So Morello, Where is "The" Lux skin?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GLaD0S

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegotlazy View Post
Exactly how long does it take to create 1 skin in its entirety? I'm honestly interested in how skins are made and the steps that you guys go through.
I'd imagine coming up with the concept itself is the hardest part, the artists seem generally talented enough to bang out some really impressive quick sketches and 3d models. its probably the concept and the little details that take forever.

Critkeeper

12-16-2013

Hey morello, on a completely unrelated note, can we get more interesting light fighter items?

Like an item that activate-- it puts out a untargetable ghost and 3 seconds later you are instantly transported back to the location of that ghost.

So when I want to trade with people as a melee champ I don't have to think in terms of "am i willing to go all-in or not".
I can just say "am I willing to lose the option of being able to finish them off if it becomes more than a simple trade".

It makes it so that melee champs can trade more often, since they will have a safe disengage. Trading more often equals more interactivity equals more fun. They still have to spend the resources to engage though-- they still have to use a gap closer to close the gap.

Also jukes are fun to watch

RavenHusky

12-16-2013

Thanks for the reply Morello. Sounds like it is going to still be quite a while though...

Expectations were kind of raised though when you said back in January that you wanted to get another Lux skin out sooner than normal, as I figured that another skin within a year would be reasonable.

Whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure it would be worth the wait.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-16-2013
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegotlazy View Post
Exactly how long does it take to create 1 skin in its entirety? I'm honestly interested in how skins are made and the steps that you guys go through.
Depends on the skin - normal skins are faster to make than Legendaries of course. Ultimates are massive undertakings - I think 9+ months per, considering new tech and bugs also.

Mindbullets actually has this kind of information, and it's morphed quite a bit since I worked more closely with the skins team

Morello

Lead Designer

12-16-2013
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
Thanks for the reply Morello. Sounds like it is going to still be quite a while though...

Expectations were kind of raised though when you said back in January that you wanted to get another Lux skin out sooner than normal, as I figured that another skin within a year would be reasonable.

Whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure it would be worth the wait.
To be honest, I thought that too, but we (and I think correctly) focused on making sure to do skins for some underserved champions first. That changed the equation a bit too.

Maximum Lolis

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
To be honest, I thought that too, but we (and I think correctly) focused on making sure to do skins for some underserved champions first. That changed the equation a bit too.
Cheerleader Lux = Money. Think about it.

GLaD0S

12-16-2013

Quote:
But what about blitz, who as noted received two skins in a time period after lux got steel legion. I know they were already in progress, I assume, but then why can't we expect that for lux?

Hellioning

12-16-2013

Quote:
So you decided to make a Tryndamere and a Riven skin.

I know, I know, it's not like you're going to drop everything to do what GD wants you to, but there are an awful lot of champions who only have one or two skin choices. I can KINDA give you slack on Karma, given that she was remade and you guys apparently had a skin for her planned but it didn't work out, but Diana is JUST NOW getting her first post-release skin. Meanwhile, how many skins to Annie and Teemo have?

Flaest

12-16-2013

Quote:
I hope we won't have to wait for another year, anything else is fine=)
By the way, do you guys have a general direction with her skin? Or you still unsure of what it should be?

SlitherySnakeSex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2013

Quote:
Well in what world do we announce timelines? :P

I just want to mention this is not forgotten or abandoned, which =! now.
I just find it weird that people would even hint about something, and not have it at least be released in the near see-able future.

I mean, really you could say "There is going to be an insane Varus skin!!!!!" And suddenly people will speculate what it could possibly be. Meanwhile there is no actual timeframe in which to flesh out ideas and no real deadline as to when this skin NEEDS to be done and created. You just sorta... made the idea to everyone that Varus will have an amazing skin and in their minds= soon, or at least in the near future with updates on its progress. Instead you just sorta... have it in the back of your head.

While you're "Prioritizing" other things. I don't understand, there are too many things you guys "prioritize" it's a wonder how you even keep up the game at all O_o

I just hear that you guys will create something and just sort of place it in the back of my mind because... honestly it'll take you guys forever and a day. I assume my grandchildren will still be waiting for Ao Shin.