[Guide] Katarina - Build/Tactics Top Tier

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Willz0r

01-05-2010

I have only ever encountered 1 decent AP kat, I'm no-where near top 500 so this could be a contributing factor. Personally the AD Kat has more benefits than that of the AP one imo, you can take towers down faster, bouncing blades deal more, which is decent for creep waves, and finishing enemy champs off.

You can still use Ryali's for it's slow effect, but it's only a 15% speed reduc, since it's multi-target, also all her attacks are deemed magic (iirc) as mentioned somewhere in this thread, a void staff is more beneficial for its AP pen and pricing in comparison to the slight slow of Ryali's.

Zirun

01-05-2010

One method you can use to harass (that I don't think is mentioned) if the enemies are staying out of BB range is to Shunpo onto something between them and you (getting closer in the process, last hitting with Shunpo if possible) and then immediately using BB (+KI) on a champion, as you'll likely be in range.

Love the guide. I watched a few top-tier games involving Kat before this was posted (dreamy's livestream, mostly) and thought about trying it out. While I was saving up for her, this was posted. At the time, I was hovering around 50/50 Win/Loss, and now I'm 28 games above .500, mostly playing Kat.

Nothing I love more than killing an opponent by a tower with Shunpo, BB and Ignite, then getting out with Shunpo right after.

Still working on a pentakill, though. I managed to get a quad kill a day or two ago, though it was kind of weird. I ended up killing only one person with Death Lotus, but got another (autoattack :P) kill shortly after and then Lotus was up again to get two more kills.

I really enjoy playing Kat on a side lane with a partner with some kind of CC (Shaco and Alistar are my favorite), getting a few kills early and being able to carry against a CC-light team or with good teamwork. And nobody can complain if I don't carry the team, because I'm not a carry! :P

Dairy

01-05-2010

Seriously man. I love Katarina and I just tryed your guide. You're wicked, 1st play and I was rollin'.
I had best score and really nice support in gankin'. I love you. <3

*******http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7795/katarina.png********

I'm not a pro, but this guild made me happy. (^^) Thanks a lot.

Furor

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagflap View Post
Oddly enough after this guide I've seen a lot more katarina's out there, and they'r doing well..
Well it would seem my guide has become one of the most successful, because before this, most players saw Kat as a mediocre champion. In tier lists, she's still usually listed mid or below. And honestly, nothing in here is revolutionary. I build a lot of my champions around the same basic premises (survival, damage, survival) and it just works. With the right mentality, you can turn just about any champion into a beast.

Quote:
First of all, I hate to denounce a good player, but I personally feel kat is a cookie-cutter hero. Mainly because she doesn't use mana, takes out a lot of worries.
I'm not sure how much experience you have playing Katarina (if at all), but she's far from cookie-cutter. The only way you could consider that is if you consider how the item builds have evolved since my previous musings and this guide was posted. Yes, a great many use my rough guidelines to succeed - but almost every Katarina player I know uses a variable or two. Very few use the exact same build as I do. And from game to game, I change my build ever so slightly to maximize my usefulness. While the basic items and builds used are very similar, within that category there is a plethora of variability options. When you get what item matters significantly, and changes nearly every game.

Quote:
But why I'm posting is actually because all these recent kat players have gotten me interested. My question is why does no one play her AP anymore? Was the 1.0.0.52 patch nerf of

"Katarina
  • Shunpo Ability Power Ratio reduced from .8 to .75
  • Shunpo Cooldown increased from 9/8/7/6/5 to 10/9/8/7/6
  • Death Lotus Ability Power Ratio reduced from .4 to .35

enough to make her better with straight atck DMG? not to mention it seems AP is a lot easier to stack that DMG. Not to mention that items with AP seem more usefull for katarina, such as rylai's abbysal sceptre and such. Seems you could take out HP items that don't help her offensive abilities by building AP...
Honestly, part of the reason that AP survived as long as it did was because it originally was much better than Attack when Katarina was first introduced. However, during that time, I wasn't even playing LoL (I was grinding an SM to 50 in Aion, and then quit :/). After many subsequent nerfs to AP scaling, and buffs to Attack scaling, it has become far more efficient both damage-wise and survival-wise to go AD. Straight up, while Blasting Wand doesn't cost that much, its effectiveness as far as Death Lotus is concerned is almost 50% less than the attack damage equivalent (35% vs. 65%), which makes the nearly twice-as-costly B. F. Sword more gold-efficient. That's not even factoring in things like Auto-Attack and BB hitting multiple targets.

