[Guide} A Rumble with Trundle is Fundle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hannor

12-05-2010

Trundle is a great tanky dps that has much to offer his team in countering tanky dps and ranged carry type champs. Not only can he jungle well, but he can lane well also. In this guide I will cover A core build and some tactics to use when ganking and working with your team. If you follow this build and get a little practice, I am confident you will have the same success with him as I have. (He took my w/l ration to positive in normal games, which is something I have been trying to do for some time.)

The first couple parts of this guide go into detail about the skills, how to use them, and what to do early game. If you just want the build, then head on down to the end, but you may want to look at the Pillar of Filth description for a couple tricks.

His skills and what they can do for you.

Passive: Decompose

Trundle gains health from enemy units that die around him. The health regen starts at 2% and scales up 1% every three or four levels to a max of 6%.

This skill is what makes Trundle work well in a lane. It does not help noticeably in early jungling, however. Later in the game, you can use it to regen health in between teamfights by farming. Alos, the radius on Decompose is not huge, more like mid range. Try a practice game to get good at staying at the edge of its range as a creep dies.

Rabid Bite --4 second cooldown

Trundle bites an enemy dealing 30/45/60/75/90 + 30/45/60/75/90+ (.8/.9/1/1.1/1.2) AD. On hit, he buffs his own AD reduces the enemies AD by 20/25/30/35/40 and reduces the enemies AD for half the amount. The debuff+self buff lasts for 8 seconds.

This skill provides most of the damage you will do with Trundle. We will max this skill first in both the lane and the jungle. It also procs on hit effects, although the proc from a sheen/trin force/lichbane only counts towards the AD scaling of the ability. Therefore, a sheen/triforce/lichbane are not going to be fully effective until about level three of four of this skill.

The AD debuff+self buff are not too noticeable later in the game, but it still helps.

You can use this on an enemy minion while taking down a tower for a quick AD buff. This plus contaminate and an attackspeed item work great for killing towers.

Contaminate --15 second cooldown

Trundle contaminates an area about the width of a lane in diameter. While in the contaminated zone, Trundle gains 20%/25%/30%/35%/40% move speed, 20%/30%/40%/50%/60% attack speed, and 20%/25%/30%/35%/40% cc reduction. The contamination lasts 8 sec.

This skill is most useful later in the game, but has its uses early too. We will be getting this skill at level two in the jungle and level four in the lane. The reasoning is that it helps you clear the jungle faster but not really useful in last hitting or harassing. Ealry on, you will have to be careful not to spam this skill too much.

The biggest use for this skill is in teamfights and ganking. Throw it down where most of the fight is going to happen. If you throw this out too early, the fight could move outside of the zone. Throwing it out too late will mean the majority of the benefit is not realized when you need it most. When ganking, it is also important to drop this right before any cc comes for you.

Contaminate can also be used for chasing and escaping. The move speed buff and cc reduction is quite obviously the reason.

Pillar of Filth (PoF)--23/20/17/14/11 sec cooldown

Summons a pillar (of what appears to be a rock or some kind of greyish turd) That acts as impassable terrain. A radius around the pillar slows by 25%/30%/35%/40%/45% for 3(?) seconds. The radius increases with size as you level it.

I could probably fill an entire guide just with little tricks you can pull with this bad boy. However, I will just give you a couple:

The size of the pillar is the same as the widthi of the bushes in the sidelanes; if they try to escape through the bush, just drop this bad boy just inside the far end.

PoF gives vision inside of bushes and is Garens worst nightmare.

It pushes character models as the pillar rises from the ground, which gives you an extra second or two to pound on them.

There are several spots in the jungle where a well placed pillar completely blocks all passage.

With excellent timing, you can pin someone to the wall for a second or two.

Mechanics wise, it seems to slow them longer the more time they spend in the slow radius, but is hard to tell. Also, ghost and flash let people move right through it.

