I知 Ransom. Writer on Zac and the upcoming champion (#116). AMAA!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spectre Gadget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun XLV View Post
Is it possible that Riven has had a relationship, with Irelia's brother Zelos? And it is he whom has changed her views on Noxus and shaped the Riven we know today?
You genius.

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2013

From the music alone...
Im thinking of Harley quinn/pyromaniac type character, possibly yordle, hopefully not clowny.
Anti-Amumu/Annie/Shaco
Maybe AP caster.(but what pyro isnt?)
Time Will Tell.

Edit: Lux laugh incarnate.

Kazkal

09-20-2013

Pretty sure new champ will be Ao Shin Covered in tattoos ,Pink and blue finger nail polish kinda punky.
Supposed be a elementalist aka Fire reference.

Darkari94

09-20-2013

Part of Caitlyn's lore -

Her services were soon requested by Demacia to help track down a mysterious outlaw who had begun committing high-profile heists. The bandit, who always left a card with an ornate "C" at the scene of the crime, became Caitlyn's arch-nemesis. To this day, Caitlyn still searches for this cat burglar, and the chase has led her all across Valoran. She has joined the League to hone her skills and gain the influence necessary to track down the only quarry that has managed to evade her.

Since Ransom has mentioned that the character does have a rival currently in the league, I think there is a fair possibility that the next champion is this "C" person. She could be Vi's sister gone rogue- it would add to the drama...

Aacey

09-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellas View Post
Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but I don't think there's anyone else with purple hair. Ransom said it's the same color as one other champion :P. Purple would be sweet though. considering it's my favorite color.
EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about my dear Lulu! Maybe #116 does have purple hair then :O
personally i think he might be nitpicking us with shades of color but my theory is orange, green, blue, purple or bald

btw leblanc is also purpleblueish headed

McTokie

09-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
There is only one other champion in the game who has the same hair color as her. And no - it's not Vi. Or Caitlyn, for that matter. :P

I know for a fact that she loves kittens, and this love of kittens is evident in-game!
Well, she behaves like she couldn't care less about crushes, so it's hard to say. The closest thing she has to a crush right now is her admiration for Ziggs: "I like your style, bomb-rat!" is something she might say.
I cant wait to hear the snarky sense of humor on 116.

Upon review of champion hair color, there are a few champs with a unique hue of a color that others posses, but the most unique color I found was; green like Akali..

A Kitten champ a la Ahri? Sounds very fun, maybe she could have a "grumpy cat" skin? A lot of fun could be have with a champion based on the internet's love of cats.

Can you give us a tease on the earliest stage champion you're working on right now? (ie you just got the assignment today?) and what kind of work you would be doing at that stage?

Are there anymore 116 songs for today?

Also, have enjoyed reading and getting to know another rioter. you guys rock!

Mic the Merman

09-20-2013

so... i have some guesses of my own about the new champ...
(very excited btw, Vi is my absolute favorite along with garen... im a sucker for a fun story)
1) her hair will be blue
2) from those songs and piltover backround? im guessing a jetpack! =D
3) im imagining somekind of passive similar to evelyn or twitch (difference being she's flying around, though i havent a clue how that would work mechanicaly)
4) another ability guess: she crashes down to earth in an effect simmilar to nautilus' riptide and nocs people around her into the air?
5) another clue from the songs: maybe an ult like shen's... but in reverse > bringing a number of allies to her side
6) some kind of ability like rumbles ult me thinks

let me know what you think!

Ransom

Creative Designer

09-20-2013
32 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuIch View Post
I have always wanted a quote from Riot! To ask a question....what champion do you dislike the most

