[Guide] Katarina - Build/Tactics Top Tier

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2009

I see 90% of the katarina's running around with your build. Great guide. On a semi-unrelated note, I was playing Veiger yesterday and got our Kat a penta-kill with my event horizon. Those bloodthirsters make her ult insane...

Furor

12-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagga View Post
I see 90% of the katarina's running around with your build. Great guide. On a semi-unrelated note, I was playing Veiger yesterday and got our Kat a penta-kill with my event horizon. Those bloodthirsters make her ult insane...
Yeah, Veigar has some great synergy with that because it acts as a nice bullseye for her ult, since they're about the same radius. I got my pentakill the hard way, though, with pretty much zero help from team CC ;o

Charmicarmicarmicat

12-30-2009

Why ignite over exhaust btw?

Exhaust increases the damage from lotus by lowering resist and slowing them while providing utility - is the ignite damage that much higher?

EIometer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2009

I tried both ignite and exhaust, and I find that ignite is better than exhaust b/c:

1. Kat's autoattack is very slow, so you'll be getting maybe 2 extra hits in with exhaust
2. Lotus is a very quick spell. If the person you target runs out of Lotus' range when you're not even half done, then you're doing something wrong (unless it's w/ Flash, or escape skills).
3. Early game determines Late game.....Ignite is an amazing spell early game b/c it deals a ton of damage. Midgame it's also great for ganks and getting some nice last hits, and by lategame you won't need ignite at all.

If you harass the enemy (assuming at middle lane) @ lvl 1 with a shunpo + attack, then harass them a second time @ lvl 2 with shunpo+BB+autoattack+Ignite as they run away, you'll deal some serious damage and often proc a quick heal from your opponent.

Against an Ashe or an Annie, it's important that you level to 6 before they do. I find that Ignite is very useful to keep your opponents wary of your combos over Exhaust, where they can simply back out and wait.

Ignite > Exhaust early game
Exhaust > Ignite late game

Since late game is determined by how well you do the first 15-20 minutes, ignite should be much more helpful.

Furor

12-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmicarmicarmicat View Post
Why ignite over exhaust btw?

Exhaust increases the damage from lotus by lowering resist and slowing them while providing utility - is the ignite damage that much higher?
Actually in my latest builds I was running exhaust. It's really up to personal choice. I think Ignite is a bigger "omgwtf" surprise than Exhaust is, and thus usually gets you an earlier kill. Exhaust on the other hand is better late game and against physical carries.

SG GodFlow

Recruiter

12-30-2009

Just read section IV and learned a bunch of new things. I'm going to wait for the day I pull off a Wardpo and post it on youtube.

FaSkill

12-31-2009

Just uprated your post

By the way I haven't seen you (on your profile) play kat for a while now and I was wondering if you were changing hero because you thought another hero was more useful or just to be able to play another hero when/if the opponents choose to "ban" kat.
Because I've been playing kat for a while now and I figured out that whatever I do doesn't have a huge influence on the match outcome.
I have always a very good score at 30 mins (2-1 KD at least) but I can't manage to carry the team well enough against for example a yi who has the same KD (or worse) as/than me and I find that if the yi had the same teammates as me they'd still win.
I know you're gonna say Kat is a team support hero but still I sometimes wonder if I'm really useful even when I frag alot.

Thanks again for your oh-so-useful post

Furor

12-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSkill View Post
By the way I haven't seen you (on your profile) play kat for a while now and I was wondering if you were changing hero because you thought another hero was more useful or just to be able to play another hero when/if the opponents choose to "ban" kat.
Most of it is just me making sure that I have an expanded repertoire of available champions that I am good at. On the other hand, I do not honestly think that Katarina is viable in a high tier tournament format. Unless you build your entire team around her, she just isn't going to get her ultimate off against competent opponents. And without the ultimate, she doesn't feel like a complete champion when compared to the many alternatives. You could go Morgana + Kayle + Janna + Amumu + Kat, but every other carry can do that and usually better since their sustained DPS is almost always higher due to relying on auto-attacks, not on an ultimate that can be interrupted.

Quote:
Because I've been playing kat for a while now and I figured out that whatever I do doesn't have a huge influence on the match outcome.
Like I described above, Katarina is more of a soft carry than a hard carry.

Quote:
I have always a very good score at 30 mins (2-1 KD at least) but I can't manage to carry the team well enough against for example a yi who has the same KD (or worse) as/than me and I find that if the yi had the same teammates as me they'd still win.
I know you're gonna say Kat is a team support hero but still I sometimes wonder if I'm really useful even when I frag alot.

Thanks again for your oh-so-useful post
Kat requires more support from her team than the other carries do. That's her main problem, and why I specifically say at least twice in the guide that you probably won't do well without a decent team backing you. It also relies somewhat on the other team to be dysfunctional, which is unfortunate.

marsd

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furor View Post
... I do not honestly think that Katarina is viable in a high tier tournament format. Unless you build your entire team around her, she just isn't going to get her ultimate off against competent opponents. And without the ultimate, she doesn't feel like a complete champion when compared to the many alternatives.
"Here's my guide to Katarina... don't play it."

I don't even know what to say at this point.

MiCrOwAvEz

01-01-2010

"Here's my guide to Katarina for use in 99.999% of games"