Kat Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Generic Furry

12-20-2009

I can't really find any good information on this champion out there at all, since she seems to have lost all of her popularity when AP Kat died out. So what runes would you guys recommend a DPS Kat take in order to maximize effectiveness?

Currently I'm running Marks as Armor Pen, Seals as Dodge, and Glyphs for AP still due to lack of anything worthwhile for the slot. For Quintessences I'm just running armor pen.

Shrump

12-20-2009

Cooldown & Magic Pen. All her Abilities are Magic based, but work from Attack Damage. I know when you kill a champion your abilities timer gets 15sec taken off of it... but for those time you REALLY need to shunpo the enemy right at the max range of your area of use who is running away, having not to wait that extra 1-2 sec for it to come up really helps... and Magic Pen is a no brainer... =) Armor pen does nothing for her except her auto attack.

Shrump

12-20-2009

here is my guide on Phys Kat

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...ums+for+a+Nerf

Generic Furry

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrump View Post
Cooldown & Magic Pen. All her Abilities are Magic based, but work from Attack Damage. I know when you kill a champion your abilities timer gets 15sec taken off of it... but for those time you REALLY need to shunpo the enemy right at the max range of your area of use who is running away, having not to wait that extra 1-2 sec for it to come up really helps... and Magic Pen is a no brainer... =) Armor pen does nothing for her except her auto attack.
Which is the vast majority of my damage, to be honest Death Lotus is a pretty underwhelming skill.

Shrump

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estidel View Post
Which is the vast majority of my damage, to be honest Death Lotus is a pretty underwhelming skill.
You than dont understand how she works & find a new champion to play with...

Generic Furry

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrump View Post
You than dont understand how she works & find a new champion to play with...
I USE Death Lotus, it just strikes me as a pretty poor ability since it pretty much does less than the auto attack of basically every other champion, Kat's damage is atrocious and she makes up for it in mobility and being able to hit for decent damage at range for a melee. By endgame even by YOUR build you will probably in all honesty be normal attacking for more damage than a full duration death lotus.

Edit: Also, word to the wise you're not lifestealing off of your death lotus damage so all of those bloodthirsters really aren't doing much for you if you're just obsessed with going in and blowing ulti. The extra attack from them isn't really worth mentioning since there are more efficient options to get that same attack.

Shrump

12-20-2009

Nope.... My damage output from Auto Attack is MAYBE <10% of my total damage in a game. I can normally always get double & triple kills with a full death lotus... gottan 2 or 3 quad kills... still want that penta kill... all from full duration Death Lotus in middle of a team fight. You never jump into a team fight right away... gotta wait 2 sec before jumping in... than you can be free of being hit by disables and rape the other teams face... Her ulti will throw out about 8-12 Daggers for enemy at lvl3 of the skill... only takes 3 sec do the full thing... thats about 400-500 damager PER dagger & you are hitting 3 champions at at a time.

My total physical damage at the end of a game (Auto attack) is like 4k-ish. Magic damage is around 400k-ish

Ubarax

12-20-2009

CD reduction and Magic Pen is definitely the way to go. Tanks feel like butter in my Death Lotus. I actually started a Kat guide, but Shrump pretty much uses the same exact build I do. I just vary slightly by using Leviathon and magic pen boots. Haven't actually tried the void staff myself, but I might give it a shot some game.

Reidan

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estidel View Post
I USE Death Lotus, it just strikes me as a pretty poor ability since it pretty much does less than the auto attack of basically every other champion, Kat's damage is atrocious and she makes up for it in mobility and being able to hit for decent damage at range for a melee. By endgame even by YOUR build you will probably in all honesty be normal attacking for more damage than a full duration death lotus.

Edit: Also, word to the wise you're not lifestealing off of your death lotus damage so all of those bloodthirsters really aren't doing much for you if you're just obsessed with going in and blowing ulti. The extra attack from them isn't really worth mentioning since there are more efficient options to get that same attack.
did you even read what you posted? bloodthirster is the largest increase to death lotus you can get from an item, unless you have like 5 and are comparing them to a magic pen item

Gandalf 007

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidan View Post
did you even read what you posted? bloodthirster is the largest increase to death lotus you can get from an item, unless you have like 5 and are comparing them to a magic pen item
There's an ongoing debate about whether it's better to simply save the money and use it to stack BF swords which are more far more cost effective for AD than bloodthirster unless you can get (and keep) the bloodthirster fully charged.

The flip side to the argument is that 1-2 bloodthirsters give Kat great staying power while laning and pushing, and without the lifesteal for longevity Kat has to spend extra money on health pots, or extra time blue pilling back to base when she otherwise would not have.

I have not seen anyone conclusively say one way or the other that one is better. I'll usually start with a BF sword, and depending on how frequently I'm dying (usually I put up great K/D ratios with Kat), then I'll upgrade it if I don't see myself dying in the near future.

When it comes to the original rune question, the best suggestion is really just to look up Furor's profile, and copy-> paste his runebook. If I remember right, he does go with magic pen in reds, I think dodge in yellows, and cd reduction in blues. I forget which his quints were, but I think health or dodge (at work and can't check atm).

edit: and yeah, katarina IS lotus. It defines her. It is her saving grace, her one purpose. For anyone to say that lotus is underwhelming or not a significant source of damage, something must be going wrong.