Evelynn is overpowered... (handle with care)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pwndemonium

12-19-2009

Ah ha ha ha ha ha oh ehe ha oh he ha haha, and I thought my jokes were bad... (maybe I just should start playing Shaco)

Let's face it, as fun as her gameplay can be (spamming Q is so awesome! Well on a more serious note it get's fun to me when the enemy adapts to you), she lacks abilities related to teamplay (be careful this may be misleading, like the title).

Her damage really is more than fine, but she hardly can do anything in lategame, when champions team up to finally win the game. Stacking HP and MR are a pain for her, but that at least prevents from stacking damage (actually it doesn't but more champions suffer in that regard). Oracle Elixirs and Wards may be an issue, and prevent her from striking when it would be quite favourable, but there are still opportunities, which in my eyes, make her gameplay so interesting (instead of blasting PuGs to oblivion with the lizard buff and Twitch's ultimate). Her main issue is just the lack of teamplay she can contribute. There isn't even a slight chance to turn the favour of a greater battle (involving more than 4 champions) in higher tiers.

So what to do? That's what this thread can be all about... any ideas? Currently she just doesn't have a real place in high tier games. The second the team communicates and knows how to place wards (along with grouping of course) it's over. Not to forget that prowling around 5 people while your own 4 teammates just hope to blast at least one of them to oblivion isn't an advantage. Even if you try to help, you can be sent quite fast to your spawn, as it would be quite odd not to switch to a target which can rip most (well let's say some) champions to shreds.
Changing her role would be too much to ask, she dishes out single target damage which is fine, but that's exactly what she can't do against a well played team. And contributing nothing equals being useless to your team.

Her passive is just downright terrible. Change it somehow to make her a more unattractive target in group battles... like raising armor/magic res the more enemy champions are nearby (pick one, or even two!). There are loads of possibilities, could be even a reduction of any CC the more champions are present.
She obviously shouldn't be able to rape whole groups because of it, but she should have at least a possibility to survive the encounter when retreating/charging instead of switching to B/W in 2 seconds.
Naming it Subtlety would make sense then btw.

Hate Spike really can save the day, but if there are minions and other champions around it's too unrealiable (which just happens a lot in lategame). An assassin should have precise attacks instead of spamming purple lightning in all directions hinting at being a member from the A-Team. Give it a priority over targets which are wounded for instance (and no, because of lag and god knows for whatever reason you can't hug a certain target all the time =P). A skillshot would be quite fine too, but this is unlikely, as this seems to interfere with the design decision. Just add some form of control over it.

Ravage is pretty much the only ability which gives a subtle hint if the player behind Evelynn knows what he's doing. No idea what to change here, but maybe increase the duration from the debuff? ;x
Well no, I guess ravage is more than fine heh...

And the ultimate maybe should trigger too when turrets get destroyed... or boss monsters. Meh, that's actually in need of some creativity i guess. Currently it really can be a live saver (most notably when it comes to turret diving), but I'm afraid it just needs another purpose. In group play you hardly get it popping up when you are about to die, just to crash the enemy's dinner party... I'd be so delighted if this would happen more often...

So long, thanks for reading this wall of text, I didn't prepare anything... but if you have something to add feel free to do so, giving the devs some vision in that sinister part of the game can't hurt I guess. Flaming is fine too... bumps the topic.

On a sidenote it can't be intended to release new heroes, before the exisiting ones don't have a real purpose. Not to forget the philosophy when it comes to balancing... why the hell did you just increase every single stat of Udyr? Do that with Evelynn too... =P

Pwnography101

12-19-2009

Eve is far from useless at any junction of the game if played right. Early-mid she is the nuke, but so much more than that she is a team leader. She finds the heroes hiding in the bushes, patiently waits in the just the right moment to stun a hero just long enough for your teammate to steal the kill. I rarely go over 10 kills with Eve but I almost always have the most assists in a game.

It takes knowledge, patience, and an uncanny sense of timing to pull Eve off properly in the late game. When the tanks are too tanky to nuke and the oracle elixers price is too cheap not to buy her entire strategy changes. But really by this time you should have fed the rest of your team more than enough kills for them to pick up any kind of slack she's dropping by being vulnerable.

The hero doesn't need to be changed at all, hate spike being precise is unbalanced. Early to mid game when you pop out and Ravage anything but a tank they're at half life or less and running away, throw her ulti up and run beside them spamming hate spike as they leave the creeps behind. Big group situations keep an exhaust handy, pop out with a stun on the tank, exhaust the carry that is NOT Yi, throw her ulti up and spam q while running in circles to get away from the damage. Your competant team should be able to utilize that momentary advantage to dissolve anykind of unity that originally portrayed.

