few deaths or a Frozen Heart if they're physical and I haven't been dying (and the tank doesn't have one). (Sell a Doran's Ring if you get this far and you had to buy Aegis for you team.)
Usually I only get to the Void Staff/Aegis.

This build will end with a little over 3000 health which is plenty. You shouldn't be the main tank but you can definitely take a few hits. Don't forget to buy Blue Elixirs if the game drags on.

Skill Order is:
Level 1: Ice Blast first if you're team fighting over lizard/golem or Dragon. This usually happens. If your team is just grabbing a buff and going to lanes I'll get consume to tank Lizard/Golem. If we're not getting any buff and just going to lanes I get Ice Blast.
Level 2: Consume or Ice Blast, whatever you didn't get at level 1.
After this the priority is Absolute Zero (R) > Ice Blast (E) > Blood Boil (W) > Consume (Q).
Get a rank of blood boil at level 4 and remember to keep this on your physical carries in team fights and if you're good on mana keep it on you and/or your lanemate (if he's a physical carry).
1 Level of Consume should be enough to keep you in lane long enough to farm your Catalyst, etc.
And don't forget that if you're on your teams lane that is closer to lizard buff: if your smite and consume are both up, take a trip to the close neutral spawn that's under/above lizard depending on what team you're on (It'll be Golems or Wolves) and smite one; kill it, then consume the other and finish it. This'll give your lane a slight experience advantage. Only do this if your lane mate is in lane though; obviously.

Oh and have fun with Nunu's OP ult while you can. 700 or so AoE Damage at level 6? Yes please.

Enjoy.

Zizzefex

12-24-2009

I won't lie... until I get a Sage Ring for the Glacial Shroud... mana is sometimes pretty tight. And coincidentally I do level up blood boil right away to get the free casts. Usually I have enough mana to harass with Ice Blast and bloodboil both me and my partner.... though I have a full utility tree and Meditation helps A LOT.

Once you get the Sage Ring though you have well over 1k mana and can spam it for quite a while if your getting any sort of free casts. Mana problems are basically over after that.

I don't see how AP Nunu hits a tower any harder than tank Nunu mind you. It might work for a while vs phys carries but even Annie/Veig/Kass eventually get rofl-stomped by phys carries once they get 2 big items.

Saupa

12-24-2009

i've been playing so far hamms build check it out:

1) Saphire crystl + 2x health pot.
2) Catalyst of the Protector
3) Boots
4) Catalyst becomes Rod of Ages.
5) Boots become boots of swiftness.
6) Nashors tooth (For Cooldown reduction not for damage)
7) Zonia's Ring

i'm doing great so far, but I have a question what should I buy after Zonias Ringt?

nicosharp

12-24-2009

end the game. (shouldnt need anything after the Ring, maybe Void Staff.)
The hardest thing to do once you try a build and its working.. is to adjust your play style, and try another. So hard to make a good base-line comparison in this game, cause player skill is so varied, but I do recommend you try a few other approaches to Nunu.

Dustinsanity

12-26-2009

What the heck is up with his Ult being canceled after getting hit? That's just messed up!