I am stuck, forced to play support or tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sefam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

In most pubs I join, my team's lineup always consist of something like:

1 nuker + 3 carries

4 carries

4 ganking heroes

2 carries + 2 ganking heroes

So I am pretty much forced to play support or tank since I have the Collector's Pack and the Champion's Bundle. The only problem is that most of the time, my team seem to horribly fail at ganking, getting a haircut, carrying, defending a hill, cast spells and eat sausages.

However, sometimes going tank/support is incredibly useful to some teams and makes you win the game.

I LOVE playing Tristana and playing Nunu starts getting boring. His Christmas Skin strikes fear into the enemy and they all die so fast(No, not really)!

So, should I grief my team to play my favorite heroes or should I go along and help the team?

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

Play what you enjoy.

If you really want to win and have good teammates, start creating premades... else it's just the luck of the draw.

I am a recovering tank-a-holic that's learning carries and mages -- just one too many games where I initiate and no one follows, or I come to save and people think I'm initiating.

On the flipside, I've had a few games with Karthus now where I become their focus and do the initiating, which is heeelarious.

christensenwas

12-22-2009

i would suggest never playing a tank or support in a pub.

granted they help the team, but the only help the team if your team knows what they are doing. A tank alone is MUCH MORE USELESS than a nuker alone. If you play tanks in pubs you will just get frustrated most of the time as you will watch yourself doing your job as everyone else runs away only to run in later to die.

but if you do manage to find some people to premade with, then play tank/support as your team sees fit. They are useful, but if you play them in a pub 4 times out of 5 you will regret it.

Sefam

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeb View Post
Play what you enjoy.

If you really want to win and have good teammates, start creating premades... else it's just the luck of the draw.

I am a recovering tank-a-holic that's learning carries and mages -- just one too many games where I initiate and no one follows, or I come to save and people think I'm initiating.

On the flipside, I've had a few games with Karthus now where I become their focus and do the initiating, which is heeelarious.
I have the exact same problem. And even when I play premades, no one likes playing support or tank unless they play Gangplank. =|

Eric on Top

12-22-2009

Yeah, I solo Q alot and know exactly what your talking about.

My recommendation would be to play Cho as ur tank as he can carry pretty well if you build him for it. Though i'd recommend building him tank anyway if ur carries are decent.

Pharmacologist

12-22-2009

Play a tank/support that can carry.

Try kayle!

Velucritus

12-22-2009

Yeah, best to find a high damage tank like Cho and singed and others so you can tank, but still do something if your pubs are morons.

Gaeb

12-22-2009

Cho, Kayle have been the tanks I pull out lately - alistar is shelved for a while.

Blitz is a great choice too, I've just not gotten running with him.

Aekero

12-22-2009

I also feel like the op, and I'm pleasantly surprised when somebody picks a tank right off the bat. I enjoy playing tanks, but yeah my least favorite is when you get 4 squishy melee on one team. The not only are you stuck playing melee as well, but you know if the other team has any range/brains your teams gunna get kited like there's no tomorrow.

Do what you want, but you're less likely to win if you don't balance the team out.

Gaeb

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekero View Post
Do what you want, but you're less likely to win if you don't balance the team out.
Disagree. If there's 2-3 skilled players and 2-3 underskilled players on each team (which seems to be the makeup of most of my solo q's) ... the skilled players on tanks do far less for their team than skilled players on carries. Picking on the unskilled players for easy money/gold translates to massive midgame advantage. Most tanks (not all!) aren't able to get rolling quite so easily.