Garen: What's the deal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killerjacky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2010

Funny Garen thread .
Someone said building ghostblade is bad for him. I mainly play tank Garen so I rarely build it, but damage, armor pen and crits are exactly what you need for spinning harder, also the CDR is great for your skills.
Although courage got nerfed, it still very awesome in team fight and tower diving with proper tank build, leveling up E>W>R>Q(with1point added to Q before lv6) could give you good lane ability. Pick flash and ghost, wait their squishy champ in the bush, flash in, silent him, spin him then ult, you would have a great chance for getting a kill.
Btw, sunfire stacking Garen is a fail build, make 1, most 2 is ok, full sunfire stacks only good have clearing minions and jungling, coz by the time you could pick 5 sunfire but not yet GG, their mage could got enough AP to kill you; even the DPS could have enough damage to kill you too, 225 extra armor is not really a big deal to DPS if you don't have a thronmail, they could kill you much faster than you burn, even worse, you extra armor and 2250extra hp is nothing in front of LastWhisper and Bloodrazor.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2010

Garen's "deal" is that his early game is monstrous but his late game is pathetic. He needs to have his scaling fixed so that he's more managable early game while being something more than an executioner late. Also, his other "deal" is that enemies love to face-check brush. The first rule of brush is: Garen is in there.

Most people build a tank Garen because his late game sucks and he needs to survive to put out spins/Sunfire burn/Ult something. I usually build him with whatever boots I need for that game, a single Sunfire, FoN, Randuins, and whatever I feel like from there. Good dps options for those spots are Ghostblade and Infinity Edge if you really want a slightly harder-hitting spin and auto-attacks that are a bit less than laughable.

Doriantv

12-06-2010

Garen's "deal" is that Riot designed him as the ultimate beginner character. He has solid base damage and defensive stats, but unfortunately doesn't scale very well with gold input. So he does well early on, but not so well late.

Now, experienced players became frustrated with this, so they started building Garen as an offtank designed to play similarly to guys like Mordekaiser. The idea here is to build a Sunfire Cape (I said "a", not "3").

This is Reginald's Garen guide, and he builds a Brutalizer and Sunfire Cape for his core build.

While this guide is old, it describes the famous strategy of a Sunfire Cape alongside a FoN. I feel, however, that angryjanitor's Garen is too easily ignored in teamfights, from my tests.

What you can do against scrubs is stack 3 Sunfire Capes and watch the enemy get wrecked. Against experienced players, this doesn't work: they buy MR to counter Sunfire stacking, and Madred's to counter you. So instead, after my Sunfire Cape, I might buy FoN if there's a dude like Kog'Maw or various nukers running around. Or I might start stacking auras like Aegis and Stark's.

Sometimes towards the end of the game I buy Ghostblade and Infinity's Edge. Also, in the endgame AND on TT, you should be keeping up a RedPot and GreenPot.

Sad Faced Panda

12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtchizobr View Post
Garen is overpowered. stop playing him.

i'm incredibly bored with seeing Mordekaiser and Garen in every match.

ult needs super-massive nerf, and that's just for starters.
To be honest, his ult doesn't do much more than steal kills. Any other kind of damaging ult would be much better than one that's only useful below 25% hp. (Assuming squishy, MR mitigates the hell out of it for high Hp chars anyways).

Egduj

12-07-2010

When does garen ever jungle?

comstock

12-07-2010

I like CDR on Garen and build tank. I tend to build spirit visage first then go with a ninja tabi for shoes. This is cheap and easy to get quickly and makes Garen a bear to fight at lvl 6. You get balanced defenses and some CDR.

Then go for your big items while destroying the other team. I like 1 sunfire, FoN and randuin's omen. If the game is still going it becomes flavor after that. thornmail, GA, whatever floats your boat.

After you finish the omen Garen gets better...more CDR = more spins, more silences, more shield, more QQ. Be aggresive make the other team want to kill you. Make them hate you. Just never forget your shield and without merc treads they'll think they can CC to death but this is just too much armor and too much MR

hunkfish

12-07-2010

hmmm, how to make him still viable in late game , simple let your enemies fear me from early to mid and they will remember that pain that you bring to them. And focus on you late game, thats what you want to do.
he suck in jungle without sunfire, try to hit a liz at lvl 6, you will cry....

I go flash + ignite, ignite is awesome to get kills

for my items i go crit tank build to buff his spin damage.

biomorph

12-07-2010

Garen and the likes is what in my opinion is killing the fun in this game. I like to play Ashe but I never do so anymore because of the metagame gone crazy with unkillable monsters who outdamage you at the same time (Garen et al).
You CAN kite a Garen if you want to but you need sick items and still it takes forever and odds are he will kill you or get away anyways.
Champions like Garen have a very high fault tolerance whereas champions like Ashe have absolutely zero. One slip up and you are gone. I prefer the latter since it makes the game more intense and exciting.
The best way to deal with Garen is to avoid his judgement but then you have to compromise a tower since either he eats you or he eats tower (or both).
I hope Riot will turn this obnoxious tide of self healing unkillable monsters as in my opinion they make the game less and less interesting and at the same time they make so many fun champions obsolete as they simply can not stand up to the no brainer freight trains that just steam roll over you and your towers.

Doriantv

12-07-2010

I used to be the biggest proponent that Tanky DPS was fine...

Then I recently played a nightmarish match on TT (blink pick). We were Garen/Pantheon/Teemo, and our comp was going for early dominance and map control. They were Mordekaiser/Udyr/Rammus, a full-on tank team.

We had more kills, and pulled more lizards and dragons, built MR to counter them, but eventually we could barely get them down to half health while Morde just stacked the Spell Pen/Armor/MR and destroyed us. Udyr was tanky enough to handle our DPS, but with his AS he was shredding us.

I later asked on solomid what we could have done better, and the answer was "nothing" because Tanky DPS teams dominate TT. In SR, they might be fine because there's 5 heroes to bang on them, but in TT with only 3, they are invincible.