Armor VS Dodge

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaiBot

12-22-2009

Dodge runes are the awesomeness early game : Final Answer

Tikor

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1ye View Post
wouldn't dodge work the same way? 1% dodge means they need 1% more attacks to kill you?
I think the effective HP math has been addressed upthread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st1ye View Post
If thats true why would you spend 2K IP on a 1.5% Dodge quint when you can spend 1k IP on a 4.5 Armor quint?

any ways thats my question, please only thoughtful replies.
Another consideration: dodging a hit means no on-hit effects. No lizard debuff, no exec's calling, no frozen mallet, no ammumu MR reduction, no anything.

The jax/nimbleness angle has already been hit

So while dodge increasing effective hp vs. phys is useful, unlike armor, dodge has more to add than just more effective hp.

Pharmacologist

12-22-2009

Dodge and armor have completely different mathematical properties.

Armor is a completely linear form of scaling. 100 armor basically doubles your effective health against physical damage. 200 armor triples it.

Dodge has an exponential scaling (an attenuated exponential scaling in reality because of dodge %s being multiplicative instead of additive). 50% dodge doubles your effective health. 75% dodge quadruples your health. 90% dodge multiplies your effective health by 10!

Think of it this way. If the game had an item with 50% dodge, and you bought two of them, the second would greatly increase your survivability versus the first (first would double your original health, adding the second quadruples your original health). If you bought two 100 armor items, they would have an identical impact on your survivability.

In reality though, since items with dodge have well under 50%, the ability for dodge's exponential properties to really kick in is rarely realized. So, in fact, in most normal circumstances, dodge and armor will be equal in efficiency in terms of gold per time to live, with a mix being stronger than stacking either alone.

toomad

12-22-2009

I have a nice dodge calculator (with things like armor equivalent) in my big spreadsheet. -> http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=16486

Squee9

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
think of a rectangular prism, height is health, width is armor, depth is dodge, if all 3 added together give the same amount, then what combination of armor health and dodge give the most volume

answer, when they are all equal
This is the most concise, simplest, and overall best explanation of Effective Hit Points I have ever read. I bow to your mastery of mechanics and analogy. Dubbed: JJ's Prism of EHP, or JJ's Prism for short.

One thing to note about this explanation is that it holds true for the percent values, not the numerical values. 50% damage reduction from armor = 50% evasion = Having hp twice as large as the damage they deal. Adding 5% more damage reduction is just as effective as adding 5% more evasion. However, the actual values you need in game to accomplish these feats vary. Also, the items needed to get these values vary in efficiency and cost-effectiveness. That is where all the trouble comes from.