I got Plat II playing almost exclusively Swain

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Demagoguery

08-25-2013

I mostly play Swain as a situational counter pick to various champions, like Lee Mid as he just ruins the guy. The issue I see is that Swain has a terrible late game in comparison to his absurd early and mid game, I remember one game as Karthus I just told the jungler to stay out of my lane and let me farm up, once the game went a little long the enemy Swain went from dominating to doing mostly nothing.

So my question is, how do you keep Swain more relevant after he starts falling off?

Spankin DaBagel

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demagoguery View Post
I mostly play Swain as a situational counter pick to various champions, like Lee Mid as he just ruins the guy. The issue I see is that Swain has a terrible late game in comparison to his absurd early and mid game, I remember one game as Karthus I just told the jungler to stay out of my lane and let me farm up, once the game went a little long the enemy Swain went from dominating to doing mostly nothing.

So my question is, how do you keep Swain more relevant after he starts falling off?
I feel like Swain doesn't fall off so much as it just looks like he doesn't do much late. He is still a threat it's just not very obvious because he is doing decent damage to the whole enemy team not tons of damage to just one person.

Jakojo

08-25-2013

Change Nevermove to Nevermore (more befitting) and a buff to his passive would be nice. I like swain but looking through patches he hasn't been changed much.

Demagoguery

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankin DaBagel View Post
I feel like Swain doesn't fall off so much as it just looks like he doesn't do much late. He is still a threat it's just not very obvious because he is doing decent damage to the whole enemy team not tons of damage to just one person.
Hm, I'll have to give him another shot. I mainly play champions like him, so it's weird that I don't particularly click with him as I like characters that farm early and then mess up team fights by going all in, like Karthus (Who I took from Silver 5 to Gold recently after coming back from a break), Vlad (Who I played to like 1700 elo early in S3), and Singed. Maybe it's just that I always played Swain differently and didn't build him as tanky as the others, since on Karthus I'd usually rush RoA into Hourglass so I could initiate heavily when I had flash up, or simply zone 3 people alone from the team fight.

Maybe my issue with Swain is that he doesn't farm as well with abilities like the other champions. Do you just farm with AA or do you use Nevermore/Ult to push waves faster so you can roam a bit more? Or do you just kind of try to go for bullying the other laner as opposed to farming as heavily because your item threshold isn't as high as the other champions?

Edit: Have you also considered a mix of flat/level MR blues? I tend to have 6 Flat and 3 per level so I get the initial survivability in the lane and then get some extra in the late game. I guess this isn't as necessary with Swain, but I'd like your thoughts on it.

pao

08-25-2013

swain needs a nerf i think

Porkcchop

08-25-2013

I dislike how Swain's EQ is undodgeable. If you maybe turn Q or E into a skillshot, you could buff is worse qualities.

OP I got to Diamond 5 with Shyvana top. Pretty much everything is viable in solo queue.

DarkArmedReaper

08-25-2013

I think that swains fantasy is more a were-monster with power.
He changes forms into this awesome Crow that just sits there and never dies.
Having a King/Leader secretly be a complete monster makes for an interesting feel in game.

At the end of the game it just feels like the monster has come out and destroyed everybody on their team unmercifully.

NA Darklarik

08-25-2013

PS you really should respond to Scarizard Fubby :/

BTW, guys guide is really good, just followed it word for word, first game i get this o_o
Name:  Swain holly ****.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  240.0 KB

VorcktheBlue

08-25-2013

For me the end game fantasy is a utter monster who just shrughs of damage while tearing down several member of the enemy team simultaneously.

If i had to criticize something, i find it extremely difficult to itemize him, he just needs too many stats. He is in practice melee so he needs resists and hp to stay alive, while simultaneously needing an massive amount of mana to keep his ultimate up, while it would also be nice to get a lot of ap and mpen to heal more. If you itemize for survivability and mana, you lack damage and vice versa.

NA Darklarik

08-25-2013

Ill be honest, id go as far as to say his Lategame is outrageously OP. They ignited me in almost every fight, i was STILL healing for SOOOOO much i just shrugged off everything they threw at me while throwing out so much damage.

Glad not many people play swain.