[Guide] Ashe - The Team Queen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheCrueler

12-11-2010

To be honest, Ashe seems like a really bad champion. I try to main her but she really lacks life and damage, even near maxed on items. I recently switched to Malphite and I can get more kills and also am a tank.

Ashe really helps in group battles for only one reason. Her arrow can get your team a free gank right before group battles. Other champions seem to rival her dps and have better skills. I really love Ashe and wish I could find a way to use her but she is just really under par in every department.

Eledhan

12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulsStealer View Post
1. Very interesting read....the big thing I see is the use of heal, this ability looks stronger than it is. The timer on it is rather long and the amount healed is not enough IMO. Coming from someone who used it to lvl 30 playing Garen all the time. I always thought it was a great summoner ability, but I was mistaken. I don't look down on people who have it though because it can save your life. Flash is probably an op summoner ability, ghost is also a strong choice. Summoner abilities though should suit the person playing, as long as the person does not get addicted to one set of summoner abilities without trying any of the other solid comps... example being flash/ignite....ghost/ignite....ghost/flash.... so on and so forth
I agree wholeheartedly...

The only thing is, Ashe's late game is phenomenal...she just has issues getting there. I think most players would agree that Heal is better than Flash early game for a solo mid, which is why I use it.

I will probably make the switch to Flash at a later date (once I complete my rune page), but for now, I'm sticking with Heal. Either choice will work in my opinion, but like I mentioned in the guide, feel free to use whatever you want!

Although some of the combos above work really well, Ashe really doesn't have big need for extra damage early on...at least not in my opinion. Her damage scales really well due to her superior farming/harassing ability, which is why I ignore offensive Spells and opt for the more utility/defensive Spells.

Quote:
2. suppose an interesting item to discuss is the use of Madreds Bloodrazor? I have seen a whole lot of talk on this item, and a lot of ad carries using it...what are the problems with it? does it ever have a use with ashe?
The issue with Madred's is that unless you put magic penetration items into your build (which you really have no space for with Ashe), Madred's can easily be countered by 1 magic resist item, effectively reducing your damage to 2 or 3% of total HP. In addition, Ashe should never (and I really do mean NEVER, unless you're fighting a bunch of noobs, or chasing) stand there and auto-attack champs, because she will get destroyed.

Volley and auto attacks are the two sources of damage for Ashe, both of which scale with AD. Madred's is too expensive with almost no benefit to AD, which doesn't help at all with Volley, and barely helps with attacks. You're better served maxing your CDR so you can fire off more Arrows.

Don't get me wrong, Madred's is a great item...just not on Ashe. Think of it this way...you could get Last Whisper and a BF Sword for only 15 gold more...this would be a MUCH better buy for Ashe, and addresses any tanks stacking armor better than Madred's would.

Quote:
P.S Appendix B could be a whole lot of writing....haha
Yes, it will!

This guide is gonna be a long work in progress, but hopefully it'll be the definitive guide for Ashe, but that's quite an undertaking! Ah, well... I'm open to suggestions and further improvements, but so far, I feel like everything has been extremely successful, and will continue to update and improve as I try out suggestions from others and come up with my own improvements!

Eledhan

12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner1990 View Post
I think there is definitely a place for MAdred sometimes. Situational, it can be very good.
The only time you would really be justified in getting Madred's is if you are ROFLstomping some people in a pick up game. Otherwise, anyone with a half a brain in their head is gonna go get a magic resist item and SEVERELY reduce the damage of that 3800 gold item. It's better to spend the gold on a Last Whisper and a BF Sword for a measly 15 gold extra.

Like I said above, Madred's isn't a bad item, it's just not the optimal item for Ashe...it doesn't really do much against squishies (since they don't have high health), and a good tank will already be accounting for it by building some magic resist. Enhance your Volley with AD, CDR, and Armor Pen instead...more value there.

Quote:
The reason I suggest Raduin is because I think it gives better value than brutalizer. Brutalizer provides relatively little damage in the late game, while raduin provide quite a bit of protection, plus some slow utlity, and even more CDR.
I think I'll give this a shot just to see how it works, but the protection against damage isn't really that necessary for Ashe late game, as her biggest concern is spells. To address that, you have to get Banshee's. As I've already mentioned, if you get 2 defensive items + boots, you're left with only 3 slots for damage items...Ghostblade & IE + situational. If you're up against armor toting tanks, you pretty much have to build LW, which keeps your damage too low...you need that extra slot for another BF sword turned into Bloodthirster.

Eledhan

12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRGxX View Post
Good build I was looking for one just to see if what I was using was somewhat "mainstream" and that's literally what I use exactly lol.
Sweet! Thanks!

