Best use of a Void Staff

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EchoRex

12-21-2009

Even with that low of deaths, without a ton of killing blow and assists between deaths, on the order of 10, the new Mejai's just doesn't build well enough or retain enough to justify its inclusion.

As of now, any champion that is ability reliant for damage, voidstaff is a top pick.

Rudeboymike

12-21-2009

Void Staff is a great item, don't get me wrong. This is reason for my question. But i think some of you are overestimating how good it is.

Average MR for most champion end game is around 100, give or take.
With 70 MR reduction (like in my composition), it brings it to 30 MR. A Void Staff then is equal to 12 Magic Penetration. 12 Magic Penetration is easily obtainable through 9 Magic pen blue and Red slots. This is also obtainable through Sorcerer's Shoes and a few other items. I'll let you do the math for each item in comparison.

So Void Staff is obviously increases in effectiveness the more MR the opponent has. Once they get below 30 MR... it starts to be useless. So i wouldn't necessarily say "Every magic damage dealer uses void staff" as effectively or often as other. General rule of thumb for me.. If they are above 30 MR after all MR reduction, buy it.. if not, pick something better.

Now as far as the new Mejai's after re-reading it, I don't think its as good as i thought. But even still, its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Break it down here:

Mejai Soulstealer
Costs: 1235
Starting AP: 20, Cost/AP: 61.8
Maxed AP: 220 AP, Cost/AP: 5.6

Blasting Wand
Cost: 860
Total AP: 40, Cost/AP: 21.5

To get Mejai to be as Cost effective as a typical blasting wand, (Divide Cost of Mejai by 21.5) it comes out to be 60 AP, which is 3 Kills. The more stacks you have, teh more detrimental a death is in losing stacks. But to make up the difference in Cost/AP ratio, it only requires 3 Kills or 6 Assists. Maybe its just in my bracket, but thats pretty easy to get.

So regardless how terrible you all assume Mejai's to be... If im rocking atleast 3-4 kills per life, Mejai's is still a relatively good item. Hell, its still astoundingly more cost effective than a Zhonya's Ring (when below 400 AP, which most Fiddle players dont reach more than)

Morzas

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Crono View Post
The Void Staff is quite a good item. The big casters I play are Veigar and Fiddlesticks, and it seems well-suited to both of them. However, I haven't yet gotten a chance to seriously experiment with this, so I thought I'd ask for some thoughts.

Who here uses them regularly, and with who? Are they a good any-time choice for nuker heroes, or is it the sort of thing that should be saved for when the enemy is piling on the magic resistance?
I get Void Staff under the following conditions:
1: My caster has less than 1:1 AP ratio on their spells (Annie, Fiddle, Karthus, etc.)
2: The enemy is stacking magic res

Otherwise, it's better to just stack AP or get survivability items if you're a close-range caster.

ALCie

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboymike View Post
Average MR for most champion end game is around 100, give or take.
With 70 MR reduction (like in my composition), it brings it to 30 MR. A Void Staff then is equal to 12 Magic Penetration. 12 Magic Penetration is easily obtainable through 9 Magic pen blue and Red slots. This is also obtainable through Sorcerer's Shoes and a few other items. I'll let you do the math for each item in comparison.

So Void Staff is obviously increases in effectiveness the more MR the opponent has. Once they get below 30 MR... it starts to be useless. So i wouldn't necessarily say "Every magic damage dealer uses void staff" as effectively or often as other. General rule of thumb for me.. If they are above 30 MR after all MR reduction, buy it.. if not, pick something better.
The Magic boots and Haunting Guise both give +20 Magic penetration. Seeing as you have a lot of -MR, these together are your best option and can be had for cheaper than that Void Staff.

So this means if they have 110 MR you will reduce them to 0. If they have 140 MR you will reduce them to 30, or if you have Void Staff 140 MR will be reduced to 2. The thing is, you spent 2300 for that 28 magic penetration and 50 AP, they spent 400 for 24 MR.

If you have that team build with Fiddle I would say NEVER get Void Staff, instead get Haunting Guise if needed and a Blasting Wand. It just won't add a cost effective difference unless they have 200+ MR.

Rudeboymike

12-21-2009

^^ like that idea to. But most higher rated teams that crush the AOE Team stack a good amount of MR.

Lycanblu

02-12-2010

I believe it is most useful on hero's who have LOW ap scaling, IMO Void staff is best used on annie, The AoE powerhouse. Because not a single one of her spells has 1<ap scaling, Stacking AP seems less important than simply eradicating the enemy ability to defend against your spells.

While quite the opposite on Veigar, I recommend strait Magic penetration, since veigar's ult has one of the highest AP scaling of any offensive spell.

But, no matter what caster you pick, it's always a good choice, just more so on those who's spells aren't quite as good with scaling.

Quinnister

02-12-2010

It's best used on champions with very low AP scaling or as a very late game DPS increase.

I don't really like it besides that.