This skill will be leveled up at level two in a lane to protect you from some harass while you last hit. In the jungle, get it at level four if you want to gank.

In teamfights, you can use this to a) seperate the enemy team or b) drop it behind a ranged carry to kill them rather effectively. Obviously it is good for chasing or escaping as well.

Agony-- 80 second cooldown

Trundle drains 100/175/250 + (.6) AP health and
15%/20%/25% ar/mr from an enemy into himself. The amount doubles over the six second duration.

There are three uses for this ult, and only three.

1. Drop it on a tank when going into a team fight to make you harder to kill

2. Drop it on a tanky dps to make them very squishy.

3. Drop in on someone that is escaping with only one or two hits left to finish them off. I highly recommend dropping ignite before you drop the ult though.

Skill order For jungle it is qwqer and laning is qeqwr. After that, max Rabid Bite and keep Contaminate and PoF at the same level.

================================================== ===============================================

Starting your item build and the early game

If you plan to jungle, then grab your cloth armor+Five hp pots and head to golem. Use q and smite to bring down the golem camp and grab contaminate. Drop one contaminate at each camp after you initiate with q. Finish the one side of the jungle, level PoF, grab boots, and go gank.

When you run into the lane to gank, drop your contaminate as soon as they notice you to buff against cc. When they start running, drop your pillar right in the enemy path. Wash, rinse repeat. I like to get madred's to drop dragon, then grab a giant's belt.

If you plan to lane, grab either a meki pendent for chalice or a mana crystal for locket. Get one hp and one mana pot to sustain you. If you go for chalice, then make a gian'ts belt your next item.

Usually you will take a level in q to farm, but, if you lane with someone that likes to wait in the bushes for first blood, getting a level in PoF is not a bad idea.

Farm with auto attacks as much as possible, but do not be afraid of using q. An auto attack followed by q gives a nice one two combo for last hitting creeps.

Grab PoF at level two for it's utility. This skill gives sight into bushes and can be thrown up to prevent harassment while last hitting. However, go light on PoF because you do not have endless mana. I recommend only throwing it up to block harassment when you can get two to three last hits before retreating.

================================================== =================================================

Item, Mastery, and Rune build

The core build is a Frozen Mallet and Atma's impaler. You hit level 18 with 3k health, 150 armor, 100 mr, and about 200 AD with this build.

Chalice, Innervating Locket, and Madred's Razor lose most of their effectiveness lategame, which is why I did not include them in the core. All three, however, have such a good effect on the early game that it is still worth getting these items first, even if you just sell them later to obtain better items.

After the core you need to get at least one item with attackspeed, and then build situational.

There are a variety of attack speed options available to fit a variety of situations, but an Executioners calling is cheap, eliminates dodge, and even gives a little more damage. A Stark's is good if your allies can take advantage of the active, and a wit's end is good against mages.

Bloodthirster is good for more damage and a must against tanky dps.. An Aegis or GA is great for more tankiness. A ghostblade makes ranged carries cry with it's active. Bloodrazor owns tanky dps.

Getting MR is a must, but how much is the question. I prefer to feel out how much of an effect the AP enemies are having before committing to anything beyond a spirit visage or negatron cloak. Always get merc treads.

Attachment 97534

Here is a picture to better illustrate the build strategy.

A word about Trinity Force Yes, this works like an insta proc with a level 3-4 Rabid bite., but it offers little survivability and has a very high cost. Get this if you must, but you absolutely will want an Aegis or GA to back it up. If you get Trinity Force, then make your hit combo look like: q+w+auto+e+auto+q to really make good use of the procs.

Edit to trin force: I should add that spamming his q later on really slows down his attacking. This is mainly why I don't like the trinity force. The damage seems higher on paper, but once you get contaminate higher in level, a zeal or ghostblase active increases your damage output more than this will.

For runes I like to go armor pen marks, flat armor seals, mr/level glyphs, and flat hp quints. This gives you great survivabilty both early and late with some armor pen to hit harder.

