[Guide] Amumu, A Fist Full Of Inadequacy

123456 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThatSaulSheWrote

12-22-2009

first, this guide nearly had me in tears.. Its amazing.

second, I really like amumu... the tantrum nerf sucked (not to mention the recent nerf to hp items), but he still has his "press R win team fight" ult. I havent used hiim so much lately since tantrum's nerf hurt his damage output really bad, but I cant tell you the times I would utterly DESTROY dps carries with amumu. They just couldn't hurt me fast enough between my crying, "nuking", and sunfires. That being said he takes forever to become an effective tank, so long infact that the match is usually either won or lost by the time you can tank properly.

Pyronymer

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichar View Post
get this idea that they add magic resistance?
Whoops you may well be right there, come to think of it its entirely likely its made out of that scale armor rather than a cloak, just becomes a cloak to confuse you.

Still its like what? almost 3000 gold before it contributes a tiny 40 damage and physical DPS will cut through it ANYWAY because they are just that cool.

Its still a late late late game strategy and a weak one for the cost and chance of ever seeing it hit play. By then there are far better "destroy the earth with sheer cash" super strategies, even for Amumu.

Heartfang

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

Vichar

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronymer View Post
Its still a late late late game strategy and a weak one for the cost and chance of ever seeing it hit play. By then there are far better "destroy the earth with sheer cash" super strategies, even for Amumu.
Wait a minute. Why are you trying to destroy the earth as Amumu? Isn't your job to initiate fights and still make it out alive? Amumu is great at that. He doesn't need to do ungodly damage. Now that they've re-nerfed Cleanse again, Amumu's nerfed 2.5 sec AOE stun is suddenly useful once more.

Also, the first sunfire is not hard to get. Once you have one, you become a farming god. And, there's always the chance that you might bandage toss and hit that fleeing enemy (because you helped your team OWN them in a team fight), and *cha ching*, you get gold for a real kill. Happy mummy!

If your claim is that it's hard to lane early as Amumu, I'm with you 100%. The nerf (fix?) to tantrum was rough. If your statement is that Sunfire capes aren't good on him, well, all I can say in return is that Sunfire Capes should be renamed "Sad Mummy Capes" because they seem like they were made for him. And +40 (eventually +80) dps is not bad when you consider you can still do other stuff as Amumu while that auto-damage is going on. You can spam tantrum and head-butt people with your pointy, triangular head! Most importantly, you're doing that damage to any melee chaser while you kite around the field. Only Eve (the useless one) has a similar ability to kite and infict damage constantly, and Eve is limited by mana.

Pyronymer

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichar View Post
Wait a minute. Why are you trying to destroy the earth as Amumu?
Because Amumu, like most second rate super villains is transfering his deep sense of personal inadequacy into a hatred for all of existence.

Quote:
Isn't your job to initiate fights and still make it out alive? Amumu is great at that.
1) Slapping something with a limp wrist and running away is not nearly the effective contribution to success that some folks hilariously make it out to be. Mainly because just killing whatever it was instead is far more effective. When Amumu waddles up, slaps you and runs back to the shelter of his friends... NO ONE CARES.

2) Amumu is not great at that. He is good at the first bit, roping in and starting a fight. He is NOT good at the second "making it out alive" bit. Every other tank in the game is better at that. Janna is better at that.

Quote:
Now that they've re-nerfed Cleanse again, Amumu's nerfed 2.5 sec AOE stun is suddenly useful once more.
But only once, because that's how often it refreshes. And since you are off buying (chuckle) sun fire capes you aren't doing anything about that cooldown are you?

Quote:
Also, the first sunfire is not hard to get.
Yes it is. It's not just the 3000 gold business. It's that until you spend that much you have only added armor and hit points (and even that in what is for early game LARGE cash incriments of 700 and 1150). Also both that armor and the Hit Points have recently been NERFED.

Success snowballs and that means you need earlier and smoother contributions to your mighty powas. You want junk you can buy in 400-500 gold increments and you want each and every purchase to contribute something you care about right then and there. Like AP, or slow on hit, or Hit points now, rather than 675 gold from now. Buy a mallet or void staff or something, anything, its better than the Sunfire Cape.

Quote:
Once you have one, you become a farming god.
If you need better farming than Tantrum 5 there is something wrong with you. And if you get a sunfire cape before you get Tantrum 5 there is something wrong with your opponents.

Quote:
And, there's always the chance that you might bandage toss and hit that fleeing enemy (because you helped your team OWN them in a team fight), and *cha ching*, you get gold for a real kill. Happy mummy!
This sounds suspiciously like you are suggesting occasionally you accidentally steal a kill from the guy who did the real damage. It also has nothing to do with sunfire capes, and "chance" and "bandage toss" going together like that makes me happy to see other people realize its a weird aiming roulette of kamikaze doom.

Quote:
If your claim is that it's hard to lane early as Amumu, I'm with you 100%. The nerf (fix?) to tantrum was rough.
Its more that Amumu simply lacks abilities designed for any kind of early success. None of Amumu's mighty Powas actually DO very much, other than burn mana like no tomorrow, until they have at least 3-4 points in them. And all of them are very short range until they are heavily invested in. If ANY ranged attacker of any kind has the presence of mind to actually click on you your early farming days are OVER.

Fortunately Ashe is frequently Stoopid and would rather auto attack minions right next to you.

Quote:
Sunfire Capes should be renamed "Sad Mummy Capes" because they seem like they were made for him.
Made to make him Saaaaaad.