Early to mid true site is nothing more than an obstacle, make them pay for spending their gold. Mark them to die, hunt them down, they're expecting you to fear their oracle elixer, not set up a 5v1 gank to make them spend more gold to get that same feeling of security. Invisability is a single one of her many utlities but it doesn't make the character. If your lane buys vision real early switch lanes sneakily and get a gank. Make them scramble, the one thing Evelynn can do better than any other hero is **** with a teams head, if played annoyingly enough the opposite team will start doing everything in their power to stop her while your teammates grow stronger.

OctopusDropkick

12-19-2009

Eve really needs a look over.

1) She is squishy as hell and is entirely melee based. Yet she has no escape mechanism, unlike Shaco. This is a big sour point for her and should possibly be addressed. Her stealth skill possibly needs to be altered, turning it into skill shot that dashes Eve kind of like Corki, save not an exact duplicate of course. Different ranges, cooldowns, and AOE widths. And no damage either, instead she'll stun the first Champion she passes through. This'll give her a chance to quickly pull out of getting targeted at least once.

2) Hate spike is not ideal. She's all about focusing upon a singular target, why have it affect two? Can we modify it to just one while upping damage on it slightly? It'll make up for the raw damage lost for changing Ravage, see bellow.

3) Ravage's debuff component and only useful team attack synergy skill is really lackluster. Debuffing is useful for helping a team focus on a primary target, but Eve's debuff is pitiful compared to say Nidalee's massive 50% AR / MR AOE trap debuff. Can we see Ravage's damage possibly lowered slightly and in return add in a % reduction component along with keeping a minimal static debuff. Can we also see the duration on the debuff increased?

4) With the change to Eve's stealth, we can modify Eve's ult to provide a permanent stealth duration upon when the ult runs out. (With same rules applies for delaying the stealth upon taking damage)

SlyGoat

12-19-2009

Pull a Ryze; with her ult active, Hate Spike bounces further and to more targets so she can be useful in a teamfight. Hero fixed.

DevilsAdvocate

12-19-2009

Try on a physical build instead of stacking AP and see if you feel any tougher late game. You're only going to do damage with her in one of two ways: Either you catch the enemy completely off guard, or you overpower him. It's possible to overpower an enemy with your ultimate if you're built for DPS instead of Ability Power (Or spell damage? What's the colloquial terminology now?). Neither build is viable when your opponents are stacked together in a team fight and their tank has an oracle elixer on him, but popping your ulti and charging in with your triforce triggering off every third attack can do more damage than you might suspect. As long as she can finish off one opponent she'll get her ultimate back along with a huge chunk of health and mana... Of course, that's only if you can actually get in without getting instagibbed.

PuppetSoul

12-19-2009

Wards are pretty useless against Eve, because she should be packing a Oracle specifically to counterward. That taxes the enemy team, and gives you map control.

Granted, it's not the same kind of lolmapdomination that CM gives. But CM is overpowered because of it (CM merely existing in a game prevents solo pushing, or Eve/Twitch wandering ganks).

Pwndemonium

12-20-2009

Of course they are useless in lategame, but you need to advance to it in some way. The second two lanes are planted with these things at around lvel 7 you have difficulties harassing champions.
Everyone states she's a nuke in midgame, which is true in some cases, but you can't rely on your whole team just to give you some distraction before rushing in with your ultimate. Your team needs XP and gold too...

edit: Yes, you pretty much rape inexperienced players...

Deinbeck

12-20-2009

Eve is really really difficult to play against anyone competent.

She does mop the floor with nubs and noobs alike, but try playing her against anyone with any working braincells, and she becomes useless pretty quickly.

Shaco can escape, he isn't too stealth dependant, Twitch doesn't need to get up your ass to bbq you. Oracles and wards will only shut down his solo gank game, but he can still tap some ass in team fights thx to his ult. Evelyn HAS to solo gank, that's about all she can do. Unfortunately TF does this far more competently, and a few consumables won't render him useless.

If her ult gave her a few seconds of undetectable stealth along with everything else, you could still drop bombs on squishies in team fights I guess. The problem is, she would DOMINATE in low skill games even more so than she does now.

Hearteater

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2009

I think I covered most of my Eve concerns and suggestions here. I'm really hoping she gets a few tweaks because I enjoy playing her when she works, but I've had teams totally shut me down. Cho pre-defense nerf with Oracles all game (he had 0 deaths) made one game a nightmare, and they weren't premade, Cho was just really good and the champion they all centered around in team fights. At this point I don't pick Evelynn in serious games because I'm much more likely to get shut down than do amazing.

Deathandecay

12-26-2009

When you learn how to break Eve... you will all see the errors in this page.