Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jax Help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necrax

12-22-2009

hey again,

i'll share my experience on phage.

i included it in most former builds i used for jax. it helped me out with the occasional slow and really helped with survival. but the more i played jax, the less i felt i need early survival boosts or the slow effect on chance.

later on i started upgrading to mallet as soon as i could and kind of found joy in chasing down enemy champs. it just got less and less important as it seems that chances to surprisingly chase a soloing opponent became less. i donno why, maybe the general experience of players increased and catching a solo champ offguard happens not too often anymore.

i still used phage/mallet a while but noticed i could easier go for an early golem/lizard buff with increased attack speed. dont get me wrong, you can do it early with phage as well, it just went smoother even though i had less hp. also, level 1 relentless assault benefits the most from attack speed. the more you level your ult the less you need attack speed and damage becomes more beneficial.

drip: i like your build in general since i use something similar as i posted before. the only difference is i dont go early phage. if you want early survival i'd recommend catalyst. you can upgrade it to banshees veil later which is nice to have and more helpful late game.

it's very effective to go sapphire -> tabi -> dagger -> catalyst -> recurve -> guinsoo -> divinity actually, especially when the starting screen tells you an earlier (mid game) banshee is necessary. even though a very early catalyst benefits you the most, i throw in ninja tabi and a dagger before finishing it since it helps so much with farming and killing neutrals.

i consider guinsoo's one of the best items i tried on jax lately. i almost always use it now. getting 2 is also extremely effective. the attack speed stacks are maxed in no time and the damage + ap boost just makes your burst damage so much better with all 3 abilities that make use of AP. i prefer to spend gold on 2 guinsoos to building an infinity edge if i have the chance to.

leonhart83

12-22-2009

Hey fellow Jax fans,
Well I had quite a few games last night (Australia) and I tried your secondary build Necrax but I found that I was struggling (or had a terrible team) and just could not get the gold earlier enough to be effective. So I have modified my base build a little and I won the next 3 out of 4.

1. Doran Shield + Health Pot
This gives me the confidence at the start to harass and I find it much better then starting boots + 3 pots. The health regen and extra armor is a plus. Of course the small health boost is good as well.

2. Tabi
I usually get the speed boots a soon as I get the 350 and teleport back so as I can so my lane will go pretty much unharmed. At this stage I will be at a better advantage then my previous build early on. I have also found that I have been going Leap Strike+Empower quite effectively now usually snagging a kill and allowing me to finish my Tabi very quickly.

3. Phage
I know you don't recommend this Necrax but the health and small attack upgrade has at least proven in my ELO to allow excellent harassment. I usually get the health as soon as I can and teleport back, most times I have enough money early to get both health and sword at the same time.

4. Zeal
Most people here would probably think that I am a bit late on the attack speed item and you are probably right. This is where I usually make the decision to go with Zeal or Valor. I have found that I go Zeal most times though as I want to complete the Trinity as soon as I can. If I do go Valor then I don't go for the Trinity and instead take Zeal->Phantom Edge/Starks.

5. Sheen
At this stage of the game I am finding that this item has been giving me some huge killing power. Getting a 100 percent increase on your next attack after an ability is HUGE. If I am not getting some kills at this stage then I feel as though the game is lost.

6. Trinity Force
I have had huge success with this item, but I find that it is mainly due to the fact that I will probably be winning already when I get this. I find that the games that I lose (which has been quite a few) I have not been able to purchase this.

#Banshee's Veil
An item that I usually get if my health is causing an issue (no second phage now) or I am struggling against magic. I believe that this item belongs more in this build and I am working on bringing it in.
It will probably replace Phage at some stage if I find that Trinity Force is worse than the 2xGuinsoo.

Necrax
Do you think going for the Trinity Force is not a viable option? It seems to be made for Jax.... I am not sure on the Guinsoo either, will have to give it a try. Is it really better than Sheen/Trinity?
I am also not sure about the Sword of Divinity. It seems like the weapon that people get to kill Jax not the weapon FOR Jax.

Can someone please post the stats for Sword of Divinity as it seems that Riot have not updated their item list or Champion list.

Necrax

12-22-2009

hey leonhart,

your build is fine. honestly. i just gave hints on what can work on jax. you are right about trinity force though, it is a very good item on jax.

also my starting items almost always are sapphire crytstal + 2 health pots. i feel safe with it but it might be different for different types of players. weeks ago i started with regrowth pendant most of the time and didn't bother to upgrade it. it's extremely reliable and reassuring for laning early. but no i prefer the option to a catalyst upgrade if i need it. trinity force is awesome, but it lacks proper attack speed if you get it first with phage -> zeal -> sheen.

also sword of divinity, sheen and your ultimate makes for some sexy damage output.

stats for divinity: +55% attack speed, every 4th attack deals 100 extra magic damage. ACTIVE: your attacks cannot be dodged and you gain 30 armor penetration for 5 sec, 1 min cooldown.

leonhart83

12-22-2009

Quote:
Necrax:
hey leonhart,

your build is fine. honestly. i just gave hints on what can work on jax. you are right about trinity force though, it is a very good item on jax.

also my starting items almost always are sapphire crytstal + 2 health pots. i feel safe with it but it might be different for different types of players. weeks ago i started with regrowth pendant most of the time and didn't bother to upgrade it. it's extremely reliable and reassuring for laning early. but no i prefer the option to a catalyst upgrade if i need it. trinity force is awesome, but it lacks proper attack speed if you get it first with phage -> zeal -> sheen.

also sword of divinity, sheen and your ultimate makes for some sexy damage output.

stats for divinity: +55% attack speed, every 4th attack deals 100 extra magic damage. ACTIVE: your attacks cannot be dodged and you gain 30 armor penetration for 5 sec, 1 min cooldown.

