Help me understand Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

captainMadness

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlifter View Post
First off. I like this game a lot so take that as the general tone and take into account I just had 10 games ruined by this Yi guy.

how is he still not nerfed? He can easily take teams of people without any issue, just auto attacking.

I understand he can be countered, but not all games are premade and get organized in a fashion to counter this one champion. It's not likely that a team

There is no other champion that I've seen in my 100 games that can turn the tide of a game as well or fast as he can. I've been moments from winning when one pops out and ruins my whole team and then solos his way all the way to the Nexus and takes it in around 3-5 seconds.

What am I missing?

Yes you are correct in alll of those , however
if you notice most of the times Yi has like 10/7/3 Or something like this.
He kills a lot but also dies a lot. Which is meaningless
That is his weaknes , ood Yi players will always try no matter what not to die

Arishon

12-20-2009

well if you have alistar and any other champion yi is useless. I play him quite a bit, and stuns are the bane of yi. and you know just like any carry if you prevent them from getting items he's useless. same counters for twitch really cept for him you also have to buy oracle.

Phooferbar

12-20-2009

Teemo counters Yi easily. Blind makes Yi useless (save Alpha). Rammus with thorns can do a good job of keeping him busy too. Won't work solo... but Rammus should go with others anyway.

EchoRex

12-20-2009

Udyr can beat Yi to death pretty effectively also. Solo to boot!

LadyOfTheNight

12-20-2009

With my whole team fighting 1 yi in the last game i played he took on our entire team behind a turret. he killed us all and escaped because he was stealing health with no life steal items. He was the same level and had the same items as us.

EchoRex

12-20-2009

Are you sure you're familiar with all of the health steal items then? Did he have a helpful Taric, Nidalee, Soraka, or Alistar nearby? Did he have a Rally Flag and Heal?

This sounds like observer error, otherwise it would be some sort of exploit that was hitherto unknown.

Serif

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Network Ops Technician

12-20-2009

"Rock is overpowered. Paper is fine." - Scissors.

Yi is just like any other champion. He has his counters, and his strengths. He is a carry/squishy killer, where his weaknesses are tank type heroes with disables, such as Alistar, Rammus, and sometimes Malphite assuming he's any good. Jax is probably the strongest yi counter in the game right now with his dodge and stun response to yi's fast attack speed.

There is no real problem with yi, though I agree he needed the reduction from 12% double attack to 10%. The problem is the the current matchup structure/game mode. Currently it grabs 5 people, lets them pick their champions, then throws them against 5 people randomly. Something they are working on, that will make everything much much more fair and less of a **** shoot in regards to horrible matchups, is the draft system that most dota-like games have, where the game starts, then you take turns picking heroes to counter eachother.

In the meantime, things that help against yi is no playing a team of all carries. I can't tell you how often I see 5 man teams of carries that complain about getting completely trashed by yi. That's what he does. He eats carries. Teams need a balance of hero types to be effective. Learn to play other heroes and stop chain picking ashe and katarina because you can get easy kills on them. Learn to use a support hero and your wins will likely double/triple.

Milskidasith

12-20-2009

I play Yi a lot in pubs, and basically there's always a moment when Yi is ready to start ganking. It just... clicks. Usually, it's when I wind up doublekilling the enemies with highlander and lifesteal items.

Early game, Yi's pretty easy to counter. Harrass ranged, try to make him flee. Personally, due to Yi's mana problems and the fact that Alpha Strike gets so many last hits, I never take meditation until later, just because I actually get more out of last hitting than being able to safely whack an enemy champion once or twice. Just harrass the Yi and try to make sure he doesn't get too many last hits (frequently, I get double or triple everybody elses, and that is a lot of gold).

Here are the things you need to do against a Yi lategame:

Get a freaking executioner's calling. This slaughters Yi, because he can otherwise take absurd risks, crit you for 600, and heal the damage of two other champions. Reducing his lifesteal by a ton makes him almost as squishy as if he had none.

Focus the **** out of him. Always hit the Yi. If you all focus, you can generally kill a Yi off without letting him get a kill, or maybe only one if you don't have any hard stuns.

Never, EVER burn a stun on a yi you can't kill. Just don't do it. If you do, then he'll retreat, heal, and come back, while your stun is on cooldown (well, unless the stun recharges fast, in which case it's probably fine to harrass).

Never use any skill that brings Yi into melee range, ever, unless you have a lot of backup. For example, Amumu. If you bandage me and go into your ultimate, you *might* hurt me a bit, but, since you are a tank, you're going to get lifestolen so much it doesn't matter, and your 3% damage aura doesn't do much with my low base health. Tristana hitting Yi with rocket jump is another dumb move, because it doesn't slow me, but does let me kill you.

If Yi has a banshees veil, burn a slow on it, since those fail anyway. No sense wasting stuns on a Yi who's immune to one.

Be careful of Yi's who have a spellshield up, because... well, that's just cruel to the enemies if they don't have a lot of moves to waste on Yi.