Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Still a noob.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RubyRawd

12-19-2009

I realize lots of people have played 100s more games than me and played lots of dota before.

I have read through the guides and strategies and I still find myself completely lacking in game.

I don't know if it is luck of the draw or what, but in my last 20ish games i have won 5. I end up with a lot of deaths, and they are usually at the end when the game is pretty much decided. My teammates always seem to do worse, with the exception of about 4 games where I died most.

Any other key ideas to read or go through to get better? I don't know if i always get steamrolled cause of a poor team or a good team or going against pre-mades or what. I always play solo and get stomped. Its just not fun.

Without a Name

12-19-2009

Wich champion do you usually play?

ZO KidKaiser

Recruiter

12-19-2009

yeah. i would also like to know which champion you play.
but if you and your team feels like you guys are losing. stick as a team,defend your base and push back. just do that back and forth and see what happens.

and on another note. it's best to stick as a team mid->late game because then you and your team can start pushing lanes or ganking the opposing team.

just my 2 cents.

gh0stship

12-19-2009

it takes time , it takes me about a year to master dota.
lol
and maybe a good teammate will help. i suggest you get some mate and start adding ppl up so that you can premade with them.

RubyRawd

12-19-2009

I usually roll with Nunu. If not Nunu, i go with Amumu or Ashe.

Nunu, i usually do well in the beginning but near the end of the game i do very poor against tanks or other mage type characters because I cannot inflict enough damage. I usually go regrowth --> philosopher then boots, sheen --> lich bane boots --> 20 magic ones then rod of ages.

I use the guides on here for Amumu. I never do as well with this guy but i like its play style. Survivability but the ability to do great aoe for the big fights. I get regrowth then a chalice then make warmogs armor then make sunfire capes. At the end i get maybe blasting staff or rod of ages.

Sometimes I go for Ashe, I am good at harrassing but not killing, not mastered that touch. I usually go philosopher first, then zerker boots then infedge then executioners then phatom.

Most of my friends were hardcore dota guys and they are all level 30 by now. If i premade with them, usually we do alright but I get stomped pretty often.

RubyRawd

12-20-2009

No advice for the minnow?

Exantius

12-20-2009

Early game, try not to take unnecessary damage and focus on getting the last hit on creeps. Coordinate well with your lane partner to go for early kills if you think you can pull it off, otherwise just focus on farming and staying alive.

Mid/Late game is all about coordination within the team.

Probably the steepest part about the learning curve is understanding what every champion can do.

Dustinsanity

12-20-2009

I'm on the same page RubyRawd. My current record is 57/101, which I think is terrible. I don't know if its from poor decision-making, the desire to harass with creeps all around, or the lust for the quick kill, but I realized that what I do simply doesn't work most of the time. Sometimes I'll just steamroll through a lane and take out 2 turrets, 4 players, and 60 creeps in like 4 minutes, but that rarely happens. Most of the time I'm off trynna farm cuz I been ganked so many times I can't keep up with the other players, but that keeps leading me to more ganks. I just don't understand it. After over 150 games, you'd think I'd learn something by now. I'm so terrible, I've made another account so I don't have to look at my embarrassing win/lose ratio. I know that's ridiculous, and it wastes bandwidth, but it made me get better with Amumu, my my new fav champion. I finally got a 4 victory winning streak, but I got pwned into the ground by a Teemo/Tryndamere lane, partnered with Nidalee. That game, we lost without having knocked down a single turret! Pathetic! So I outcry with you among the noobs. What are we doing wrong?

Fbsunny

12-21-2009

when you play an ap char, you should never have lich bane be your first ap item, because the passive is wasted. When you have lich bane with only 80ap it is not really much better then having sheen. For this reason you should get some other ap item, maybe rod of ages first, then upgrade your sheen to a lich bane.

also when playing amumu i much prefer to go meki pendant->chalice then boots then sunfire cape, boots-> mr boots, then sunfire cape, then abysall scepter this will give you over 100 of both mr and ar and make you do more damage then if you get warmogs first, getting that first sunfire cape also allows you to farm creeps incredibly well, taking out a full wave in about 3s when you have despair and tantrum going

also if you die a lot that means you are not paying attention to your mini map enough and you are being overly aggressive. if it seems like a game is not going your way, and you do not see anyone in either of the other two lanes sometimes it is better to tower hug and lose a bit of experience, because if you get ganked you will not only lose more experience, you will also be feeding them

Eggs

Recruiter

12-21-2009

I see a lot of noobie deaths from doing things of inexperience. The first I see that I always go why the hell...is scouting the brush in the beginning if you suspect enemies in it. Let them come to you. You may still die, but you have a much better shot than walking into the brush and then having to run.

Another common mistake I see with noobs is overpursuit. A lot of people get so bloodthirsty that they ignore common sense and instinct. All of a sudden another hero pops and boom...QQing saying, "WTF! Bull****! I had him!" If you are alone in the middle, always play defensively and assume ganks are coming your way.

I see this all the time...people losing their cool in battle and starting to run. This is how it works...fight starts 5vs5...Tank gets low on life. Two heroes bail out. Now 3vs5. Tank dies. Now 2vs5. Other 2 quickly get pounded into submission. One of the two heroes who ran in the beginning dies. It is now normally 4 deaths to 1. Remember this...when you run, unless you are singed or some hero with sunfire, you are not doing damage. You are effectively negating your output. The people pursuing you are doing damage to you...

I see games determined early when a good teamworking team goes into a 5 man gank shell around level 10 and starts piling up kills. Not much you can do about that.

Towerdiving...ugh...Goes along with overpursuit.

Running into "Baron" trap. Ping...Ping...they are doing baron!!! Runs into a 5 vs 1 before they baron. It is now 4vs5. Can't stop them getting baron.