10 Rules You May Not Have Heard: Mid-Elo Tricks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ktkenshinx

12-15-2010

Summary
1. Never insult your allies for any reason
2. If your allies start insulting each other, maturely intervene
3. NEVER use any champion you don't have a 55+ win percentage with
4. When in doubt, play a tank that can initiate (Rammus, Shen, etc.)
5. Never return to your lane without at least 1 Health Potion and 1 Ward
6. If you are in the laning phase and have under 30% health, go heal
7. JUNGLERS: If you see the enemy jungler top, go Dragon
8. Once laning phase is over, NEVER leave base without 1 Ward
9. Explain in EXCRUCIATING DETAIL how you want a gank to work
10. Win team fight, destroy closest buildings, go heal. DO NOT LINGER.

There are a lot of threads out there that list some fairly non-concrete ways that you can improve your gameplay. I always wonder how helpful it is when players read "have map awareness", "learn a good hero", "talk with allies", especially if they don't have any clue about what that means in the first place. In the past few days, as of writing this thread, I have dropped from 1596 ELO to 1410, and am feeling rather lousy about my fellow LoL players. In that spirit, for all those who also suffer from the ELO-blues, who want to get better with some concise and concrete rules, and who want to read some LoL strategy, I give this guide.

This article is intended for people between 1300 and 1600 ELO who want to move up. My ELO fell in part because I forgot these maxims, and I hope you find this helpful. I am always happy to take any criticisms or suggestions.

THE RULES

INTERPERSONAL RULES
When you insult an ally, no matter the reason, (unless it is clearly in jest: For example, when your 11-0 Udyr dies for the first time and you write in all chat "FEED MOAR NUB"), there is a pretty decent chance that they are going to get mad. In fact, there is a darn good chance that they are going to get mad because this is the internet, and you always need to assume that internet folks are in a perpetual state of teetering rage.
It does NOT matter why you are mad at them. It does not matter if their build is bad, their laning is lousy, and they haven't hit a skillshot since Pudge Wars in 2005. In the ELOs that I am concerned with, 1300+, your allies are capable enough to play this game at a semi-decent level. Remember this!
But the moment you get them angry, their game play will steadily deteriorate. It's like a reverse Mejai's snowball item to hell - every time you insult them, they build up anger stacks, and the more anger stacks they have, the worse they play.
How does this anger manifest? If you are lucky, they might just leave. If not, they won't help you gank, they won't defend you from ganks, they won't push with you, they will go AFK, they will feed, they will farm jungle all game, they will solo Baron, etc. It's a long and nasty list, and you can avoid it by not insulting people.
Think of it this way: assume all of your allies are 13 year old teenagers who play this game for self-validation in an otherwise grim and depressing world. If you bring bullying into their safe haven, they will go ballistic. The other team will be more than happy to see it go down like this, so don't be the instigator.
As an extension, resolve to never use the following words and their synonyms: bro, dude, braw, kid, brosef, shhhhhh, buddy, etc.

Sometimes you get people on your team that won't have read this article. In fact, it seems like these players never received any basic parenting past the age of 2. When they rage at you, you can just ignore it and be cool: "sorry about that first blood, i got too aggressive" or "****, i didn't get my ult off in time, sorry you died". Always be the bigger man and it will go a long way to improving morale.
When your allies insult eachother, however, bad things happen. One insult leads to another. Obscenities get increasingly worse, and the insults get decreasingly mature. If left unchecked, you can guarantee that someone is going to reverse snowball into the pit of anger, and your game is going to be lost.
BEFORE IT GETS TO THAT POINT, YOU MUST INTERVENE POLITELY. The vast majority of intra-team insults result from deaths, especially accusations of feeding and being noob. When this starts, step in and drop one of the following lines:
"calm down guys. it's fine"
"don't worry, it's just one death"
"it's ok, he died but he's still well farmed"
"that was a close fight anyway"
"meh don't worry, that was a massive gank"
"it's cool, i'll be down to gank in a second. im farming well up here"
"their team is just so bad. one death wont matter"

Or whatever variation you see fit. This will keep your team positive, and show them that there is at least one mature and rational player on their team. This goes a long, long way to preserving your team's morale and keeping people working together.

