Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Psychology and giving up too soon.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frege

12-10-2010

So, I was thinking earlier, as I was raging at this Ezreal in my lane, about why people tend to give up or leave so fast in solo queue. I had been trying to communicate to him for about 5 minutes why he shouldn't just auto attack the minions. It took him a while to get it, and he didn't before pushing to the tower and getting killed by olaf who knew a little more about how to play. Mid died 3 times by this point.

Watching this happen makes it really easy to think "wow, my teammates are bad, and don't know what's going on, while apparently the enemy is good, and is managing to do things right." Meanwhile, people who gamble and lose never want to cut their losses, they want to gamble more to "make up" for what they lost. So people who die in an early skirmish don't get cautious, they get more aggressive, so that they can even the score. When you're watching all of this unfold, and you are someone with the meta-cognition to see what's happening, it's really easy to think that the enemy is just better, because that's what you're seeing.

In retrospect, I don't think the opposing lane was CSing at all against us. Ez was bad, but so was their kennen. It just so happens that when their competent player ganks, I can't save Ez, and my best play might be to just get pushed to tower. The circumstances just happened to make it look like their team was "better". Similarly, mid might have two crappy players who both got involved when neither really knew they had the advantage; theirs won, and then they kept both getting in stupid fights, but now they already had the advantage.

I think a lot of success has to do with not worrying about the results of one fight, just continuing to play smart and realizing that the teams aren't as unbalanced as they seem, the chips are just falling that way. Of course, I can't do that. I am just going to rage and then give up as usual. Kudos.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blurpe

12-10-2010

i fail to understand