To Smurf or Not to Smurf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karrot

12-21-2009

@Landa: The problem is, there's no easy solution. Well, first of all, you'd be hard pressed to find players with Elo of 200-500. They must exist, just they'd be hard to find. That aside, however, do you put that team against a team with average Elo 660? Then the 2000-Elo player would be guaranteed a win if his 4 teammates had previously agreed to just go afk. That's if you go with the average.

Riot's current system prevents people from abusing smurfs to get easy wins, while wrecking people with high Elo who want to play with legitimately low Elo friends. Is that ideal? No, of course not. I daresay, however, that it is the lesser of two evils. (It's better than a team of 5 players getting stomped just because one of their opponents is one of the top players.)

Of course, the easy answer is to just have an account for duo-queuing with low Elo friends, and an account for solo queuing and duo-queuing with high-Elo friends. It's a hassle, but at least it beats the alternative.

ketchup

12-21-2009

/Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larias View Post
To counter high level players (1800) queueing with new players (1200) to get matched against 1450 ELO rating people, Riot made it so that anyone below 250 (I THINK it's 250) elo rating below the highest elo is moved to 250 ELO below the highest elo for the queue.

If you have a 2000, an 1800, a 1950, a 1400, and a 1500, then the actual ELO for the premade would be 2000, 1800, 1950, 1750, 1750 instead of that.

Also I think this adjustment is a bit over the top. I'm not even sure if protecting newer players is always a good idea.

SlyGoat

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landa View Post
So basicaly you are forcing a team consisting of these Elos: 2000 300 500 200 300 (Average: 660)
To play against a team with these: 2000 1750 1750 1750 1750. Or any combination which averages: 1800.

Way to go..

That is one way of forcing me into smurfing or quitting the game.
as much as i agree, that's a hilariously extreme example. it'd take a startlingly bad player to have an elo of under 1000, and someone at 2000 elo premading with a bunch of players so bad they must be rushing the enemy fountain all game seems unlikely.

EDIT: i agree with karrot

Mokatte

12-21-2009

Im not sure about premade smurfs but I will describe for you the way solo smurfer will end up. Im playing mainly US and from time to time EU so im low lvl at EU but im more experienced (because of US games) so basicly we can call my EU account - smurf.

ITs going like this:

You gonna win your first 10-15 games, then game after the game gonna be harder and harder and after like 30 games you will end up with still low lvl (lets call it 12), with not enough IPs for runes, with no masteries and no champions (because you will get bumped too fast and you wont have enough time to farm IP) and fun ends here. You gonna suck most games because at your 12 you will meet your enemies being 30 lvls with full masteries and runes but this time they will be more organized and experienced. Its really tough.

This is what happened to me at Europe server. Im 10 lvl - each game Im against 5 x 30 lvl and I have NO runes, 1 unlocked hero and 1k IP left.

So my advice is - dont go for smurf account.

Poet

12-21-2009

I agree with the OP--I ran into the same problem, so I smurfed. The matches became more competitive, and as my smurf account started wining games, the competition became much more equal to our team's skill.

Before I smurfed, we were getting rolled by players who were my skill level or higher.

I'm sure eventually the ELO rating on my Poet account would of dropped down low enough after several loses with my friends so that eventually we would of been facing lower ELO teams, but I'd rather not screw up that account. It just makes more sense to smurf for your friends, until they are high enough skill, and then continue playing with them on your main account later.

Polygon

12-21-2009

I can see Why people would smurf.

I have a slightly different problem though. When my pals and I started, we all sucked to a degree, and solo queueing vs. premaking was sorta the same for all of us.

Now some of us turned out to be better than others... To a degree where solo queueing actually increases my chances to win, vs. premaking with some of them.

Because of the "rounding up" logic, or simply because of the expected higher effective elo of a premade, its more likely I lose if I play with my friends with lower ELO than if I stop playing with the poorest of them and cherrypick the best and get some random dudes to fill up.

If I smurfed to play with them, we might get more wins if we played together. And I'm pretty sure I'm not even That high ELO my self, just enough to start feeling the difference.

I'm rambling now, I think the point I'm trying to make, is that LoL is a competitive game at its core. Its not made to cater to just any team of friends with different skillsets, it sort of assumes that a premade team are all equally good or close to it.

Smurfing breaks the matchmaking system. If you are better than your friends, thats just too bad. You will never be able to routinely play LoL with them and win, without doing things to cheat the system.

Landa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Smurfing breaks the matchmaking system. If you are better than your friends, thats just too bad. You will never be able to routinely play LoL with them and win, without doing things to cheat the system.
Thats a good enough reason to stop playing the game all together. Not everyone is here as a competitive player. I am a casual gamer, I have the most fun playing with friends. Smurfing seems like the only option. However, the game has a ridiculously overpriced unlock system. So know I have to play with a lvl 1 account that has NO champions unlocked when I spent say 2 months getting a full rune page on my main account? No thank you and good bye.