New Free Champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exodam

12-28-2009

can we get kassadin for next week i wana try him out

Aknar

12-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyan View Post
She is Melee DPS. She strikes at melee range, therefore she is melee.
well yes she is melee alright but not DPS,she dosen't have the "oh ****" jumping of jax or the right click rampage of yi and tristana

XLeagueOfLegendX

12-29-2009

evelynn lol
next week every team is going to have her in it xD

Tirendus

12-29-2009

Evelynn is great I've opened her cuz of her skin, just to see what kind of hero she is and she was worth the time I've spent to collect IP.

GBash

12-29-2009

Continuing the rotation debat, I would still say that making all champions available at practise games or even bot games will solve everything.

If people want to try out a champion this would be an easy way to start knowing him without actually the need to buy him/her/it.

With that solution we don't need those silly rotations anymore.

XLeagueOfLegendX

12-29-2009

i agree..
If they put twitch as a free..
The game is ruined every game will have it and many people will complain and totaly lose in PvP as eve and stuff the expensive characters
Should stop doing rotations

RiotChris

Director of Publishing

12-29-2009
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Why Rotate?
We currently rotate the 10 free Champions so players who haven't spent too long in the game can try out a few different champions. If they want the convenience of playing the Champions whenever they want, they can unlock them by playing (and earning Influence Points) or for Riot Points.

We also want to let people try a Champion out before spending earned points to unlock them.

Making all the Champions free in practice mode only would drive a large part of our player base into just the practice games. Having more people in match-making means shorter queue times and more even matches (here's why), so moving lots of players into practice games (unless they just need practice) isn't great. Besides, that would make it seem like we are charging for match-making.

How do you choose Champions?
We are trying to do 3 things:
1. Give new players some easy to play options
2. Give new players a mix of Champion types so you can have a viable Champion mix with only new players (yes the types are debatable because many Champions can be played more than one way)
3. Give experienced players a chance to try new Champions

The first goal does mean we rotate in some Champions more than others.

I hope that gives you insight into our motivations - I've attached a chart to let you look at which Champions have been in past rotations.

What do you think?
Given all this information, do you still think we should do 10 permanently free Champions and end the rotations (as suggested here)?

We're always open to making the game better.

- RiotChris

Pinith

12-29-2009

I like the rotation strategy, but I don't like how it tends to skew games each week. If Ashe is free, every game has two Ashe's... if Yi is free, every game has two Yi's. This is more noticable at the "noobier" play range, but it definitely makes games a bit less interesting.

It'd be nice if the ten free champions were somehow dependent on the player. So Player A might have Ashe and Yi, while Player B might have Teemo and Morgana. You'd have to somehow guard against people making tons of accounts just to "unlock" all champions, however. Something like a modulo of each IP address to determine which "set" of free champions they got?

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

12-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What do you think?
Given all this information, do you still think we should do 10 permanently free Champions and end the rotations (as suggested here)?

We're always open to making the game better.

- RiotChris
No, the rotations are the best way for easy introduction, but quite a few members would like a rental option to try some of the more expensive heroes without fully investing 6300 ip
maybe rent them for a few days for 630 ip

private

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
No, the rotations are the best way for easy introduction, but quite a few members would like a rental option to try some of the more expensive heroes without fully investing 6300 ip
maybe rent them for a few days for 630 ip
I definitely like this idea, but the rentals would have to be a one time per champion thing.

Also, when picking champions, players who purchased the champion should have priority over those who are using them temporarily (or who rented them if the above idea is implemented)

I would support unlocking all champions in practice games, even if it meant a longer queue time. I would much rather play with strong players who are good with their characters and wait a couple minutes then waste 25 minutes because we have 2 people who have never played their champion before and have only played a few matches overall.