CHAMPION SELECTION RULES
This rule gets violated in two ways: first, you want to play something new and different and second, your allies ask you to play something.
The first way is the worst, because it is selfish and poorly thought out. Truth: Every Ranked game has at least one tryhard in it. If he is on your team, you do not want to make him mad.
There is some debate about this, but for the most part, people play ranked to test themselves against other players in a more official setting. ELO is a public snapshot of your skill, and people get touchy about anything that reflects on oneself publicly. Even if you don't think that ranked games are serious, at least one person on your team will, and you are setting yourself up for a loss if you screw around with him this game. Try out your new innovations in normal games where there are no stakes for anyone involved. That means no jungle Karthus, no DPS Mundo, no tank Annie, etc., unless you have tried it in normal at least 5 times.
The second time that people choose a champ they are bad with is with really good intentions: When an ally asks you to play someone. Oftentimes, this is a tank or jungler. When your captain says "can you play a good jungle Shen" and you find yourself shaking your head while simultaneously locking him in, you are doing your team a big disservice. It is much better to just admit "sorry, i'm not great with him. Ill Udyr instead?" or something to that effect. Better to take a little **** now ("lol bad with shen? noob") instead of a ton of it later ("/all 0/12/5 Shen = GG")

4. When in doubt, play a tank that can initiate
One of the biggest problems with team comps is lack of initiation. If you just chill in front of a tower, moving your hero back and forth aimlessly, randomly poking the enemy, you eventually need to have someone go in and start the battle. Most players, however, don't know how to do this, or at least don't know how to do it well. You can fill in that badly needed gap by taking up this role. Amumu, Gragas, Malphite, Rammus, Shen; all of these fit the bill.
Additionally, if there's one thing teams lack, it is probably a tank and an initiator. Carry? Check. AP burst? Check. Jungler? Sometimes check. But it is so rare to see a volunteer for the tanking job. You can't rely on your allies, so rely on yourself. Learn one and your allies will love you. Everyone loves a team player, and nothing says "team player" more like "Gonna jungle Shen" at the champ selection screen.
Finally, you can have redundant tanky initiators on your team without hurting your overall team composition. Three carries? Probably too many, and your squishiness is going to get abused. Three AP? Way too many, and stacked MR is going to hurt you later on. But multiple tanks? So long as you also have at least one carry, the more the merrier.

IN-GAME RULES
Health Potion: 300 HP regeneration is critical for extended laning, especially with the new patch decrease in level-up healing. It can save you in a tight fight, a tower dive, or a surprise gank. It lets you farm longer and safer. It also discourages harassing just by being in your inventory; opponents will be less likely to waste resources on you if they know you can heal damage back.
Sight Ward next: WARDS ARE CONDOMS. DONT DO DANGEROUS THINGS WITHOUT THEM. That tiny 90 gold investment prevents big, gamechanging problems. It gives you 3.5 minutes of relative immunity to ganks (barring TF and Pantheon globals). If you are in a duo lane, you are also helping your ally. If you are in a solo lane, you are protecting your team's valuable carry (yourself). This is slightly different for junglers, although they should try to return with a ward every other trip (or something to that effect).
Where do you place them? Depending on your lane and side, here's a guide:
Bot lane, top team: Lower bush by mouth of river. Prevents ganks.
Bot lane, bottom team: In front of Dragon. Enemy jungler will come from either blue buff or into your jungle near mid. Either way, you will see him coming. Also controls dragon. DO NOT PLACE IT IN BUSH. You can cover both dragon and guard from ganks with the ward in middle of river.
Mid lane, top team: In lone bush near Dragon. Gives you decent Dragon cover and lets you see junglers come from the bottom jungle, where Red and most of the creeps are.
Mid lane, bottom team: In lone bush near Baron. You lose Dragon control in this case (which is picked up by your bottom lane warders), but you guard the post-red gank from a jungler.
Top lane, top team: In front of Baron with line of sight of blue buff ramp. Gives you cover from post-Blue ganks, and also helps cover mid.
Top lane, bottom team: In bush at mouth of river. You can't put it at Baron because then they can sneak around its line of sight (with skill). Protects you from ganks.

Here's a familiar situation: you are laning bot with your partner, and you win a fight against your lane enemies. You kill one and force the other recall. You proceed to farm with 250 health, no ultimates, and no summoner abilities. Suddenly, the double buffed WW ghosts in and gets a double kill. Rage ensues on your team, and snide remarks come over in all chat.
Avoid this problem. There's a reason that the cocky "CLEAN UP CREW INCOMING" line has become a staple of many LoL games, and it is easy to prevent. When at under 30% health, go shop. Go heal. Back off and return with your clicking finger relaxed and better items.
This does not apply to Mundo. Mundo goes where he pleases (but only if you played him well in at least 5 normal games).

As long as your bottom lane is still intact and your mid is still alert, you have 4 bot as opposed to your opponent's 3. If you have your Razor ready to go, you are either going to A) kill Dragon, or B) force a fight that you can win and THEN take Dragon.
"But ktkenshinx, it's warded". This doesn't matter. If your bot lane keeps the bot enemies occupied, and your mid solo keeps the enemy mid solo busy, that leaves you in peace to Dragon. If they dive you, win the 4v3, and then take Dragon.