Quote:
Read the guide, very well done. Made my games a lot harder lately vs katarina's.
Thanks, and that is largely my goal in posting this guide. It also makes it harder for me to keep my status as Numero Uno Kat Player, so I find that somewhat challenging and keeps me on my toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirun
One method you can use to harass (that I don't think is mentioned) if the enemies are staying out of BB range is to Shunpo onto something between them and you (getting closer in the process, last hitting with Shunpo if possible) and then immediately using BB (+KI) on a champion, as you'll likely be in range.
I refer to that as the "Leap Frog". Can be used in any situation where you've got a runner at low health, and you've got targets to Shunpo to, whether they be enemy champs, minions, or allies.

You can also increase your movespeed on someone that has like Boots of Mobility or really high move-speed by following them around and Shunpo'ing on them every time it's up. Useful if you're running, or following in for a gank, which makes it easier and faster to set up even if your move-speed isn't that great.

Hamburglin

01-05-2010

Nice attack based guide, but I think that a rylai's build is more fun to me, and more suitable for all around play. Near perma slow with high shunpo damage is brutal mid game, along with a nice sized damage ult, that ALSO slows.

One thing that I read and completely disagree with is your statement of all or nothing attacks. Shupo is great for getting out after a hit or two, or just unsuspectingly shupoing and immediately running back behind your creeps with a bb thrown in.

FaSkill

01-06-2010

Hi back Furor,

I'm actually only playing Katarina but I am also interested in high level gaming (tournaments for example).
I was wondering what hero you would advice that is op in tournament play and that would be fun to play for a Katarina player (i'd like some hero-killer hero).
Thanks in advance

P.S :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglin View Post
One thing that I read and completely disagree with is your statement of all or nothing attacks. Shupo is great for getting out after a hit or two, or just unsuspectingly shupoing and immediately running back behind your creeps with a bb thrown in.
Can't you bother reading the WHOLE text before criticizing?
What's more, you're obviously talking about something you haven't fully tested because it is obvious that rylai's build is inferior to this one. I've never seen a single Katarina playing with this build who was better than I am, and I'm not such a good player (yet, hopefully ).

seresibyl

01-06-2010

The only thing that makes me sad about Katarina is that if there's an Alistar on the other team you're pretty useless :S

Cleo

01-07-2010

This build is absolutely disgusting if you can pull it off, but the main problem is, of course, CC and positioning. If you can't get a good position on them you might as well just auto attack.

Brendanui

01-07-2010

Fairly solid build. Shame OP is a colossal ******.

Furor

01-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglin
I was speaking specifically on team fights when I mentioned that. Hence, why that "Team Fight Strategy" was underlined. Perhaps actually reading - and comprehending - the text should be your priority, and not merely skimming over bits and pieces and taking things out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSkill
I'm actually only playing Katarina but I am also interested in high level gaming (tournaments for example).
I was wondering what hero you would advice that is op in tournament play and that would be fun to play for a Katarina player (i'd like some hero-killer hero).
Thanks in advance
Honestly, I do not play other carries. I normally play Kat or a Tank or maybe Support DPS like Teemo. Malphite is pretty much one of the most solid choices for high tier play, since he is a great initiator, can be built as a Tank or DPS or a hybrid, and has a soft counter to physical carries (reduced attack speed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanui View Post
Fairly solid build. Shame OP is a colossal ******.
Yeah, I hate that ******bag. He's such a ****ing ****. I wish he'd go DIAF or something. His e-peen may be enormous but he's a total ****wad.

Plus he only knows how to play one champion. Oh, and he's a ******. Wait, sorry, COLOSSAL ******.