Why dodge runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JunkRamen

12-21-2009

So I've been checking out a lot of high ELO player's profiles, and it seems that a lot of them pick up dodge seals. I was curious about why people pick dodge over a more versatile stat, like HP or HP/lvl. Dodge only works against auto-attacks, but magic damage is far more common in LoL. Even if dodge provides a larger bonus to effective HP than straight HP does, is it actually worth it?

Is it primarily to activate Nimbleness? How would this be helpful for 9/0/21 builds then?

I was just curious to see other people's opinions before stocking up on the T2.5 dodge runes.

dreamenddischarger

12-21-2009

dodge is sexy, and is the best defensive stat atm

JunkRamen

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamenddischarger View Post
dodge is sexy, and is the best defensive stat atm
Isn't it only effective in a team fight if the carry is attacking you, though? If you're not being attacked by the carry, you're eating lots of AoE damage anyway. What's the theorycraft behind using dodge over hp or MR?

wildfire393

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
Isn't it only effective in a team fight if the carry is attacking you, though? If you're not being attacked by the carry, you're eating lots of AoE damage anyway. What's the theorycraft behind using dodge over hp or MR?
HP is punished with Deathfire/Madred's, MR can be pierced with a number of effects to the point where even >100 is useless.

Also dodge can give you activation of the handy +10% movespeed mastery.

I dunno, there are a number of reasons to take it.

dreamenddischarger

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
many of the characters I play have some sort of incentive to get dodge runes. Unless you're playing a full on aoe/cc magic team, dodge will be better than hp and magic resist, simply due to the fact that 100% mitigation of damage some of the time will save your life, and of course for diving into 5 people as say Kat or Sivir, you know?

AFKray

12-21-2009

not to mention a small amount of HP compared to negating 100% of the would-be damage because of a dodge. In the oh-so-pivotal level 1 team fights, a dodge can honestly mean the difference between winning or losing the entire thing.

Mios

12-21-2009

Not to mention you can get lucky and dodge things like Shaco's out-of-stealth crit.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2009

there's a lot of reasons.

1. magic resist's main area is glyph, not seal. and glyphs are better used for cd reduction and other runes.
2. some people use dodge mastery for the 10% speed boost for dodging. there arent many items that give dodge so they use runes.
3. dodge runes are relatively strong.

personally, i mix a few mp/level seals in there. most people don't agree with me.

few other reasons:

before runes came out, the defense mastery was the strongest due to the 60 hp at start which helped a lot. now it's no longer important. but people kept the defensive mastery for a long while. as a result, they chose the dodge runes to augment the dodge mastery.