Yeah, this build is not necessarily "mainstream" since mainstream concepts generally come from the average player. These concepts (according to the critics of my previous attempts at Ashe guides) are what the top-tier players (and I believe a top 100 Ashe main player) uses.

Every time I attempted a guide, people had things to say about how bad it was, so I finally compiled all their advice and re-wrote it. This is the result!

Eledhan

12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrueler View Post
To be honest, Ashe seems like a really bad champion. I try to main her but she really lacks life and damage, even near maxed on items. I recently switched to Malphite and I can get more kills and also am a tank.
If you haven't tried this guide yet, you might want to consider doing so. Focus on the strategy sections and the items you should be looking at, and that will help you with your survivability, harassment, farming, and therefore, your damage. I have found that Ashe is a phenomenal mid, even if she can't push her lane or get kills, she usually out-farms her opponent, keeps her tower alive, and survives early game. If she makes it to late game with good farming and no deaths, she becomes a force to be reckoned with, which is exactly what this guide is all about.

Quote:
Ashe really helps in group battles for only one reason. Her arrow can get your team a free gank right before group battles. Other champions seem to rival her dps and have better skills. I really love Ashe and wish I could find a way to use her but she is just really under par in every department.
I feel like your opinion of her as a viable champion is based on her lack of contributing to team fights...this is not entirely true. The 4 main things she brings to the table are:

1) Dominance of the middle lane. She can hold off a push of 2-3 champs prior to team fighting because of her slows and the threat of her early damage due to good farming. This is VERY important to the success of the team! If you're playing Ashe as a ganking mid solo, I don't think you'll have much success...stay in lane, defend your tower, push theirs, and farm like mad.

2) Initiating team fights with Arrow. Usually, the champ she lands the Arrow on is going to die right from the beginning (unless a tank gets in the way...). This is where Ashe can quickly turn a 5v5 into a 4v5.

3) Stopping enemy ultimates/ambushes. Twitch just pop up behind your team? Use your arrow on him, then Volley, auto, Volley again. Unless he has tons of health (which he usually doesn't), he'll be very close to dead. Nunu/Karthus charging up his ult? Pop him with Arrow...it stops it from going off. Kat/WW tearing into a teammate? Hit them with Arrow and allow your team to focus them down.

4) Chasing/Kiting after a team fight has been determined. Usually, players will begin to retreat as soon as they realize their team is about to lose a team fight. Better to only lose 3 instead of 5, right? Ashe can slow their team so her teammates can either chase them down to finish them off, or so her teammates can escape.

The purpose of this guide is not to convince people who want a good ranged DPS champ that Ashe is the best. It's here to help those who want to play a good Ashe improve their game. Feel free to go play another ranged carry if Ashe just doesn't do it for you, but I personally love playing as Ashe. Lots of tactics and strategy involved and not so much "right-click = win" with her.

Good luck with your games!

SoFFacet

12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrueler View Post

Ashe lacks the steroid of a traditional carry, but has CC and Initiation, which carries typically don't have. Proper Volley spam works almost like a steroid anyways, which overall makes her a sought-after champion at high levels.

Eledhan

12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Ashe lacks the steroid of a traditional carry, but has CC and Initiation, which carries typically don't have. Proper Volley spam works almost like a steroid anyways, which overall makes her a sought-after champion at high levels.
Exactly my point, in much fewer words. Thanks!

SoFFacet

12-11-2010

Np. I didn't comment on your guide before but the strategy sections are pretty nice.

Regarding items, Brut+YGB is pretty nice for the CDR (moar Volleyz), but IE is usually regarded as the better choice since you're supposed to perma-green-pot yourself after you get it, which turns out to be ridiculously strong. Food for thought.

Loonybin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2010

Good guide but "I know the lifesteal is small but it really helps in laning" is wrong. No it doesn't. When last hitting you'll get like 2 hp per kill.

KrayZ33

12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonybin View Post
Good guide but "I know the lifesteal is small but it really helps in laning" is wrong. No it doesn't. When last hitting you'll get like 2 hp per kill.
you even say yourself that your job is to lasthit
that means you are not getting hit often
that means 2hp/attack t is enough to keep you in lane until you get your BF/boots or Brut+boots
the blade will help you last hitting a lot
it will help you to harass alot

if you have to rely on the HP/5 you played Ashe wrong imho
to clarify it, doran's blade is enough to keep you at 80%+ Health and last hit like a boss against malphite who tries to harass you with Q (notice that I'm not talking about Q spam on cooldown, but whenever he gets the *chance* to hit you with it)
dorans shield is most likely the worse starting item for a full-ranged AD carry.

not to mention you can stack doran's blades but you can't stack dorans shields unless you want to waste your money

and lets just say it as it is, Ashe doesn't even need mid to carry a game.. on a 2v2 lane, dorans shield is probably even more useless.