To be honest I think I am just NOT as good as you and will take ALOT more practice. I know that Jax is a DPS machine but I have had HUGE problems with survivability and everyone knowing that Jax is squishy means he is a prime target in 5vs5. I am almost certain that my build will turn into something more similar to yours once I have over 200 games played when I have mastered jungling (I very rarely do this) and making better decisions in game.

Thanks for all of the tips on Jax he seems to be a dieing breed at least in my ELO.

Micky.

Mello

Recruiter

12-22-2009

My question is why would you even consider getting trinity force? Yes, the 150% extra after doing a leap is nice, but id rather have a mallet and then push zeal to a dancer, if the game lasts the long. Rageblade is a must, it works so well with Jax's ult. Also, am I one of the few fools that ops out of ninja tabi? Dodge is nice, but if you go berserkers and get him swinging like a mad man you won't be able to see his attack animations. Malady helps here also, the attack speed and lifesteal aren't too shabby. Just a little something I've been screwing with and it usually works pretty nice, havn't thrown in sword of the divine but if I can afford, why the hell not

Necrax

12-23-2009

Quote:
Mello:
My question is why would you even consider getting trinity force? Yes, the 150% extra after doing a leap is nice, but id rather have a mallet and then push zeal to a dancer, if the game lasts the long. Rageblade is a must, it works so well with Jax's ult. Also, am I one of the few fools that ops out of ninja tabi? Dodge is nice, but if you go berserkers and get him swinging like a mad man you won't be able to see his attack animations. Malady helps here also, the attack speed and lifesteal aren't too shabby. Just a little something I've been screwing with and it usually works pretty nice, havn't thrown in sword of the divine but if I can afford, why the hell not

you're definitely not the only one. i think i even remember seeing a guide here that recommends going greaves instead of tabi.

mallet - dancer is very common and viable on jax. trinity force is a good option if you go for a burst build with divinity and sheen. if the game goes that long, why not upgrade that sheen? it's no harm.

i just can't see any use for greaves in my build for it though. counterstrike is too important to give up 11% of a chance to trigger it. "dodge is nice but" seems weird to me talking about jax. but then, i often see jaxes that barely use counterstrike for some reason, so those ppl might not miss it that much. i do.

lets theorycraft a bit: with greaves, malady and phantom dancer you you reach an attack speed of 2.19 (not counting any runes). while this is good on jax in general, it limits your benefit from relentless assault or rageblade if you get it because you are capped after 2 hits anyway. not to mention if you get sword of divine as well. you are capped from the start and basically reduce your ultimate to the bonus damage on each third hit. and rageblade just lost a little of it's worth as well.

it won't kill you but i think it's a waste of money because you get that attack speed for free anyway. you just need an initial boost of 50 or more percent to get your ultimate going faster.

more importantly, increasing burst damage a litte more helps in those nasty games where you have to deal out some damage in very short moments when facing a mass disabling team.

giving up that 11% dodge and thus reducing the effectiveness of your only crowd control ability seems not viable to me. especially since some AP, -cd from golem etc. may let you spam counterstrike in many situations and this can be devastating.

also each gold in lifesteal cannot be spent somewhere else. bloodthirster may be an exception due to it's awesome damage stacking ability. a mid game executioner might be good against taric/soraka/kayle as well. i personally never go lifesteal though unless there is a healing champion and like 5 summoner heals to compensate.
in fun games, where i plan to kill baron solo i would, but otherwise no.

@leonhart: yeah just try around and stick to what works best for you. changes in your build will eventually evolve. it's more efficient for your team if you play a build you like than playing a build from any guide (or even worse, my advice) out there if you aren't into the thinking and playstyle of the guy who wrote it. just take this: you are not stuck to any certain build that will always work for you. be flexible and watch your stats during play, so you get a feeling on how quick your attack speed caps (if it does) depending on your ultimate level and your items.

Excorsism

12-23-2009

I'm not sure if you tried this before but using Jax's ultimate to harass is pretty good. For the opposing melee guy you are laning with. Hit a minion two times and run in to hit the guy with the meaty third strike and it'll make him run. It's pretty funny. Works every time.

I imagine if you wanted to try it with a ranged, you'd have to leap in after the 2nd strike but I'm not sure if that works.

Edit: Hmph, it's been said already but whatever, better to emphasize it some more.

Necrax

12-23-2009

Quote:
Excorsism:
I'm not sure if you tried this before but using Jax's ultimate to harass is pretty good. For the opposing melee guy you are laning with. Hit a minion two times and run in to hit the guy with the meaty third strike and it'll make him run. It's pretty funny. Works every time.

I imagine if you wanted to try it with a ranged, you'd have to leap in after the 2nd strike but I'm not sure if that works.

Edit: Hmph, it's been said already but whatever, better to emphasize it some more.

yup it works. the first hit after your leap will trigger the bonus damage. combine it with sheen (which will trigger with your first hit after you use an ability - leap) and watch your opponent cower in fear - most of the time at least

Lemons

12-23-2009

Doran's Shield + 1 red potion
Ninja Tabi
Phage + Giant's Belt
Malady
Frozen Mallet
Last Whisper
Phantom Dancer

FABIOForever

12-23-2009

I don't get why everyone says ninja boots are mandatory on jax. They're decent, but because of diminishing returns on dodge, they don't actually benefit him more than any other champion. The boots themselves will always prevent 11% additional damage regardless of pre-existing dodge factores.

The only other thing dodge does for him is activate counterstrike, but the bottleneck with that is cooldown, not how often you dodge. Champ fights shouldn't be lasting long enough for multiple counter attacks.