Nexus Tag (how to cope with Surrender penalties)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arafel

Friend of Urf

12-23-2009

Hey guys! First guide, so I'll be updating it regularly as you all put in your input, but I hope I won't have to change too much. I've done this strat enough now that I think I might have a it almost perfected, however, I know I'm not the only one with this playstyle, so comments are welcome!

On to the good stuff!

NEXUS TAG

Sometimes when you're playing a LoL game, things just get out of hand. You're getting steamrolled, there's absolutely no comeback possible outside of all five of your opponents dying in real life simultaneously, and you're not having fun. For some reason, two people on your team won't surrender because they're either delusional or think it's dishonorable to surrender. The 3/2 split will be even less likely once Surrender penalties go through, so here's a strategy to try out instead: touch your enemy's Nexus. It's more fun than sitting in the Fountain, and gives you an outlet to try another game while you're playing this game.

There are two important parts of playing Nexus Tag-

1. You must let your allies know that you'll be playing Nexus Tag until the game ends via surrender or your Nexus dying. It would be cruel to let them think you might help gank from a strategic location just because you happen to be passing by.
  2. You must let the enemies know your intentions. Inform them that you're playing Nexus Tag, because if your teammates are playing as well (which many will be likely to once Surrender penalties are in), they give you a random element of obstacles in the jungles! This encourages team competition on both sides (who can touch the enemy's Nexus, who can gank those playing NT).
Now that we've got the basics cleared, it's time to get on to the guide!

What heroes excel at Nexus Tag?
While I wouldn't encourage you to play Nexus Tag outside of trying to make your inevitable defeat at the game more fun, there are some champions that are better at the NT metagame. Most notable are those who can blink, such as Kassadin, Shaco, Corki, or Tryndamere. Being able to run through the jungle and bypass the first set of base turrets gives a hero a tremendous advantage in Nexus Tag. Run speed is important as well, and heroes like Janna, Teemo, Udyr, and Nidalee can make it through to the base much faster than the blinkers. Twitch and Evelynn can also play quite well, being able to take a straight path through minions, but I wouldn't encourage their use, as enemies that participate in your event are likely to buy wards and elixirs to counter them.

Important Note: Twisted Fate is disqualified from the Nexus Tag metagame. Because he still functions important in normal League play, I can't have him banned from the game itself. But the ability to simply port onto the opposing Nexus from anywhere on the map is obviously broken.

What heroes hard counter Nexus Tag?
As mentioned above, Twisted Fate does all kinds of **** to break Nexus Tag. His ultimate will completely wreck your team by giving away all of your positions as you try and make your way through to the other Nexus. Teemo, Heimerdinger, Shaco, and Nidalee are all also great counters as they can set up traps through the jungles to show your movement paths. Be wary of these as you make your way through--remember to change your path as necessary if one of these gives you away.

What Masteries should I use for Nexus Tag?
A 0/15/15 Mastery tree is optimal for those planning to play Nexus Tag (that is, solo queue)
Defense:
1/3 Resistance
3/3 Hardiness
4/4 Evasion
1/1 Nimbleness
3/3 Harden Skin
3/4 Veteran's Scars

Utility
3/3 Good Hands
1/3 Perseverance
4/4 Awareness
4/4 Expanded Mind
3/3 Quickness

Quickness, Good Hands, Harden Skin, and Veteran's Scars are the big ones here. You might want to trade one point in Quickness for one point in Veteran's scars depending on how afraid you are of inner turrets. Being able to run through a creep wave AND a turret might ensure your victory over someone else playing NT that is afraid and chooses to wait for the wave to pass. Then again, if they have 3/3 in Quickness, they may make it there soon enough that it won't matter. Nexus Tag is a very risky game...

What Summoner Spells are best for Nexus Tag?
This is where things get iffy. Ghost, Flash, Clairvoyance, and Teleport are all very useful for Nexus Tag. Flash is almost always a necessity just for the ability to jump over the base wall or avoid getting ganked in the woods by enemies participating in your Nexus Tag event. Ghost helps you run there a little quicker or avoid a gank. Clairvoyance can scout a path ahead if you think the enemy might be waiting for you because they're all MIA. Teleport is my personal favorite if only because of its conjunction with Wards for mind games--you make it just to their base, maybe even pass the wall, and someone on your team narcs on you. The enemy begins to port in, but first you drop a ward! Now, whether you die or not (and if you do, you're properly spec'd into Good Hands), you can port immediately into their base and touch their Nexus for an amazing play!

What items are best for Nexus Tag?
Another dispute between Nexus Tag players is what items you should get. A lot of Taggers call me a noob for getting Move3 boots instead of Mobility, but I don't think the 2 extra movespeeds through the jungle make up for the 1 you lose with Mobility under fire. Being able to move fast while an inner turret is hitting you is very important, as enemies that spot you at their inner turret may Teleport quickly in and every footstep is an advantage in Nexus Tag. Outside of boots, you do want to get some move speed items like Force of Nature and Zeal, but HP items are important as well. And as mentioned before, Wards can become deadly in conjunction with Teleport.

That's all I can think of right now, but if any of you other taggers have suggestions, please let me know!

Paero

12-23-2009

So are there any bonus points in getting back to your nexus alive?

Arafel

Friend of Urf

12-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paero View Post
So are there any bonus points in getting back to your nexus alive?
Wow. That's something that I hadn't even thought about before, because whenever I play, I just die on the Nexus. I'm sure it's possible with champs tailored to Nexus Tag's metagame, like the blinkers, but I don't play any of them very often. I'll discuss this with some of the top tier players and see what we decide about scoring.

maxifer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-23-2009

i vote we start doing these iin practice games

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-23-2009

Janna's pretty good at Nexus tag because she's great at kiting other players.

Arafel

Friend of Urf

12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senate View Post
Janna's pretty good at Nexus tag because she's great at kiting other players.
Granted, but if you have other players on you, they're likely to set up a gank while you try to kite as Janna.

Yana

12-24-2009

This sounds like a lot of fun. More fun than playing target dummy for my opponents anyway.

railspider

12-24-2009

I don't even like League of Legends. I just play each game in the hope my team will fail, so that I can play NEXUS TAG.

To get to the enemy Nexus, hit it once, then get back to my home Nexus (no using B) - that is my ultimate goal.

Hyfe

12-24-2009

So basically nexus tag is to LoL what DOTA was to WC3...

Pendragon... please commence work on a new standalone game.

Its like a sick neverending cycle.

bobthegood

12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfe View Post
So basically nexus tag is to LoL what DOTA was to WC3...

Pendragon... please commence work on a new standalone game.

Its like a sick neverending cycle.
aahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahah!

Because sometimes, typing lol doesn't accurately portray the true emotion.