A Map of the Institute of War

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaddyMyers

12-14-2010

I haven't been inside the other libraries at the Institute, but here is a description of the one I regularly visit where I go to read the many ancient tomes, scrolls, and of course the ever popular publication entitled the Journal of Justice.

Before entering the arcane library, there stands a massive doorway. From what I've been told, this doorway is closed and locked during the night, and that only the Institute's head librarian and the High Council know the incantation to successfully open and close its doors.

As far as the doors themselves, they stand approximately 18 feet tall and are reinforced with golden braces that run around the borders. There are also 3 more golden braces that reinforce the center of each door panel that run vertical from top to bottom. These doors close in the center, forming a rectangular shape, but the top of the doors taper to where they form a pointed archway.

When you first step inside the library, the first thing you might notice is that the room itself is huge. Even the League champion Alistar wouldn't be able to touch the ceiling if he tried! The walls are decorated with various carvings created by the finest sculptors in Valoran. There are 6 rows of gargantuan bookshelves that run down the center of the library. However, one main pathway splits these bookshelves right down the middle, making it so that 3 bookshelves rest symmetrically on each side of the pathway. There are also shelves that line the walls of the library, but these shelves are much shorter than the previously mentioned ones. The wall-hugging shelves occupy the entire back wall of the library as well as most of the right and left sides. There is more than 420,000 publications currently in the library. The number, though, continues to grow as more and more writings are added each week.

The library's light source comes from several diamond-shaped crystals that are suspended using inverted pillars that hold them in place. These pillars are like stalactites in caves. In other words, the base of the pillars are directly attached to the ceiling. The illuminated crystals combined fill the entire library with a special type of lighting. This 'special lighting system' allows for comfortable reading for all the known creatures in Valoran. I was told that the crystals that produce this unique lighting were created by the collaborative efforts of Taric and Ryze.

The furniture within the library consists of several 4-person tables that fill most of the open area before the bookshelves, wooden benches that sit alongside the walls, and even individual chairs with reclining capabilities. However, the most popular furnishings in the library seem to be the oversize pillows; Each filled with millions of little squishy beads. These "Bead-Bag Chairs", as what they are commonly called, are all clumped together in one secluded corner of the library where, interesting as it sounds, is also the location of one, lone bookshelf where most of the summoner-submitted writing resides.

If you wanted to check-out a book, you would have to go to the desk that is located on the right side of the room where either the head librarian, or an assistant minion who goes by the name Sakesmeare will be. You'll usually find Sakesmeare to be there, and you'll know it's him as he wears a gray, hooded cloak like what the purple minions wear, except Sakesmeare wears glasses that jut-out from the inside of his hood. The desk is ornamented with one crystalline orb, a tray that holds copies of a map for the library in which visitors can take one if they need, and a stand where 5 featured books from the library are chosen and displayed.

I hope that is enough information to successfully create an accurate illustration.

~ Independent Summoner "Caddy"

((Even if nobody creates a map for the Institute of War, making detailed descriptions like mine here sounds fun in and by itself.))

DrakenViator

12-15-2010

Something else that is being overlooked: We know the Institute of War to be housed underground near a now dormant volcano...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Chamber Lore
Deep within the obsidian mountain from which the Institute of War is sculpted lies the League’s most intense Field of Justice to date – the Magma Chamber. Before the time of the League, the Chamber was the heart of a powerful, but now dormant, volcano. Ancient magma flows cut out a gigantic cavernous room that the League has reshaped for its own purposes. This battle arena was built specifically to address the increasing number of disputes between Demacia and Noxus...

Dunkelzahn

12-15-2010

Oh ****, no kidding. That does help clarify a lot.

So is the Institute outdoors or is it literally sculpted into the side of the mountain, shielding it from the elements? The picture of the building in the Learning Center suddenly makes a lot more sense.

DrakenViator

12-15-2010

Not sure... But I assume it to be in a cave of some form. That does lead one to wonder if like Noxus the majority of the Institute of War is built into the ground, or just built in a cave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxus Lore
...The foundation of the city was built into a granite mountain, and a fair portion of the city lies underground...

The subterranean city level of Noxus is almost as large as the top level, with numerous shops, taverns, and residences comprising the seedy underbelly of the notorious city-state. Noxus contains the largest network of dungeons anywhere on Runeterra, with numerous Noxian nobles claiming ownership over the various labyrinthine passages and subterranean rooms.

DrakenViator

12-15-2010

Also as to the actual composition/layout of the Institute of War. There is an updated version of the Institute of War artwork that I found in the game files earlier today that may help out with ideas

Old: Attachment 89689 New: Attachment 89697
\Riot Games\League of Legends\air\assets\images\backgrounds\LOL_qqlogin. png

Edit: Uploaded Images versus just a file path...

Cinadon

12-15-2010

I like the description that has been provided for the Institute so far. It pretty much mirrored my expectations of the Institute in the first post by Balrogix, although the additions by Necromonger where nice. And Caddy's description of one of the libraries was nice as well. Maybe after I finish tweaking my Judgement of Shen I could add to this thread some..

MentalMastrPiece

12-15-2010

this would be epic +1

Masonry

12-16-2010

Also the hall for champion Judgments.

LETTHEBLOODFLOW

12-18-2010

i believe the 2 institute pictures posted are the different arenas , the one on the left is twisted treeline and the second one is the unreleased map magma chambers it looks like

Dracorya

12-18-2010

I'm pretty sure a number of champions themselves also choose to live in the Institute, Ryze comes to mind.