Remember. Wards are like Condoms. The riskier business you engage in, the more you need them. The mid and late game are full of risky moments where everyone is MIA, Baron is in the fog, and you are blithely farming the blue buff. That's where your Wards come in.
Stick it at Baron, at enemy buffs, at Dragon, at jungle choke points, etc. But make sure you are the one with the Ward, even if no one else is getting them. Map awareness wins games, and if you get a ward every time you go B to base, you do two things. First, you contribute to your team's map awareness. Even if no one watches the mini map, if you ping an incoming gank frantically, even the dumbest 1350+ players will notice.
Second, you pressure allies to get wards too. If you keep buying them and then say "hey, can someone grab some wards for ____ (Insert place here)", they will be more likely to do so.

Most players in a ranked solo game are not on Vent. All they have is the chat box and their knowledge of the game to guide them. If you want to gank the farming MF mid, which sentence is better:
1. "NOOB JUNGLER GANK MID"
2. "Rammus, can you gank mid?"
3. "Rammus, Im gonna bait MF. When I ping, go in"
4. "Rammus, I am going to start a fight with MF. When she gets to half health, powerball/flash in. Taunt her IMMEDIATELY so she cant flash away and turn your ult on. Ill stun. We kill. GG."
Sentence 1 is more likely to prevent any ganks for the rest of the game, and it violates the first rule of this article. 2 leaves too much in Rammus's hands, and if your Ram isn't the most competent ganker, this is a bad idea. 3 is slightly better, but there is a huge chance for miscommunication and a fail gank. 4 is by far the best, even though it takes a few seconds, the almost guaranteed kill will be worth it in the end. If anyone thinks "only a nerd would do that", then I advise you play Normal instead.

10. Win team fight, destroy closest buildings, go heal. DO NOT LINGER
An infuriating number of deaths in LoL come from greed. Let us ignore all the tower-diving, low-hp fight, rage-induced greed deaths and focus on the most game changing one: the post-push greed. Whenever you win a team fight, you should immediately destroy the closest buildings (towers or inhibitors). Alternately, if this is not attainable, you should jack their jungle. But IMMEDIATELY AFTER, you must go heal.
This is most noticeable in the classic and endlessly frustrating post mid-push wipe. Is this scenario familiar? You win a team fight and take mid tower and inhibitor. You then waste time in enemy base poking at towers and farming minions until all of the enemy champions revive. They then kill 2-3 of your allies, leave one of them at base, and go Baron. Game gets turned around from that point onwards.
KNOW YOUR OBJECTIVES. Once you get the inhibitor, go into the jungle bushes and immediately recall. You can quickly reestablish Baron control and prevent your opponent from getting a morale-boosting ace.

To recap:
4. When in doubt, play a tank that can initiate (Rammus, Shen, etc.)
10. Win team fight, destroy closest buildings, go heal. DO NOT LINGER.

All suggestions and criticisms are welcome.
-ktkenshinx

Leirkov

12-15-2010

I love you.

Alex Pan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2010

4. "Rammus, I am going to start a fight with MF. When she gets to half health, powerball/flash in. Taunt her IMMEDIATELY so she cant flash away and turn your ult on. Ill stun. We kill. GG." = 5 minion kills

ryzeonline

12-15-2010

Wow. Just wow.

Every now and then I come across a guide that goes above other guides. A guide not just about how to use 1 of the 600000 champions, but a guide on how to co-operate with the other 80% of your team and secure a harmonized, unified WIN.

Or at least a fun play-experience

Bravo ktkenshinx, you rock.

StoneyRivers

12-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pan View Post
4. "Rammus, I am going to start a fight with MF. When she gets to half health, powerball/flash in. Taunt her IMMEDIATELY so she cant flash away and turn your ult on. Ill stun. We kill. GG." = 5 minion kills
Agreed, this takes way too long to type and is completely unnecessary. If the Rammus is decent at all, he will do this anyway - just tell him to gank mid and start the fight with MF after he acknowledges.

Fire of Michael

12-15-2010

Better solution. Get a mike for ranked. Then you can do both the farm and the gank at the same time. Technology Go!!

JackerP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-15-2010

Besides #9, it's pretty good.

You're vastly overestimating most players if you think they will read and actually execute "Rammus, I am going to start a fight with MF. When she gets to half health, powerball/flash in. Taunt her IMMEDIATELY so she cant flash away and turn your ult on. Ill stun. We kill. GG."

Plus you may type fast and without having to look at the keyboard, but not everyone does. I see this with my friends. They get the right idea like you typing 4 full sentences but I've seen tons of time where they will have to look at the keyboard and by the time they have it done some **** has already started because the lane thought it was 3v2 not 2v2 with the jungler just standing in the bush doing nothing.

seajaydub

12-15-2010

Best solution, get a mic* for ranked. Some of us can't afford a personal LoL advisor named Mike. Mikes are expensive.

nkhatri3

12-15-2010

Love it

XcaIibur

12-15-2010

this is great, the more people follow these the elss elo hellish it might be