[Guide]Alistar, The Ultimate in Lane Control, Gank, and Push.

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raiqualar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-02-2010

Solid guide and build, I'd just like to point out that mana manipulator only stacks twice- you can't have your whole team have mana manipulators and expect ridiculous regen. Also, in your laning strategy, more than 1 or 2 summoner spell 'heal' is redundant, because after you use it all heals are reduced effect. A couple of clarity's would probably be better because you have healers on your team.

Ubersoldat

01-02-2010

I've had a growing interest in Alistar lately as well, from seeing good players dominate their lane with him. I'm mostly interested in an AP build (I know it's silly) but I haven't had any success. I'll give this a shot, looks like a well written guide.

Edit: I'd like to point out that you don't have Glacial Shroud in your item build section but you mention that you should use it. I'm assuming where you put Glacial Shroud you meant Soul Shroud.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2010

it was edited. i once recommended frozen heart but i removed it until next patch.
in this version, frozen heart's attack speed reduciton is additive, meaning it has little to no effect on enemy carries with high attack speed.

in the next patch, riot is thinking of making frozen heart's attack speed reduction multiplicative, making it much more useful against enemy physical carries.

Solo Mid Nasus

01-02-2010

Just was wondering what you think of Bulgog's way of playing Alistar. It's really quite a sight to play with. Haven't queued with him in a week or so now but his build goes Chalice - Boots - Trinity if I remember right. Honestly it doesnt take much to make an Alistar tanky so going offensive with him isn't a bad choice especially with his ult u dont have to worry about being squishy etc.

Bait

01-02-2010

i use chalice sometimes too but only if i know my laning partner doesn't have mp or something.

as for sheen, it works great. i tend to end up in larger ganks very often so i went with aegis then soul shroud. but for smaller ganks, sheen works better.

aegis always makes a noticeable difference in team battles so i suggest you get it before trinity force though.

Wisewind

01-03-2010

Hey what's up Bait great guide, you and nico are the only two players i've been primarily following in regards to builds and strats for Alistar. I wanted to ask if you ever take sheen first? I always take it as it guarantees early kills and gives you a boost in gold because you can last hit more effectively early.

Bait

01-03-2010

i do not take sheen first. i've tried it though. i usually prefer the mana manipulator because it gives your ally more mp and helps you gank together. ganking with 2 people is a big difference from ganking alone.

HowlingKommando

01-03-2010

I recently tried and had some mild success going DPS Alistar with Bezerker Boots and Trinity Force as the first big ticket item. Start with Sapphire, HP pot, and Mana pot. For spells I went (Exhaust or Rally) and Flash.

I'm not a big Alistar player, and was just wondering why nobody tries to give more damage early and then building for defense later when the Carries start doing enough damage to kill you even with Ult on. More DPS provides very significant benefits when it comes to farming and destroying turrets.

Going full on support as I see in most Alistar guides relies a bit too heavily on competent allies imo. It'll work just fine with an arranged team, but I don't necessarily recommend it for pugs.

Bait

01-03-2010

mmm... i have a bias because i have high level pugs. i often get top 10 players on my team so support is fine for me in pugs.

Gigg

01-03-2010

I found out that Alistar makes an awsome combinaison with Kassadin. The heal spam always charges up force pulse. That said, a flash and crash combo mixed with a silence + slow + ignite will often get you a fb lvl 3 if it had not been done already.

Also, his heals works well with the low hp of Kass. I know I don't play in top ELO, but I play against teams of 3-4 lvl 30 and a 25+ mostly every games and each time I play that combo, I have great success.

Have you ever tried it?

123456 ... 10