To Smurf or Not to Smurf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Landa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2009

Im having a big problem with the matchmaking system lately. My friends joined LoL and they are all under lvl 10. Some of them played dota, some of them played HoN. So they know their way around. When I queued with them the result was Me lvl 30, and 4 lvl 10- against 5 lvl 30s... Even though they are better than your average lvl 10 they still are in no way ready to be playing people with full page runes and lvl 30 masteries. So I decided to try and smurf. Made a new account. Now everyone in the game was lvl 15-. You could say it was a lot fairer except for the fact that I was a lvl 30 disguised as a lvl 1. But compared to the previous fiasco it was better. So here I have a choice. I can either smurf to play with my friends and possibly win. Or play with my high level account and we get wrecked over and over again. Given the current matchmaking system I feel inclined into smurfing. Simply because the odds are completely against us If I play with my lvl 30 account. There is no way that was a 50% 50% game.

SlyGoat

12-21-2009

smurf

Karrot

12-21-2009

It's ridiculous. You basically have to smurf.

Vancouver Amumu

12-21-2009

I had a similar problem - so I resorted to smurfing.

However, so many people have a smurf now, that it still ends up with one player on either team with a ridiculous amount of kills (like 40 kills) - clearly not newbies.

So the only difference when you create a smurf is that you'll be playing VS level-6s, but they're in fact level-30s on a smurf... They may not have their masteries and runes, but they'll still probably be challenging for your friends.

SlyGoat

12-21-2009

Karrot smurf with me plz.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-21-2009

I smurf'd with a friend last night, and it was kind of horrific. We won the first one pretty handily, then our next two were losses - to pretty clear smurfs! In each game it was apparent that there were at least 2 true newbs, but then 1+ smurf on the other side going at it hardcore.

I'm a little frustrated - I hold back a lot in those games because my friend won't learn anything from me singlehandedly butchering our opposition, but he doesn't learn a lot getting butchered by a fed smurf on the other team either. Blerg.

Larias

Adjudicator

12-21-2009

To counter high level players (1800) queueing with new players (1200) to get matched against 1450 ELO rating people, Riot made it so that anyone below 250 (I THINK it's 250) elo rating below the highest elo is moved to 250 ELO below the highest elo for the queue.

If you have a 2000, an 1800, a 1950, a 1400, and a 1500, then the actual ELO for the premade would be 2000, 1800, 1950, 1750, 1750 instead of that.

Xiao

Recruiter

12-21-2009

Well the new matchmaking improvements should pull great players out of low ELO ranks faster and more accurately. An end to smurfing forever? Maybe.

Landa

12-21-2009

So basicaly you are forcing a team consisting of these Elos: 2000 300 500 200 300 (Average: 660)
To play against a team with these: 2000 1750 1750 1750 1750. Or any combination which averages: 1800.

Way to go..

That is one way of forcing me into smurfing or quitting the game.

Kahryl

12-21-2009

I usually turn up my nose at any kind of matchmaking exploitation, but you basically have to smurf if you want to play with low-elo friends.