EDIT! And why?
Easy. Fizz. As a mid-laner who plays mages, I can't stand that jerk. Always harassing me for free and getting away with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamut View Post
My question is, did you have any hand in writing Vi's quotes? I ask because my favorite line in league (even better than League of Draven) is Vi's "Punch first, ask questions while Punching".
Your favorite line was written by Skribbles. Our VO scripts are a team effort, although I honestly don't remember which Vi lines were written by me. Yes, I am the "credited" writer on #116 (for doing most of the work), but I only wrote about a third of her VO script, her bio, and one of her teaser pieces. (Although I was heavily involved in the planning process for her teaser.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrez Knivez View Post
Do you see a future where Katarina and Riven join forces? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing? I feel like a Noxian civil war would be cool idea.
I think this is a super cool idea. I've never thought of Katarina as evil, really, and I could easily see her being forced into a situation where she has to ally with Garen or Riven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlighte View Post
Is there a chance some of the lore/storytelling will fall back on skin releases? I mean, Aether Wing Kayle was released and I thought it super fertile ground to play on one of the oldest unchanged lore duos in the game. Maybe release a Legendary skin for Morgana and have it be the next chapter of their saga? Alas, it seems Riot felt differently

Secondly, I may or may not be the only one that is disappointed with how lore is currently released. At Riot you guys create some of the most fantastically perfect champion concepts, characters that would make Frodo, Tyrion, or Aslan look shallow and hallow in comparison. And yet, the lore delivery is just, sorry if I offend but, AWFUL. I love the cool comics/login screens/conflicts/release teasers. But this just isn't enough. There has to be something more from the lore team. A weekly blog that reads like a novel *too close to JoJ?* Maybe a monthly comic in junction with the art team when they have a little bit of free time. Realistically, I would accept just about anything that isn't sporadic and seemingly random as to when it is released. I would kill for something that is released on a weekly basis that I could read.
What I'm hearing a lot from you guys is that you would love to see more lore-related skins. Me too! I'll start pitching more of these ideas to the skins team. I personally would KILL KILL KILL for a Redeemed Morgana skin, one where she looks pleasant and heroic.

As for the fact that our department is so darn sporadic and slow, all I can say is that we are working at getting better at putting out more stuff in a timely fashion, and you can see that in our teasers, our events, and our lore reworks. And I'd like to think that we're raising the bar with every release.

Given the amount of work the JoJ was for the writers who worked on it, and how busy those guys are now, I can't say I see it coming back. But! Another takeaway here is that the writing team needs to think about a project where we put out small bits of stuff on a regular basis. That's a good suggestion, and something we can definitely think about! Thanks for this suggestion - I'll start spinning up some ideas.

Kinperor

09-20-2013

Hey Ransom,

Does 116 have any tie to Ahri?

SpectreDC

09-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkari94 View Post
Part of Caitlyn's lore -

Her services were soon requested by Demacia to help track down a mysterious outlaw who had begun committing high-profile heists. The bandit, who always left a card with an ornate "C" at the scene of the crime, became Caitlyn's arch-nemesis. To this day, Caitlyn still searches for this cat burglar, and the chase has led her all across Valoran. She has joined the League to hone her skills and gain the influence necessary to track down the only quarry that has managed to evade her.

Since Ransom has mentioned that the character does have a rival currently in the league, I think there is a fair possibility that the next champion is this "C" person. She could be Vi's sister gone rogue- it would add to the drama...

Let's just expand on this a little further.

In this lore description, "C" is mentioned as a "cat burglar". Ransom has mentioned 116's fondness of kittens and that there is even some form of expression of this in game.

Further when Ransom mentioned hair color, he brought up Caitlyn for no apparent reason. Literally none. The Vi connection was already known and evident (this is most likely Vi's sister) but the dropping of Caitlyn's name suggests she's heavily connected as well, which would fit this "C" character. EDIT: I forgot to add the fact that she is a rival of a popular champion, and I need not explain the popularity of Caitlyn right now.

Presuming 116 is this "C" in Cait's lore, it's presumable the name starts with C. Further, it's been said that she is > Vi. This ties into roman numerals, and saying that the name is comprised of roman numerals like Vi. This not only ties in more to her being Vi's sister, but it fits with C; C is 100.

She likes fire, she likes Ziggs, and the 2nd song linked is "burning down the house". It's likely she is a pryomaniac, and being that she is from Piltover, we can bet to see some flamethrowers, napalm, and other fun ways to burn things from this champ. More than likely a mid laner. And for me personally I almost feel she'd be a AP caster assassin; a thief doesn't come off as a long range, AoE casting sort even if she is a pyromanic.

Ransom, one question to alleviate some confusion in regards to hair color; is her hair color unique to FEMALE champions, or all champions?