Jax Help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garathmir

12-23-2009

I've been playing a lot of Jax lately as well,

For me it feels like after getting his movement item, that you almost always have to get either attack speed or damage next as your 3rd main item, I've been playing around a lot with him and it feels like it really depends on the game what to get.

Bagration

12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
I don't get why everyone says ninja boots are mandatory on jax. They're decent, but because of diminishing returns on dodge, they don't actually benefit him more than any other champion. The boots themselves will always prevent 11% additional damage regardless of pre-existing dodge factores.

The only other thing dodge does for him is activate counterstrike, but the bottleneck with that is cooldown, not how often you dodge. Champ fights shouldn't be lasting long enough for multiple counter attacks.
Have you done the calculations on dodge from the mechanics thread in this forum? The diminishing returns penalty is pretty negligible. I'm sure at a certain high percentage of dodge that the cost/benefit of getting more becomes detrimental to a champion, but at these low levels we're dealing with, it's really a non-factor. At 25% dodge, you are maybe seeing a percentage point less from your total then you would if diminishing returns didn't exist.

I agree they aren't mandatory on him and the Greaves would be fine, but I can't wrap my head around your argument as to why. The plus armor and dodge is a perfect compliment for a champion that should be in the middle of creeps to get his Counter-Strike procs and whether champion battles should be over before CS can proc multiple times or not, in my experience I see at least 2-3 procs when 1v1ing someone. I would say if any champion in the game should stack dodge, it's Jax.

Dyrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
Dyrus' build is pretty solid.

1: Doran's Shield
2: Ninja Tabi
3: Phage
4: Emblem of Valor -- Now you can quickly take jungle with low risk due to the regen and leech!
5: Upgrade Phage to Mallet
6: Upgrade Emblem to Stark's Fervor
7: Banshee's Veil / Phantom Dancer / GA? I dunno, seems to me that his games tended to end before these items came into play.

Personally I like starting with a Ruby Crystal over the Shield and I like to build Catalyst out of it, but Dyrus' build has better staying power in lane early.
I guess vorador is right, I can't play any other chars besides jax nowdays.

Epicname

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-24-2009

I play Jax every game and I always come out on top with these items.

1. Boots of Speed > N. Tabi
2. Stark's Fervor
3. Phantom Dancer
4. Phantom Dancer

The 5th Item doesnt even matter. Once you have over 50-60 percent dodge you are unstoppable. I usually grab another Lifesteal item. Once you have 2 Phantom Dancers you reach the speed cap of 2.5 hits per second and dodge almost everything. I am stacking crit damage runes since I dont have too much AP. Once you have 2 phantoms + maybe a zeal you reach 96 percent crit chance and i normally crit 400s @ 2.5 hits per second + Stun spam. Progaming

Gryzli

01-02-2010

Hey umm...idk if i missed it but Nerax what masterys do you go with on jax?
Btw your post was a guide within itself ..Nice one.

Gryzli

01-03-2010

also i build a ninja tabi a sword of the divine and then a guinsoos .....then built a sheen ....and i saw what it can go into....so i went out on a limb and tried a Lichbane.. the dmg seemed pretty crazy....what are your thoughts?

Dyrus

Senior Recruiter

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzli View Post
also i build a ninja tabi a sword of the divine and then a guinsoos .....then built a sheen ....and i saw what it can go into....so i went out on a limb and tried a Lichbane.. the dmg seemed pretty crazy....what are your thoughts?
add me or big mclarge huge, in game. we'll tell you everything about jax inside out.

Necrax

01-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzli View Post
Hey umm...idk if i missed it but Nerax what masterys do you go with on jax?
Btw your post was a guide within itself ..Nice one.
i usually go with a 18/12/0 build for jax. most jax players disagree with me but i feel most comfortable with it. i need the 3 points in strength of spirit as it allows me (in combination with 1 hp regen quint and 3 yellow hp regen runes) to totally forgo health regen items. for example, i never get the popular early regrowth pendant.

5% damage boost is not too impressive and since i barely stack crit chance with jax i don't find +10% crit damage too sexy either. that's the 2 main offense masteries i skip for strength of spirit.

this pays off even more if you go for an early catalyst (thus increasing your mana which in turn increases your health regen). usually, though, i get catalyst after boots and my first main attack speed item. (sword of divine, malady, last whisper - or just a recurve bow or 2 daggers on the way)

Burbero

01-07-2010

let me do 1 easy question for Necrax!

your build and gameplay is totaly offensive but if u run against a ap char they wil shot u in 4 seconds like Ryz stun/dd/dd/dd u are already death correct me if i wrong!

in all pugs game i made u wil found a strong mele but with your houge dmg i think u got some chance against a Yi who steal life and is fastest like u, in your part u have evade so u got chance to beat him, but when u found a huge Mage who are able to stun/dd your dps isnt good or im wronging?

Necrax

01-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbero View Post
let me do 1 easy question for Necrax!

your build and gameplay is totaly offensive but if u run against a ap char they wil shot u in 4 seconds like Ryz stun/dd/dd/dd u are already death correct me if i wrong!

in all pugs game i made u wil found a strong mele but with your houge dmg i think u got some chance against a Yi who steal life and is fastest like u, in your part u have evade so u got chance to beat him, but when u found a huge Mage who are able to stun/dd your dps isnt good or im wronging?
you are right, but mass cc will shut down about any hero.

since i often go for an early catalyst i almost always end up buying a banshee's veil mid/late to reduce cc threats. you can't have an answer to everything with one single champ. you will partly have to rely on your team as well. no matter what you champ you chose.

your best bet is to include banshee's veil in your jax build but delay it as much as possible depending on the enemy's team setup. also, wit's end is a good substitute for sword of divine, malady, phantom dancer etc. if you face a heavy magic team since it gives you MR and a 42 damage mana burn.

in worst case scenarios try to get banshee's veil and quiksilver sash. i barely felt the need to do this though. you will have to sacrifice damage for survivability. also, as mentioned in my first post, get those elixirs boosting your HP if you have spare money.

after all, if you got an unlucky timing and a 5 man team with 3 cc's is focusing you, there's not much that can save you