Masteries look like 1/16/13 for jungle and 0/16/14 for lane.

================================================== ================================================== ======

Conclusion

Thanks for reading my humble trundle rumble guide. If you have any suggestions or constructive feedback, I will be glad to read it, try it, and add it.

I hope this helps you work trundle with the same success I have had. Trundle really is a great asset to the team in right hands, just be sure to get used to the way his skills work in a couple of practice games before taking him out to a real fight.

Thank you Aldis44 for some clarification with some of his abilities and suggestions.

Hannor

12-06-2010

Addendum: Summoner spells

Ack, completely forgot to add this. Oh well, it's short and lets me bump for some comments :P

I generally always run smite/ghost when jungling for creep killing and ghost for ganking.

In the lane go for ghost and ignite. ghost helps escaping and chasing, while ignite is a nice finisher, especially with your ult.

Flash and exhaust can be substituted in for ghost and ignite respectively. Heal and clarity are not really good ideas since they do not help lategame at all.

Fortify, Clairvoyance, and Rally (yes rally) work well too, but not quite as helpful as the above spells.

Addendum II: Towers

When hitting a tower, drop your contaminate to chew through it. The contaminate should be dropped so you can sit in it while hitting the tower and so that it covers your escape route. Use q on enemy minions to buff your ad a little as well. Trundle is actually quite good at taking down towers.

Addendum III: Teamfights

I wanted to do this part last in order to gather all my thoughts on how to be most effective in teamfights. I decided to break down teamfights into three parts, Early/initiation, committing to the fight, and escaping/chasing.

Early Teamfight/Initiation

During this part the ranged carries and mages will try to kite and harass your team to gain better positioning for their own team. At this stage you should watch these enemies carefully. Harassing often means the ranged play in a dangerous area
between the two teams. Your PoF can often be used to exploit this. Whenever you see an enemy extend a little too far during this dance of the ranged, drop your pillar behind them for an easy kill and hefty advantage for your team.

Be very cautious, however, since the cooldown on your pillar is just long enough for you to drop one during the meaty high kill portion of every teamfight. If you are unsure if you can get the kill at all, do not drop it. Pay attention to who has Flash or other mechanisms that will waste your pillar.

Committing to the fight

When the fight goes down, you want to immediately drop your contamination to cover the fight zone. The best place is usually right in front of the tank on the initiating side. You need this zone to be placed in a way that the fight is unlikely to leave it so you retain it's buff throughout.

Use your pillar to separate the enemy team into two parts. One part should contain a high priority melee carry or the tanky dps while the other must walk around the pillar to help their teammates or to damage yours. If you cut out a tanky dps to drop with your team, then now is the time to drop your ult on that target. Otherwise, save your ult for the tank if you are likely to become a target.

Then you engage the enemy to be killed. Start be hitting them with Rabid Bite followed by autoattacks. Do Not Spam Rabid Bite, since one is enough to proc your AD debuff/self buff and your frozen mallet. Spamming Rabid bite slows down your attacks per second without adding anything appreciable. The only other time you throw a Rabid Bite is when they are just leaving your auto attack range since Rabid Bite gives you a nice one two combo finisher.

Escaping/Chasing

By this time, your Contaminate and Pillar are coming off of cooldown. Use PoF to keep enemies from going where you do not want them to go. Land Contaminate so that you are just on the edge and the rest of the zone covers any ground you wish to move across. Rabid Bite is also good for chasing due to the nice one two punch effect and it will proc your Frozen Mallet slow.

Koozer

12-06-2010

Just wanted to say nice guide, as noone else will
Never really considered a locket on him, but it seems bloody obvious now it could work, with his Q cooldown as short as it is. My problem with him is I'm fearsome early on, but my damage and tankyness just drops off to nothing late game. I'm not used to all this AD after playing AP champs for months.

ReadInPeace

12-06-2010

Ohai, it's Koozer.

