MM Suggestion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sabin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

I was playing in a pre-made with some friends the other day, one of them said, "No messing around this time, everyone play your main character", and it got me thinking about a potential improvement in the matchmaking system.

One of the big weaknesses I see in the current system is that it doesn't account for a player using a champion that they are unfamiliar with, and thus not playing to their full potential. What I propose is a 2 layer match making system.

The first layer would match you with the team you will play on based on your current Elo. Your team will then pick the champions they want to use for the upcoming match. The 2nd layer of match making would then take into account how often each person has played with the champion they selected and modify the team Elo based on that fact. Your team would then be matched against a team of equal skill based on the new modified ELO.

I know it isn't perfect, but taking each persons level of familiarity with a champion into account could make a big difference in the quality of MM.

christensenwas

12-22-2009

How does riot know which champions you are good with?

Then shouldnt riot also take into account which champions work best as a team?

Also they should taken into account if you have palyed with any of your teammates in the past and how well you worked togeather.

Why stop there, riot should look at the latency between everyone on your team, they should adjust elo to account for that aswell.

Really, riot should look at what timezone you're in and adjust your elo based on how tired/alert you are expected to be at the time of the game. It would make it more fair.

Riot should have a questionair on startup that tests your mental aptitude so they can factor that into the elo system.

Using the awsome all knowing powers of Jesse Perring, riot should deduce the trejectories of every particle in the universe and thus deduce the best possible match making which we result in perfect matches for everyone.... oh wait... 50% of the people who play will still lose everygame... thus there will still be complaints about the elo system.

Sabin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensenwas View Post
How does riot know which champions you are good with?

Then shouldnt riot also take into account which champions work best as a team?

Also they should taken into account if you have palyed with any of your teammates in the past and how well you worked togeather.

Why stop there, riot should look at the latency between everyone on your team, they should adjust elo to account for that aswell.

Really, riot should look at what timezone you're in and adjust your elo based on how tired/alert you are expected to be at the time of the game. It would make it more fair.

Riot should have a questionair on startup that tests your mental aptitude so they can factor that into the elo system.

Using the awsome all knowing powers of Jesse Perring, riot should deduce the trejectories of every particle in the universe and thus deduce the best possible match making which we result in perfect matches for everyone.... oh wait... 50% of the people who play will still lose everygame... thus there will still be complaints about the elo system.

Ok, that was a little extreme, but I'll answer your first (and only legitimate question).

They don't know which champion you are good with, but I'd be willing to be they know which champions you play the most. What I know from years of gaming experience and general common sense, people are usually better with characters that they play with more often.

If you play Alistar (i picked that randomly out of a hat) 50% of the time and don't play any of the rest of them more than 5% of the time, I'm pretty sure you'll be a lot better with Alistar than any other champion. All I'm proposing is a system that takes into account when you have a player that is playing an unfamiliar champion.

Let me also state that this is not a criticism of the current MM system. In fact I think it does a good job already.

Fausterion

12-22-2009

I do like this idea to some degree. A player's personal experience with a particular hero can drastically effect their capability in game, However this gap in skill can shrink depending on the players experience with the game itself. The premise is intriguing, but I find it's a tough sell considering there are much bigger priorities for Riot to fix/upgrade than this particular matchmaker idea. Also consider that there already is another vehicle for organizing games, which is quite ideal for newbies and players learning heroes:

Practice mode.

Sabin

12-22-2009

I agree Fausterion, I just wish that everyone was smart enough to try a new champ out in practice mode. I just figured I'd throw it out there since I've heard they're working on MM 2.0.