Just a few questions,

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BMAN270

08-31-2013

Hi all, just a few quick question I am hoping everyone here can help me answer?

First, I am still REALLY new to LoL still and so I try to play bot games to learn new champs or try out free ones. (I would just play unranked but I donít want to ruin anyone elseís game if I played really terribly) But I am finding beginner bots are not a challenge much anymore as they tend to run away way too often (when they clearly have you beat). So how do I change them from beginner to something else?

Also, my favourite champs are Lissandra, Thresh, Nautilus and Udyr (My Sister in Law bought me over $100 worth of LoL cards for Christmas because she knew I was a gamer) but the issue I am running into with them is that people EXPECT me to play as a support with Thresh when I may want to play more of a tank or try a different build. (not to say that I donít play support) Or Jungle with Udyr or Nautilus when I might want to run top lane or even try Lissandra somewhere besides mid. I understand the META of the game, and I DO understand that meta is there for a reason, but I am having a hard time picturing the game being that ridged. Do champs HAVE to play specific lanes? Is this more important the higher level you get ect?

Lastly, to anyone who wants another team player who is open to suggestions, wants to work as a team player and is willing to fill whatever roll is needed please send me an invite! (I have skype)

BMAN270

Damned Scholar

08-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN270 View Post
First, I am still REALLY new to LoL still and so I try to play bot games to learn new champs or try out free ones. (I would just play unranked but I donít want to ruin anyone elseís game if I played really terribly) But I am finding beginner bots are not a challenge much anymore as they tend to run away way too often (when they clearly have you beat). So how do I change them from beginner to something else?
In the Co-Op vs. AI menu, you can select Intermediate bots right below Beginner bots. If you're making a custom game, the second drop-down on the bot's display changes the difficulty (you have to do this for each bot).

You should start playing against other people. Yes, there are individuals who will ***** at you for playing poorly, but playing poorly and studying your mistakes is the only way that you'll ever get good. Playing against human opponents is much more rewarding than playing against machines (even the Intermediate bots aren't exactly Deep Blue, and the bots always do things according to their AI, so they don't have the element of unpredictability you see in games with other people). If you're super-nervous, try pairing up with someone who is willing to go into a matchmade game with you and give you pointers.

Quote:
Also, my favourite champs are Lissandra, Thresh, Nautilus and Udyr
You've been playing with some moderately more difficult champs. That's good. The most difficult thing about playing is learning to control your champion. Everyone has different quirks, including some that aren't on the character sheets.

Quote:
but the issue I am running into with them is that people EXPECT me to play as a support with Thresh when I may want to play more of a tank or try a different build.
Thresh makes a wonderful tank. Not as tanky as some other tanks, but he has plenty of options. Even as a pure support, he still ends up a tank due to the fact that he doesn't need items to buff his armor and ability power.

Quote:
Or Jungle with Udyr or Nautilus when I might want to run top lane or even try Lissandra somewhere besides mid.
Lissandra has the damage potential to rule top lane, but you have to be able to stay away from the melee characters coming at you with their gap closers. She can also be a great support, with her AOE root and two slowing abilities, all three of which trigger her passive and let her sling more spells without worrying about mana as much.

Quote:
I understand the META of the game, and I DO understand that meta is there for a reason, but I am having a hard time picturing the game being that ridged. Do champs HAVE to play specific lanes? Is this more important the higher level you get ect?
It's not about specific champions. It's actually all about party composition, the dragon, and mid-lane. Teams are most efficient when their members can specialize for certain jobs. You need someone who can put out lots of punishment, someone who can take lots of punishment, an offensive ability user, a defensive/utility-focused ability user, and someone mobile to help out the rest of the team. Since the damage-dealer requires bigger items sooner and is vulnerable, it makes sense to pair them with the defensive/utility caster for protection. The dragon is an easy and valuable objective, so the two-man team goes down there to keep an eye on it. Your second major damage-doer (and this is a game that revolves around destroying things, so damage is important) is your offensive caster. You want this person in the center of things so that your artillery or assassin can be brought to bear on any front that might be failing, so you put that person in midlane. The highly mobile character roams the jungle, feeding off of the fourth gold stream and keeping the enemy on their toes. That leaves top and the tankier fellow as last pick, so they get each other.

Almost all of the champions can fit two roles very well. Some can fit three. A handful can rock four. Knowing when to be flexible and when to stick to the pattern is the most important part. Go play Thresh top or mid, if you want. Hell, even jungle, if you don't mind building items to cover for missing out on some of the minion souls (don't jungle as Thresh without some armor runes and CDR so that you can tank and spam Flay even before you get the blue buff; in the beginning of the game, the two buff monsters are strong enough to kill champions who aren't built right, and Thresh's starting armor sucks).

And don't buy runes until you hit level 20. It's not that far away. Only then will jungle Thresh be possible. If you want jungle Thresh, that is.

SZEFEN

Recruiter

08-31-2013

The above poster pretty much answered everything well. For builds and positions, I'd recommend reading guides about your champ to find out play styles and strategies that synergize.

I use guides linked from champ select.
http://www.championselect.net/champ/Janna
For example.

I'd recommend you ignore the "champion counters" as they are completely irrelevant in lower leagues but the site has useful links, information and discussion on how to play specific match ups.

My ing is SZEFEN, feel free to msg me if you have questions. I'd play but we'd get silver/gold leaguers in normals. I'd be up for a bot game maybe.

Damned Scholar

08-31-2013

I will semi-disagree with what SZEFEN said about counters. Don't ignore them, but don't take them too seriously. Glance over the list, see if you can find any common traits in the champions that are supposed to be good against whomever you're playing, then look back at your own champion and figure out where your weaknesses are. If you know your vulnerabilities, it's not as easy for another player to beat you just by counterpicking. Even if your strategy is, "Stay the Hell away from Yi", as is so often the case in lower levels (I'm just now learning how to handle him), it'll help you stay alive and in the game.

The worst thing you can do is panic because you grabbed Ashe (who has no good escape other than slowing arrows) and your opponent grabbed Ezreal (who is fantastic at chasing and can teleport) along with Flash and Exhaust, and you just know he's going to hunt you down. There are ways around everything.

BMAN270

08-31-2013

Thanks to everyone who answered and have given me advice. I'm going to continue to work at things. One question though, when I choose the difficulty option I only have the choice for beginner??? How do I unlock the other difficulties?

The Scyphozoa

08-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN270 View Post
Thanks to everyone who answered and have given me advice. I'm going to continue to work at things. One question though, when I choose the difficulty option I only have the choice for beginner??? How do I unlock the other difficulties?
Same. I can do intermediate bots in co-op games, but I can't get them in custom games.

Matthias9119

08-31-2013

AFAIK you can only get 'beginner' bots in Custom games.

Damned Scholar

08-31-2013

Huh. I just saw the drop-down and assumed there would be more than one option (I use custom games mostly for testing characters on the jungle, so I've never tried to seriously play against bots there, or I would have tried to set them intermediate and noticed).