I'll read this some more later, looks aight.

I've played some Trundle and I find myself super useless (laning), when there's no CC or DPS to back me up. :P

Hannor

12-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozer View Post
Just wanted to say nice guide, as noone else will
Never really considered a locket on him, but it seems bloody obvious now it could work, with his Q cooldown as short as it is. My problem with him is I'm fearsome early on, but my damage and tankyness just drops off to nothing late game. I'm not used to all this AD after playing AP champs for months.
Thank you

As for tankiness, you usually will want to drop your ult on the enemy tank before running in. It should also be noted that you should follow your tank in instead of being the first into a teamfight.

The core build gives you some decent damage, but you won't be two shot nuking people. Watch spamming your q later on because the slow down in your auto attacks can actually lower the total damage you do. After the core you can get some AD or attack speed to increase your damage output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadInPeace View Post
Ohai, it's Koozer.

I'll read this some more later, looks aight.

I've played some Trundle and I find myself super useless (laning), when there's no CC or DPS to back me up. :P

Yeah, you won't be harassing anyone, but you can farm ok. Be patient and drop your pillar behind an enemy that overextends, even by a little. Mostly just focus on farming, though.

aldis44

12-06-2010

You did make a few errors so I will correct them :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannor View Post

Rabid Bite --4 second cooldown

Trundle bites an enemy dealing 30/45/60/75/90 + (.6/.7/.9/1.1/1.2)AD. On hit, he reduces the enemies AD by 20/25/30/35/40 and buffs his own AD for half the amount. The debuff+self buff lasts for 8 seconds.
Actually, it's 30/45/60/75/90+ (.8/.9/1/1.1/1.2) AD. It buffs your AD for 20/25/30/35/40 and debuffs your target for half of it.

Quote:
Contaminate --15 second cooldown

Trundle contaminates an area about the width of a lane in diameter. While in the contaminated zone, Trundle gains 20%/25%/30%/35%/40% move speed, 20%/30%/40%/50%/60% attack speed, and 20%/25%/30%/35%/40% cc reduction. The contamination lasts 8 sec.
I don't have any numbers but the AOE does increase when you level it. You should probably say a word about it.

Quote:

It pushes character models as the pillar rises from the ground, which gives you an extra second or two to pound on them or it can interrupt channels.
Are you sure about the interrupt? I'm pretty sure it does not interrupt channeling.

Quote:

The core build is a Frozen Mallet and Atma's impaler. You hit level 18 with 3k health, 150 armor, 150 mr, and about 200 AD with this build.
I don't see any MR on those items. Not even mentioning that you were mentioning madred, chalice and locket a bit earlier.

Quote:
Edit to trin force: I should add that spamming his q later on really slows down his attacking. This is mainly why I don't like the trinity force. The damage seems higher on paper, but once you get contaminate higher in level, a zeal or ghostblase active increases your damage output more than this will.
Actually, you're right. That's really not something they meant (I hope so) but the casting animation of RB take so long that spamming it will lower your DPS with a high level contaminate and any AS item (like bloodrazor).

That said, I think your item section could be clearer and you lack a bit of tips on teamfight. I do believe you are absolutely right on one point though. Trundle is very good for taking out other tanky DPS. People focus too hard on killing the ranged DPS with him. The thing is flash and similar escape mechanism really ****s his damage output.

Hannor

12-06-2010

@ Aldiss44

Thank you very much for your valuable input!

I made the changes necessary and added the clarifications you asked for. i am posting them here for you so you do not have to find them in the guide itself.

Your MR at 18 is actually 100 (this was simply a typing error on my part) I added that you need to get at least a Negatron Cloak or a Spirit Visage, and that I like to feel out the enemy AP champs before committing to more so I can know exactly what to get.

The Madred, Locket, and Chalice are only effective early in the game, but are still worth getting due to just how much they help that part of the game, even if you just sell them later to build something else.

