Veigar's Ult

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yenn

12-19-2009

While it's really useful against casters (though the cooldown is kind of long), I get into _a lot_ of games where the whole other team is tanks/melee and they all have either no or very little mana. Which makes Veigar's ult barely better than Baleful Strike.

A change to make it less ****py against non-magic champions (which are much more common in matches than magic champions) would be really nice.

EDIT: Because idiocy runs rampant here, I'm talking about it being barely better than Baleful during the 70% of the game before you have some stupidly high amount of AP.

Pieceofcandy

12-19-2009

What do you propose to be done?

EchoRex

12-19-2009

I'm not exactly sure how you arrived to the fact that it is **** against tanks, even a tank without items adding to mana will have ~1000, many a good bit more, mana late game. It is better than Baleful from rank one, excepting recast and cost, which is the only thing you can refer to to reach that conclusion.

The only thing that the ultimate is weak against are absolutely no mana champions, of which there are three, of over forty.

Don't expect to be able to rip half of every single champion's hit points off, doing so is just rampant idiocy.

Yenn

12-19-2009

Maybe a different effect if the champion's mana is under a certain amount?

Another problem is that the champions with low mana are also the ones with huge pools of health. Against these champions, Burst's damage in terms of max health is ridiculously low for such a long cooldown.

Echo7: Please keep posting without reading, you're really good at it.

Pieceofcandy

12-19-2009

You can already pretty much rip tanks pretty hard if you pop Bale/Ulti/Deathfire.

You should go around with the thought that the 25% extra damage is a bonus rather than the whole point of the ability.

I could see if the the damage dealt were based completely off the target champs mana.

JayceJa

12-19-2009

the anti-mages ultimate is anti-mage and not as good against tanks?

obviously this must be fixed straight away

Yenn

12-19-2009

No Veigar I've seen gets Deathfire early in the game.

The problem is during the first 10-14 levels. Veigar's damage isn't high enough to blow them up or even be all that dangerous to tanks, and his Event Horizon isn't leveled high enough to get away reliably/land meteors. Though Veigar does big burst damage, champions like Yi and others with stuns can destroy him since his damage is limited by his Baleful cooldown, where as their damage isn't limited in any way.
Against these heroes, who pretty much all have low or no mana, he's even less dangerous because they take much less damage from Burst.

If you have enough points in Horizon to hold them in place long enough for a Meteor to land, your Meteor isn't leveled high enough to do big damage.
If you have enough points in Meteor to do big damage, your Horizon isn't leveled high enough to hold them in place long enough for Meteor to land.
If you can somehow get enough points for both early in the game, your Baleful isn't leveled and you're just bad.

Pieceofcandy

12-19-2009

He isn't a great early game champ, you should be spending this time upping your AP with Baleful and farming minion waves with Dark Matter.

A rank or two in Event would/should be taken to help assist/prevent ganks.

Late game when he's farmed and buffed up is when he starts to shine.

EchoRex

12-19-2009

Poor Yenn. I responded to exactly what you posted, just because its not commiseration with how your conclusion was wrong does not mean I didn't read your post.

As for Deathfire, it's usually grabbed right after I finish the Void Staff, making it the second non boots or regen item to be completed. It scales too well and gives too many stats that are needed on Veigar to think of not taking it quickly.

For Dark Matter, try casting it before you cast Event Horizon. This enables you to almost always catch your opponent with it without leveling Event Horizon more than Baleful/Dark Matter.

Xetal

12-19-2009

I think part of the problem is that mages might not be attractive enough as a class-role.