Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Still a noob.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1 01

12-21-2009

I started playing LoL about a week or 2 ago, and even with my DotA experience, it was brutal in the beginning. However, it got better, and now, I'm having loads of fun. Here's some tips:

1. If you're new to any game, play very passively, and cautiously. Gradually learn from other players and from experience, and learn when to be more aggressive, and how aggressive you can get.

2. Don't tower dive. Wait until you know more about the game. It might be tempting to tower dive a 50 hp champion, but you never know how it will turn out.

2b. This can be used against other people as well. If you know how to bait, you could easily take down most full HP champions with the help of your tower at 1/4 hp.

3. If someone ganks you, don't come back all aggro and try to kill them. It might get you killed again, and put you back even further.

4. If you can't get last hits in a really aggressive lane, ask for a switch. From experience, most people ignore you when you ask, but it's worth a try anyways.

4b. If you can't switch, just stay in lane as long as possible, and stay at a reasonably safe hp level. Getting exp is better than nothing.

5. Try and look through the store for champions you might want. Aim to buy a 450 or 1350 IP champion. Playing champions you enjoy could vastly improve your game.

5b. Looking up guides is very helpful for the champion you're playing as well. However, if you are very new, and are without a general knowledge of the items, buying the recommended items at the top of the shop is always good.

Hope that helped!

Kooter Entruder

12-21-2009

Read this:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=14432

This is rather long, but well worth it. Funny as well.

The biggest thing I have found hardest to overcome is being too aggressive. Play all of the champs when you get a chance to and see what they do.

If you have someone better than you on your team, do what they do. Sounds simple, but it's not.

GL

Wulgreth

12-21-2009

Everyone is talking about being overly aggressive, which probably IS the biggest source of deaths. Myself included.

However, the OP stated that he wasn't getting a lot of early deaths so I doubt this is the case.

It may be just the opposite, especially when playing a tank. I have played with some teams who were the opposite, too timid. I have gotten frustrated, as a tank, once in a while, when I initiate and most of my team runs away. And this happens repeatedly with this team. Sure, I stop initiating, stop dying but we just get pushed back slowly until it's over.

Being overly aggressive = fast loss.
Being too afraid = slow, but certain, loss.

Teams I win with usually seem to have a sense of when we are going to counter attack and everyone is on the same page. The team seems to retreat together and they advance together, more or less. This wins, even when individual scores aren't great, at least at my current ELO, whatever that is.

RubyRawd

12-21-2009

Quote:
1 01:
I started playing LoL about a week or 2 ago, and even with my DotA experience, it was brutal in the beginning. However, it got better, and now, I'm having loads of fun. Here's some tips:

1. If you're new to any game, play very passively, and cautiously. Gradually learn from other players and from experience, and learn when to be more aggressive, and how aggressive you can get.

2. Don't tower dive. Wait until you know more about the game. It might be tempting to tower dive a 50 hp champion, but you never know how it will turn out.

2b. This can be used against other people as well. If you know how to bait, you could easily take down most full HP champions with the help of your tower at 1/4 hp.

3. If someone ganks you, don't come back all aggro and try to kill them. It might get you killed again, and put you back even further.

4. If you can't get last hits in a really aggressive lane, ask for a switch. From experience, most people ignore you when you ask, but it's worth a try anyways.

4b. If you can't switch, just stay in lane as long as possible, and stay at a reasonably safe hp level. Getting exp is better than nothing.

5. Try and look through the store for champions you might want. Aim to buy a 450 or 1350 IP champion. Playing champions you enjoy could vastly improve your game.

5b. Looking up guides is very helpful for the champion you're playing as well. However, if you are very new, and are without a general knowledge of the items, buying the recommended items at the top of the shop is always good.

Hope that helped!

Some great advice here.

I do have a hard time getting last hits in an aggressive lane but i learned how to be more aggressive to them at the start and tell my other partner who to focus on, that seems to work by keeping them away. I'm learning how to bait with towers, in the last game got 2 people that way.