I haven't had the chance to interrupt a channel yet myself, but I have heard it works. I will be going into a practice game with nunu bot for the express purpose of confirming.

Edit: Had a strange effect on nunu bot. He was displaced and his casting animation stopped, but the swirling ult effect moved (there were two circles instead of one which made me think it could be buggy?). Instead of ending it the ult seemed to remain for another second, but the damage it ended up doing when he canceled was minimal. if any one can confirm what the PoF really does to a channel, please let me know.

Quisto

12-07-2010

I like the core build very much, I'm still unsure on items past the core build though. Banshees seems good to add some mr and hp. Bloodthirster for more dmg? Or warmogs for more hp? Still trying to figure it out. I loved your suggestions though. I also use him exclusively as a jungler so I always get razor and turn it into the warding item (its late and i forget the name) for the lifesteal, plus it helps control buffs and dragon better.

My build so far:
Razer -> Ward Thingy/ Merc boots/ Frozen Mallet/ Atmals/ Veil/ ??

Coolest thing so far to happen with pillar: Blocked a charging Malphite ult as Pillar rose in his path. Totally cancelled the ult.

ReadInPeace

12-07-2010

Gotta love how someone went in here and downvoted everything randomly. We need mods. :P

I'm still trying with him.

I hate when I get a bad team comp. (because obviously, it always has to be me filling the needed roles, duh, I'm sick of it, just wanna Trundle). No ranged carry, too lil' damage, and passive teammates.

Then I dive into a teamfight on their carry, and get focused while my teammates are picking their noses. Also gotta love how nothing happens and they expect me to initiate, I die 1v5, then they complain I'm feeding. :P

Hannor

12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisto View Post
I like the core build very much, I'm still unsure on items past the core build though. Banshees seems good to add some mr and hp. Bloodthirster for more dmg? Or warmogs for more hp? Still trying to figure it out. I loved your suggestions though. I also use him exclusively as a jungler so I always get razor and turn it into the warding item (its late and i forget the name) for the lifesteal, plus it helps control buffs and dragon better.

My build so far:
Razer -> Ward Thingy/ Merc boots/ Frozen Mallet/ Atmals/ Veil/ ??

Coolest thing so far to happen with pillar: Blocked a charging Malphite ult as Pillar rose in his path. Totally cancelled the ult.
Wriggle's Lantern is a jungler's best friend for sure. I would put the same stipulation on it as the razor though, not mush use later in the game. Sure it is a free ward all the time, but that extra 525 gold is halfway to a giant's belt, which you really need early and late.

Edit: Just thought of something else. If they have tanky dps, then save the razor to build into bllodrazor instead of getting wriggles. Trundle is a great anti tanky dps.

BV is great hand's down. The thing is you do not always need that much anti magic on you. i suggest you build the BV as the situation calls for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadInPeace View Post
Gotta love how someone went in here and downvoted everything randomly. We need mods. :P

I'm still trying with him.

I hate when I get a bad team comp. (because obviously, it always has to be me filling the needed roles, duh, I'm sick of it, just wanna Trundle). No ranged carry, too lil' damage, and passive teammates.

Then I dive into a teamfight on their carry, and get focused while my teammates are picking their noses. Also gotta love how nothing happens and they expect me to initiate, I die 1v5, then they complain I'm feeding. :P

that always sucks, especially since a big part of Trundle is the support he gives his team. You are right in not initiating in most circumstance because initiating with his pillar only works if it guarantees a kill,

In my own experience, laying down the pillar too soon allows the enemy team to move away from it, which actually turns your pillar against your own team. If you lay down contaminate before the fight is committed to, then the enemy can kite you out of it too easily. since these are the only two abilities that allow you to shape the battle, I'm afraid Trundle's initiate is too unreliable.

If you have any specific area you are having trouble with, let me know. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Another Edit: I changed the item part to include that getting at least one item with attackspeed after the core is most optimal.