Do you see what I see? (Brush & Fog of War Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Squippit

08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerbIade View Post
What about Teemo? Every time someone steps on a shroom, will Teemo be revealed for a few seconds?
Nah, not traps. It'd be stupid for Teemo/Cait/Heimer/Nid/Shaco to be revealed across the map because you walked over their traps. I dunno about things that detonate like Lux's Lucent Singularity, Gragas's exploding beer barrel things, and Zigg's explosive charges... Im not really sure how far they can get away before they go off... Probably shouldnt make those reveal...

My reasoning for the traps is that you would set a trap secretly in anticipation for someone to walk over it unsuspecting later, after you were long gone in some cases. Thus, the source of the trap would be long gone and you wouldn't be able to tell where the attack came from, unlike a skillshot where the source of the ability is near by.

Similarly, I dont think global ults reveal across the map because it's such a great distance you cant tell where the attack came from, and thus, the attacker is not revealed.

Artyom Vexis

08-26-2013

Imo; I think the bush is fine as it is. As champions like Rengar /thrive/ off the bush/FoW. And I've seen some pretty amazing plays done with a bush, but having anything aggressive revealing you in a bush, could lead to some pretty hardcore and simplistic counter-plays, which could essentially ruin the 'Bush Warfare' that I've seen, and grown to love.

If you were to make all aggressive actions reveal, then the game would just get more bland. :/

Urdnot Entar

08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyahda View Post
Instead of worrying with these little changes, how about fixing the long standing (6 months+?) bug of champions just appearing out of the fog of war and then reappearing somewhere else. It's a big ****ing problem and it bothers me that Riot doesn't even acknowledge it's existence.
Oh man, there are piles of huge bugs that have been around for months or years. It's pretty sad.
See: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=2607604 - that's one big list, but there are a lot more.

de Dust

08-26-2013

Agreed.

Self-target abilities and buffs (such as GP's Raise Morale or Nidalee's heal) should not reveal, but offensive abilities (like Nid's spear) should definitely reveal

PHoToS999

08-26-2013

You forgot Singed's poison trail. It doesn't even lead into the brush, it just disappears.

I would go for any offensive action revealing a person in the brush. It'd also be nice for aa's to reveal someone in the brush for a very short instance.

Yakaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Software Engineer

08-26-2013
2 of 23 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh No Bananas View Post
Do you have a BGG account?, I'd love to know more of what style of game you like, worker placement, bidding...?
No BGG account, sorry, but I was a partner in a game store a while back; it was a bad idea -- bought way more games for myself than I should've :P

For everyone else I'll reply on the vision topic soon. A lot of thoughts to read through!

Yakaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Software Engineer

08-26-2013
3 of 23 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Tog View Post
Skillshots and ground-targeted abilities would require a bunch of new exceptions to a general rule about aggressive actions revealing, I think.

If Nidalee throws a spear at her Nexus when the game starts, that clearly shouldn't reveal her.
Nidalee sneakily dropping a trap into the bush near red also clearly shouldn't reveal her.
Hey Blaine, just want to clarify by 'reveal' I mean "will not be hidden by brush", not something like the reveal of a Caitlyn Snap Trap I can see how my wording could make that point confusing.

MandyMemory

08-26-2013

What if hitting a skillshot showed a brief flash of where you were when you shot it (in a ghostly fashion) instead of not being revealed at all or being revealed completely.

Nunu's ult should probably show the circle even if he's in the bush, but not reveal him. That way it would behave like other skill shots.

ShipSterns

08-26-2013

Things that will result in vision as soon as you are near the champion in question such as a successful blitz grab should not provide vision until you are pulled into the bush with him or over the wall.

But the way Blitz works currently is that his grab does damage at the moment of impact, not after the completion of the pull, so that kinda screws things up. If he didn't cause any damage than my first statement could be set in stone.

As for what you are asking in relation to damaging abilities causing vision of the attacker... Is this what you wanted to discuss?

Picc

08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Hey Blaine, just want to clarify by 'reveal' I mean "will not be hidden by brush", not something like the reveal of a Caitlyn Snap Trap I can see how my wording could make that point confusing.
Just an add on, I think that we should clarify that these aggresive moments that reveal you have to be present in the enemies fog of war, so you could place traps in your bush, or in unseen territory.

I also want to suggest the idea that if you get revealed, it should just be you being the revealee, nothing else. This would introduce a mechanic towards baiting people into 1 v 5's etc :3