End game I do get quite aggressive, my team hangs back and never pushes and it drives me crazy so I push. I am learning now I have to wait for them cause if I don't its a quick game over.

I have been trying to play heroes that aren't often played because I hate going into games and the 2 champions I know how to play 1/2 way are taken, its a huge buzz kill. Guides help alot for sure.

RubyRawd

12-21-2009

Quote:
Wulgreth:
Everyone is talking about being overly aggressive, which probably IS the biggest source of deaths. Myself included.

However, the OP stated that he wasn't getting a lot of early deaths so I doubt this is the case.

It may be just the opposite, especially when playing a tank. I have played with some teams who were the opposite, too timid. I have gotten frustrated, as a tank, once in a while, when I initiate and most of my team runs away. And this happens repeatedly with this team. Sure, I stop initiating, stop dying but we just get pushed back slowly until it's over.

Being overly aggressive = fast loss.
Being too afraid = slow, but certain, loss.

Teams I win with usually seem to have a sense of when we are going to counter attack and everyone is on the same page. The team seems to retreat together and they advance together, more or less. This wins, even when individual scores aren't great, at least at my current ELO, whatever that is.

I have worked on my aggressiveness. This has always been my bane but I am getting better at it. Patience. This last game we won purely with counterattacks hanging back till we wiped most of them and then pushed. It worked, they ended up giving up even though they had all our outter towers down and we only had one of theirs. Was pretty funny.

AFKray

12-21-2009

Best tips I can give you, especially as Nunu:

1) Catalyst--> Rod of Ages. It's an amazing item and Catalyst is arguably the best item in the game. Not only that it will keep you in your lane MUCH longer. This will allow you to get those levels. Ditch the philosopher's stone.

2) Second, utilize your passive as Nunu. When you have that up, be aggressive and iceblast them. Or use it to consume. Then practice your last hitting.

3) Zoning: if they are in the brush, stand to the other side of the lane. This way, they have to come out to get you allowing you to run.

4) Use your teammate. Talk to him, let him know what's up. Teamwork wins lanes. Nunu is a fantastic lane partner. Don't be afraid to talk and communicate. While most people will be annoying and immature, it's better to speak then remain silent.

5) Don't forget about the jungle. For Nunu, jungling is quite easy. Don't be afraid to grab a golem buff when its up. Consume helps this a lot, and the buff allows for lane domination with Iceblast spam.

6) As mentioned before, don't tower dive. But things to know, hostile attacks by enemy heroes in the vacinity of the tower draw its fire. It goes after the MOST RECENT command. Aka if you are with an ashe, and she hits the enemy and it targets her, and you immediately iceblast, that next attack is coming at you.

As far as items, Merc Treads + RoA will defnitely make you beefy enough to survive a bit better. Then just work on focusing whoever is your carry's target, while keeping them Blood Boil'ed at all times.

And a little protip for last hitting I like to tell Minnows: Melee enemy minions take 3 shots of your tower to die. After 2 shots, they have like 20 or so Hp. This means, count 2 shots and command an auto attack and you will get a last hit like 90% of the time. This is a great tool to use when you are getting pressured near your tower and farming is hard.

RubyRawd

12-21-2009

Quote:
Kooter Entruder:
Read this:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=14432

This is rather long, but well worth it. Funny as well.

The biggest thing I have found hardest to overcome is being too aggressive. Play all of the champs when you get a chance to and see what they do.

If you have someone better than you on your team, do what they do. Sounds simple, but it's not.

GL

haha that was a fun read. Im definitely better because I have been trying to play all the characters so that helps knowning and the ****talking was fun.

ForestCrunk

12-21-2009

When I play Nunu it is because my team needs a secondary tank. My rune page is caster oriented so it goes along with his stats. Plus he was the first hero I bought with ip!