Quote:
And +40 (eventually +80) dps is not bad
Yes it is. With the 6000 gold you spent on that I can do much better than 80 damage (or more accurately 2x40 before pretty much halving that from MR) per second.

6000 GP is worth easily 100-200 AP with some MR bypassing and/or mana boosts. Or any amount of Physical attack buff, better defenses with actual cool down reduction, etc...

Quote:
when you consider you can still do other stuff as Amumu while that auto-damage is going on.
No, you can't. Because you didn't invest in that other stuff. You invested in 80 damage a second at level 18+overtime. Your melee, your tantrum, all that stuff is still doing base damage on base cool down with no improvements. Your armor and HP could be better and hell I hope you also blew the great steaming wad of cash on those move 3 boots too because without them people will just see you on fire and walk away to avoid catching whatever cooties you have.

Sunfire Capes on Amumu = Second Rate Option. That is what I am stating and I am very clear on this. They give you limited survivability for the cash outlay and basically no meaningful contribution to offense for massive earlier suckage and gold expense. Buy sunfires and watch yourself LOSE.

AP Amumu is hands down better, and AP Amumu sucks.

Vichar

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronymer View Post
AP Amumu is hands down better, and AP Amumu sucks.
I got a nice chuckle out of reading your post.

On a side note, I get the Sunfires because they are among the only items that give both health and armor. I don't really get them for the damage, but while we are on the topic, let's talk about that.

Rod of Ages: (cost = 3035)
+50 AP
+425 Health / +425 Mana

Maxes at :
+80 AP
+725 Health / 725 Mana

It adds a bit on to your abilities, true, but it costs mana to use said abilities. Also, it's not clear that +80 AP (after cooking for 15 minutes) translates into +40 dps with Amumu. Finally, you don't get any armor with the Rod, and the Rod costs an extra 185 gold.

As for cooldown, why is cooldown associated with AP Amumu and not Sunfire Cape Amumu? Only Deathfire Grasp and Nashor's Tooth give you +AP. Why couldn't you spend cash on a cooldown item after your first Sunfire? To be honest, I almost never get 2 sunfires. I kind of like a little AP on Amumu myself.

Armor and Health are great on Amumu. But maybe you're saying the extra 1000 gold to get the 40 damage / sec isn't worthwhile. Well, what can you get with 1000 gold? You could get a Blasting Wand for 860 gold. That gets you +40 AP. But once again, +40 AP does not translate into 40 dmg/sec.

Pyronymer

12-22-2009

I think I associate cooldown reduction more with defense/tank Amumu, that whole icy scale item, whatever its called is (or perhaps until recently WAS) nice with him.

But anyway, two things.

1) A big chunk of AP on amumu, like say the 80 you are talking about is indeed NOT the same as 40 DPS.

It is BETTER.

Now for all I know the over all contribution averages to the same or less than the 40 (though it is probably better) but it isn't about the average, its about piling up as much as possible in as short a time as possible.

Without AP Amumu ropes in for base, cries for base, curses for base, tantrums for base and adds +40 damage per second from the sunfire. If everything sits through like 2 seconds of that he gets 80 more damage than base.

I'm guessing current AP ratios here, but lets run with the 80 AP (though I think you can do better, but whatever).
Rope in +80
Cry +0% or +1.6% depending on whether they count partial percentage boosts. That's like maybe +40 there
Despair for two lots of +60 or so for like +120.
Thats like maybe +240 damage there (with a lot of optimism). compared to +80. Even with Amumu appropriate pessimism it is probably still more than +80.

Sure you don't do it FOREVER, but forever can go sulk in the corner when Amumu is done.

2) Buying the same item or types of item repeatedly is not always the best thing to do.

So Sure, I want hit points and armor with Amumu, but really about one good item for each will do. So that scale thingy and maybe a big mallet. And that nets you great armor, great hit points, and slows things down so they stay to watch your Despair and stuff. Those items together cost more than ONE sunfire, but probably less than two, and they get you extra stuff along the way, especially with some cheaper entry items like Mana, earlier hit points, earlier armor, damage bonuses, etc...

You want to spread out your Amumu build on all sorts of things. Or at least you did prior to the last patch, who knows what you want to do now, maybe buy nothing but heart scales and maybe purchase a car with the extra cash at the end.

Anyway, smooth progressions covering lots of bases and ending up with bigger better damage and defense bonuses at the end. Sunfire capes aren't really part of that, though I suppose once you ALREADY own everything else THEN maybe you could buy one.

Zubat

12-22-2009

Haha, a great read and a helpful guide.
Keep up the good work, looking forward to reading more of your satire. :P

Klazzix

12-22-2009

Amumu is beast. Amumu is richest. Amumu at the charts is the biggest damage dealer. If not, you're playing Amumu wrong.

Razael

12-22-2009

This thread made me laugh and that makes it awesome on its own. However, I must disagree with the OP in respect to the Sunfire Capes. What you seem to be forgetting is that the damage provided by these capes doesn't cost mana, needs no activation and is an AoE. So it isn't just 40 dmg/s. It's 40 dmg/s on every bugger that's around you. And if you're doing all the kamikaze moves you're supposed to be doing with the saddest of mummies, you'll be constantly in the middle of a lot of buggers. Hell, if you're standing in the middle of 6 creeps you're already doing around 240 dmg/s. Not to mention the damage from tantrum. With just 3000 gold. And you got some armor and hp for it, as well.

123456 ... 11