Why do Carries have more base health then Tanks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

12-19-2009

I'd really really like to know this.

Last game, I started paying attention to my health compared to my teammates, none of us took items that boosted +health, I stuck with just Armor because we were getting stomped anyway, and they all went for damage items.

At the start of the game, Trynd had more health then Malphite, as well as more armor, however, I barely had more health then Nidalee.

By level 10, Nidalee had 200 more health then my Malphite, and Yi had 400 more health, despite neither of them having any sort of items, and I know the Nidalee didn't have any + health runes.

By level 15, Nidalee had 500 more health then me, and Yi had nearly 700, although he did have a Phage by this point.

So uh, why do Carries need that much health? Should oh, I dunno, Armor based characters like Rammus or Malphite just possibly get more health per level then people whose job it is is to be a suicide bomber?

Just a thought.

*edit* This is not just Malphite, this is Rammus, Amumu, Alistar, etc, basically all tanks for some strange reason have a much lower health per level gain then that of Yi, Jax, Nidalee, and all the other people whose job it is to die horribly but hopefully get a kill off in the process.

Without a Name

12-20-2009

Malphite is no Tank. Rammus tanks with his armor not with his health and Alistar gets +114 health per lvl that's more than the carries get.

But overall yes, tanks should get more health advantage over the others in my opinion

SlyGoat

12-20-2009

Malphite isn't a tank? lol

I agree with the OP

Amethyzt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post

I agree with the OP

nop, he is a tough carry, but 99% of people build him as a tank

EchoRex

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post

I agree with the OP
Malphite's armor scaling was changed so he wasn't next to unkillable early game, but yeah he isn't that tanky other than his passive, just like blitz.

@OP, don't be confused, most carries have the lowest starting hitpoints, which is why many players of those champion take +HP runes currently.

Monad

12-20-2009

Same with armor. Why does Teemo have more armor than Blitz?

EchoRex

12-20-2009

Same reason as Malphite. Combined with their passive at low levels it was ridiculous to have them also have high starting armor.

Saint Seraphiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monad View Post
Same with armor. Why does Teemo have more armor than Blitz?
Teemos fur is crafted with adamantium!

Lockedbob

12-20-2009

Because they already have tons of damage so they had to dump some extra stats somewhere right? So they chose more movespeed and more HP. It's balance why can`t you see it ?

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo7 View Post
Malphite's armor scaling was changed so he wasn't next to unkillable early game, but yeah he isn't that tanky other than his passive, just like blitz.

@OP, don't be confused, most carries have the lowest starting hitpoints, which is why many players of those champion take +HP runes currently.
Except this is without health runes.

Base health values, no runes at all, no items, Yi, Jax, and all the rest of them get more health per level, and are generally very close to the base health of most of the tanks, minus apparently Alistar.

So I ask again, why do the people who are not meant to survive, but rather kill and get killed just as fast get so much more health then the tanks? If Malphite is a carry, why is he not getting this absurd amount of health as well.

When you go a full game with Malphite, and assume he is a tank, and end at level 18 with about 1600 health, and a Yi with not a single health item, and no health runes ends at 2200 health, I think possibly something might be wrong with how characters gain health, and perhaps this should be switched around a bit, so the Yi has the 1600 health base, and the Malphite gets 2200.

And this is not just Malphite, Cho'gath with no feasts and no health items only gets to about 1800, while as I said, Yi has nearly 2200, how does that make sense at all? Yi should be getting killed left and right with no chance of surviving due to his low health, but its the Tanks who have to stack the stuff just to be able to survive.

And you say they need lower health and armor base just not to be overpowered, ok, I can accept that, Malphite would be a beast with more armor at the start, but how can you explain why Yi gets more health when he levels up then Malphite does, or Cho'gath does, leaving him with more health at max then either of them?