Like AFKush said.. get RoA as fast as you can. Lich bane is unecessary with Nunu in my opinion and RoA gives you a bit of everything you need. Plus catalyst is a great item. After boots of swiftness my next item depends on what is needed for the team. My tanky Nunu typically has Banshees Veil/Frozen heart to spam the ice blast for infinity slow and then an ulti that can do 1500 damage without getting stunned. If the other team doesn't have a stun, forego banshees veil. Deathfire Grasp is good if none of your champs can get close enough to harm the tank... and you can always stack AP with abyssal sceptor/void staff/zhonya's ring etc.

My best advice to win games though is: PLAY PREMADES WITH VENT. With solo que you will lose a lot of the time because of the one guy that feeds. It's great if you want to try a new hero without looking like you suck in front of your friends but isn't that what practice is for? Ventrilo is infinity times better then typing and communication is key.

Go to the Looking For Group channel in the LoL client and invite people to a game. Use the Riot vent server. The info can be found here on this forum.

Never cross the river without a teamate/teamates unless your positive the enemy is on the other side of the map. You're going to get ganked.

BE AWARE. Look at your mini-map every 30 seconds. It takes a second and tells you so much important information. Where is the enemy? Can they possibly gank me? Can we gank them? Do I have an advantage in where I am on the map? Is it safe for my teamate to be pushing that lane by himself? Take control of the situation because your teamates WILL miss MIA calls and in my opinion... if you get ganked.. it's probably your fault. After about 10 minutes most people stop calling mia anyway. I find myself always announcing what I see on the mini-map to make sure my teamates are aware.
You'll feel like a LoL god when your able to call enemy moves before they happen.

There's a lot more to being a great player but experience with players better then you is what you need. Play pre-mades with vent, friend request the good players, talk to them, ask them for advice. Make LoL friends and family and you'll defiantly become a better player.
And don't be a afraid to remove people from your list.

Just my 2 cents

Bait

Recruiter

12-22-2009

you just need a noobercist. you pay them a few hundred dollars and they do a noobercism ritual for you.

then they tell you the secret of how to stop being a noob:

play better.

Vichar

12-22-2009

It took me a while to get used to this style of game. I used to play a game called SubSpace, and some of the things I learned there help here.

It's not intuitive because real life personal attributes don't translate well into the game. I think I'm coordinated and my reflexes are good, but these are much more of a factor in a FPS than a MOBA. The MOBA kind of game takes more thinking and teamwork, and ability to estimate like you're playing chess in real time. After all, DotA was a mod on Warcraft III, a real time strategy game.

What you really need is patience and an understanding of the game mechanics. You need to know how a fight will turn out before it starts. Example: You're Sivir in the woods by youself about to attack neutrals, and a ward you placed shows you Yi running by. You're on the same level. Do you try to jump Yi by yourself? You need to know how it will turn out before you make a decision like that. You need to know Yi's abilities, not just by reading them but from playing Yi yourself. Try winning practice games as each of the champions and you will begin to see their weaknesses. I know when I first started out, I had a tendency to see only a champion's strengths. This is why the forums are full of "OMG, Champion X is OP nerf nerf." I used to think that Ashe was ridiculously OP, and then I started playing Ashe. She is really squishy and her pure attack DPS is not as good as some of the other physical carries. Let Yi close the distance when your ult is on cool, and you are toast. Sion surprised me once in the woods. I thought I could kill a low health sion that was attacking the golem. I only needed to learn that mistake once. Sion can pop his ult and annihilate you by shielding himself and stealing your life. Same goes for Fiddle--Fiddle is fearsome if you don't do godly damage and you're 1v1 against him.

So what am I saying? Play all the champions as they come off rotation. Play practice games and don't be afraid to experiment. Have patience during the game--don't think "Oh I suck at this, this is no fun." You should think, "Wow, this game has a little bit of depth. I'm glad that skill differentiates in this game, because that makes it worth playing. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled and observe how the enemy owns me, so that I can analyze the mistakes I made later."