Tanks: What is your deal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aemon Darkstar

12-09-2010

Tanks often don't initiate in solo queue because solo queue people are ******bags. Shen is my main, and I have honestly lost count of the number of times I've initiated straight into the enemy carry, only to get gangbanged because my ******ed team just sat around in the bush or ran, and this was AFTER I pinged like 50 times to get their attention, or said "googogogo" in chat.
At least with Shen, I can often jump into teamfights with my ulti. People who play other tanks have to deal with this **** a lot more than me.
So before asking tanks to tank, ask the carries to do their ****ing jobs instead of being chicken ****.

Mystfyre

12-09-2010

I'll initiate when I'm good and ready.

coolcow6

12-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystfyre View Post
I'll initiate when I'm good and ready.
This is the way i was too. I've been maining rammus for the last 5-6 months and when i started i would play with my brother who was 7-8 lvls higher than me. This being said, i learned fast, but while just starting, i wasn't used to playing games like this and i wasnt used to being the tank who had to initiate and soak the damage.

So after a little bit, i learned to initiate when we were in a good position, and it really helped when i learned the PB + Flash combo.

While starting out ppl are still learning when the right time is to initiate.

Firu

12-09-2010

I main mostly tank heroes and I am as guilty of this at times as most tanks but there are definite reasons. This is just from my personal experience but:

• Tanks get a lot of hell from raging teammates if they die. Whether these are legit deaths, deaths resulting from the tank being stupid, or deaths because the DPS/carries ran away from other team instead of fighting - it doesn't matter.
  • A good tank on a good team doesn't die often but a good tank on a bad team does. As does a bad tank on a bad team and a bad tank on a good team. Basically the tank is always yelled at. Most people don't like being yelled at for dying so they'd rather play it safe an not initiate.
  • People worry about their stats. As I said, there are more scenarios where a tank will die (given team skill level) then not and people are very precious with their K/D/A ratios. Tanks shouldn't be, but most still are.
  • Tanks suffer as much as carries from anti-snowballing (doing bad in the beginning results in doing much worse in the end). Like carries who need kills for gold and items, tanks need to get assists to make some money to purchase their own items. Tanks who constantly die and whose teammates are not getting kills (and in turn giving tank assists) means that the tank will not have good items to tank an opposing team whose farming well. Rich get richer and poor get poorer. This then goes to tanks dying more and getting yelled at more.

In summary: Tanks, like any other players, hate getting yelled at. However, unlike AP/AD damage dealers, it is much harder for a tank to hide their deaths with the occasional kill. This means tanks get raged on when they initiate and die. Thus, tanks no longer initiate to prevent getting yelled at.

Basically, its not just a "single game" reason why tanks don't initiate but a form of behavior developed over time thanks to the generally hostile atmosphere of many players in the game.

Gunflame

12-09-2010

Im galio and I always initiate... but at least galio does damage and he can kill a badly positioned squishy.

Villiroth

12-09-2010

#1 reason I dont play tanks, whenever I do and I initiate no one follows me. So I end up dieing and its 4v5 at the tower.

Frony Boom

12-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firu View Post
A good tank on a good team doesn't die often but a good tank on a bad team does.

^This.

FailyMcSadPants

12-09-2010

First of all scrub scrub, with your 100 wins and 150 losses, TANKS in solo que suck at tanking, because THEY ****IN KNOW the team wont commit if they do.

I ONLY tank in premade, where in vent we coordinate our initiations and stompings, but in solo que, you see it all the time the TANK runs in, MAYBE one of his carrys comes in, and the other 3 are ****in peaced, killin dragon, using there ult on minions, what have you.

Your mad at tanks? Be mad at ****ty carries.

Ebonclaw

12-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neokenfu View Post
KK Troll, I'm not a tank....
This isn't WoW, you're not stuck with your choice for the next year. How many champs ARE you proficient in, anyways?

If you are so savvy in the ways of tanking, you should start playing them, and see how rewarding it is, at your Elo (at least, the Elo I must assume you subsist at, based on your posts).