Season 4/Preseason

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IceyTea

09-02-2013

Where really does Season 4 start? I know Season 3 ends on Oct. 31 and then there will be a preseason so how long will the preseason be? When will Season 4 start? What if I play rank during the preseason and do my 10 provisionals again but will they count? In sports teams' records during the preseason does not count and is like a warm-up, is it the same case for this?

iamesauce

09-02-2013

preseason sure does count, fml.

source: had to massacre my way up from Bronze IV

Coulson

09-02-2013

Not sure when pre-season starts but your performance in Ranked during pre-season DOES carry over. I'd assume it is carried over in either of these ways:

1) Everything just carries over from pre-season to season (e.g. Silver III in pre-season, still Silver III in season)
2) The final MMR and/or division is recorded, everything gets reset, placement is affected by the final MMR and/or division in pre-season.

So yeah, don't troll around in Ranked during pre-season.

IceyTea

09-03-2013

Then why would they make a preseason and not just go on with Season 4 right after?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

09-03-2013

At least to my understanding, the difference from pre-season and seasonal stuff is largely the competitive circuit. During the pre-season, they don't have any tournaments/etc.

This gives them time to deal with balancing challenges resulting from their 'bigger changes' they make between seasons (new masteries/summoner spells/etc) without impacting the competitive circuit. (Otherwise there wouldn't really be a time they could efficiently implement these changes.)

Brisket451

09-03-2013

So when season 4 starts will the whole meta change will an ADC have to go mid or something crazy.

Cavo

09-03-2013

Season 4 will start sometime in February 2014. The preseason will begin not all that long after season 3 ends, so there will be a fairly lengthy amount of time to play during the preseason. Season 3 preseason had the old elo system in place, so whatever rating you had got translated into a tier/division. Hopefully they'll do the same this season so the higher rated players can jump up without having to deal with promo series' two tiers under their skill level.

There will most likely be a significant meta shift for season 4 as there will likely be a large patch with a bunch of changes to items and gold values and of course champions. However, the solo queue meta for which roles go to which lanes are pretty set, and will most likely not change.

IceyTea

09-03-2013

Season 4 starting in Feb. 2014? Which means the preseason will be 4 months long, doesn't sound right.

Cant Blind This

09-03-2013

The preseason is usualy a few months long, I'd say atleast 2 months

Coulson

09-03-2013

Pre-seasons have always been long to ensure Riot can make the balance changes and let those changes really sink in. Otherwise it will just mess up the pro-scene with so many changes and imbalances.

Having said that, it is VERY unlikely Season 4 will hit February 2014. Riot has kept pre-seasons reasonably short aside from Season 1 pre-season (all information from LoL wikia):
Season 1 pre-season - November 20, 2009 ~ July 13, 2010
Season 2 pre-season - September 14, 2011 ~ on November 22, 2011
Season 3 pre-season - November 20, 2012 ~ January 29, 2013

So, February would be like the worst case scenario for Riot since that's double the length of past two pre-seasons.