Question about Morde Tank/AP build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheFornix

12-13-2010

I've been playing Morde a fair amount in 20ish pub games. I personally have the best results with a tanky AP caster build. I've read over and over how Warmog's is bad on pretty much everyone (I also play Mundo and Warmog's is a no-no on him too). I ran into a Morde who built Warmog's and did very well against our team so it got me thinking.

I've been using the champion builder at LeagueCraft for min/maxing and I found the following results. I didn't bother to put in masteries/runes/boots/etc because I'm only comparing items so the comparisons will still hold true without everything filled in exactly.

Typical Core Build (7630 g): Here
Force of Nature
Sunfire
Sunfire
7399.48 Physical health
6308.89 Magical health

Alternative Core Build (8045 g): Here
Force of Nature
Sunfire
Randuin's Omen
8172.43 Physical health
5966.14 Magical health

New Build (4925 g): Here
Warmog's Armor
Aegis of the Legion
7282.08 Physical health
6704.42 Magical health

The next items in my build are typically Abyssal Sceptre --> Frozen mallet/Rylai's --> Void/Zhonya's after I get my core "tanky" items. I'm also aware that the reason to stack AR and MR on Morde is to extend the durability of his shield. It's just that I find that I'm not able to recharge my shield effectively in team fights to to silences/disables. I also understand that this build would be missing the 8% movespeed and 80 dmg/sec of the original build.

So my question is can Warmog's + Aegis be just as viable as the more traditional Sunfire + Sunfire + FoN? Are the calculations on leaguecraft accurate?

PineapplePine

12-13-2010

You need to remember a tiny thing, although Morde farms really well, you will need to rack up the stacks on your Warmog to get those stats. Leaguecraft consider FULLY stacked (mejai, occult, levi, archangel, warmog, etc?). So just from those numbers, yes you have the SAME effective health.

But do remember, "New Build" gives aura + a lot of regen. "Typical" deals 80 AoE damage per second and gives some movement speed boost. "Alternative" gives speed boost, 40 AoE damage, and a slow active.

By the way, I don't think Aegis should go with Warmog or any stacking items. Usually you want stacking items EARLY, so you can get the stacks. So you want Warmog first, but the effectiveness of Aegis does down later game, imo. Aegis provides a bit of additional AR/MR, but not a lot, so I think it helps more when you're lower levels? Don't quote me on that.

Carados

12-13-2010

Don't even bother with Force of Nature on Mordekaiser. It's a huge drain on your early game, when you are most effective, and it isn't that good of an item. Warden's Mail replaces it as an early game HP regeneration item, and allows you to start with a better starting item.

Tis a nice day

12-13-2010

despite being magic damage and adding to his tankiness, sunfire capes aren't really the best item for morde since they eat away at nearby minions that could have been used instead for his passive shield.

MauxFire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2010

I disagree with Carados and agree with Tis a nice day. I play morde and rush a force of nature only taking the time to get my brown boots before FoN. I find that once I get my negatron cloak I can eat a lot of the enemies spells with my shield that is assuming I play smart and keep it up when engaging. Before I get the cloak portion of FoN they usually dont have any items other than their starting ones. I do agree though that warden's mail is a good item to build, I will usually make either that or spirit visage after FoN and scepter.
I really dont like seeing sunfires on morde. Yes they work and yes you get armor and health. But there are so many other items that work much much better taking his shield and abilities into consideration.

Carados

12-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauxFire View Post
I disagree with Carados and agree with Tis a nice day. I play morde and rush a force of nature only taking the time to get my brown boots before FoN. I find that once I get my negatron cloak I can eat a lot of the enemies spells with my shield that is assuming I play smart and keep it up when engaging. Before I get the cloak portion of FoN they usually dont have any items other than their starting ones. I do agree though that warden's mail is a good item to build, I will usually make either that or spirit visage after FoN and scepter..
You can get an Cloak and a Warden's Mail for cheaper then a Force of Nature, and as a bonus, they actually have stats you want and build item items you want to build.

Throwing away your early game on a bad situational item which only really helps you late game on a champion with no late game scaling is ****ing dumb. I'm sorry.

And as a double bonus, you can actually start with good items if you go Warden's Mail instead of Force of Nature.

MauxFire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2010

I dont generally go for Randuins Omen, so wardens mail doesnt build into anything for me. Most champions do magic damage to me and not physical. I would go for a wardens if I was playing a lot of dps carries. But I just find that MR works a bit better speaking generally.

Carados

12-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauxFire View Post
I dont generally go for Randuins Omen
All that really needs to be read from your post.

MauxFire

12-13-2010

lol, different styles of play I suppose.

Carados

12-13-2010

Yes, building the single best early game regeneration item with cool down reduction and active CC on a champion which deseperately needs all of those stats.

You're literally a moron if you don't build Randuin's Omen. If your play style is being bad, sure it may just be a play style, but that's like admitting to trolling. "Yeah, I'm intentionally bad, it's just my play style."

It's almost as dumb as not building Rylais.