The Problem With YI: Easy to Play, yet hard to play against. Suggestions soon!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsherZaine

12-22-2009

I Play as Rammus and I own YI 95percent of the time. Everyone says he is so op but once he does his ultimate and wuju style together he turns to **** for a long time. Unless he kills you then highlander is refreshed. If you see yi come in and attack you most likey he has those activated so run like hell then come back. If you stay and try to fight him he will eat your lunch and if you try to get away a good yi has alpha strike ready for the last strike so the best thing imo is just run when he trys to gank and plz god dont feed him

Valentino

12-22-2009

I've seen a post somewhere by admin that there's a slight mistake in how his ult works and that they will fix it in a week or two, so maybe just wait and see? i think that's the whole reason why he's so strong at the end game.

DragonArmy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2009

Zileas made a post that his ult may be giving him more attack speed that it is posted to give. I think people are making assumptions about my post because it has so much text:

1) Yi is not overpowered: I meant it when I said he should not be nerfed, simply made harder to play. In fact I would buff him if.

2) I own against Yi, and when I play on my second account, I can own with Yi against noobs. There are also many counters to Yi. As a hero, Yi is UNDERPOWERED, Yi is never played in top tier games and I rarely see him played in my games--although he has owned me a couple times.

3) My point is that Yi is not played in high level games, but can easily own in low level games, because he is much easier to play then to counter. Specific heroes counter him well, otherwise it takes a well organized team.

Yi doesn't need a nerf, he needs to be a more difficult to play.

Everyone asks the question: How does "insert name" at my ELO. This was not the point of my post, but one reason could be because a noob can play Yi and own becauese YI is easy, get his elo really high, and then when Yi is no longer effective, switch to another character and get owned for a while.

What I mean by reworking would be like his wuju strike lasts for two hits and has a two second cool down. Then players would have to click "e" several times in battle.

Critical Error

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-23-2009

You are right in that he is hard to counter. But really, the best counter to Yi is time. Nomatter what you do you cant stop him if the game lasts longer than 35 mins. And every 5 mins after that you come closer and closer to getting owned. This is usually true except when Yi is a moron, but seriously, he is one of, if not the most, left click heroes.

Stuns are common in most games, but having to focus them all on one rape-machine kind of makes you lose too; stun-locking and killing one using all your cooldowns leaves you pretty disadvantaged against his 4 teammates.

This is not a concern though, unless a really bad team, if you win before 30 mins. A Yi is item dependant. If you can push before he gets big boy items, you for all intense purposes are versing 5v4. This is not true about other carries such as Ashe who can still perform nice functions like long distance anti-creep volleyes, slows, and of course uber damage+stun ults. Yi can only damage, and only in melee (a very vulnerable position for an undergeared squisher).

gunsharp

12-23-2009

Good point by AsherZaine. The counter to Yi is to stay together and not let him kill your squishies. If possible, when you see Yi charging in, then run for a couple seconds to let highlander wear off. Once that wears off, Yi becomes much much weaker and he will fall fast. If I don't get a kill with highlander, I usually hunt around for stragglers while waiting for it to recharge because he really is not that strong without it, even with all the godly items. Obviously, sometimes you can't run away so hope for good teammates if that's the case.

Madra

12-23-2009

Yi is probably the most cruise control DotA style game champion since King Leoric.

Djevik

12-23-2009

I agree Yi can get very powerful late game as many other heros can. But Yi is amazingly easy to shut down. All it takes is a team that is organized enough to realize Yi MUST DIE!!!! A good Jax late game puts Yi to shame and any decent tank can hold off the damage while dps focus fires him. My suggestion is to find a better group of people to play with.

Kyle700

12-23-2009

For me, Yi has ALWAYS been a negitive experiance. I always stun him, as Veigar, as annie, or w/e. but, then, guess what. He hits E, and he's already right next to me with 350 dmg with 1 BF sword.
So I agree with Dragon.

Aknar

12-23-2009

a few words of wisdom:if you see a yi starting with anything other than vampiric scepter and not leaving the lane for jungling after lvl 6 he surely is a noob.So focus your ganks and teamfights on him

btw in my opinion a balanced them should have the following classes:a mage-tank/carry-tank (amumu,sion,malphite), a support tank(alistar,taric),a pure carry for raping squishy enemies (teemo,tristana,yi,jax,etc.) and a pure caster for raping who needs to be raped quick (veigar,ryze,amumu,teemo annie)

Labomba

12-24-2009

If you don't want to counter yi with items (armor, hp), there's always the option of using wards, mushrooms, jitb, etc. The advantage Yi has mid-late game is that he makes solo lane pushers and forest wanderers pay the ultimate price by putting them in 1v1 situations. With a few objects that provide vision in the main paths through the forest, you can know where he is and react appropriately. Any time my premade is against a Yi who's starts to pick up speed, we fall back on warding the forest so any would-be gank attempts are foiled by our retreat or our coordination as a team to see him coming. He's not durable, even with Warmog, and with your teammates focusing him, he'll be enduring a death timer.

The mistake for most champions is letting him get the 1v1 advantage.