[Guide] Sion - Ass Kicker, Name Taker

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crobot

12-18-2009

This is my first guide. And as such, will be making adjustments whenever needed. I am by no means a pro player, I'm guessing my elo lingers somewhere around the upper-middle tier. So I do at least know my stuff.

I've been able to play at all tiers of play, and for some reason I rarely see Sion in the action. I have to wonder why such a versatile hero would be left out. He's one of the Champions that I've been able to do consistently well with, even in loosing games.

Sion hits like a twenty-ton truck, and in more ways than one. He does it all. He kills, he tanks, he pushes, and he's very good at supporting carries. The purpose of this guide is not to pull out a miracle "best Sion build ever", but to make you, as Sion, play a pivotal and versatile role in-game.

-----
Masteries:
Masteries for this build can go any way really. I myself, put 21 in defensive and the rest in utility with the extra regen and experience gain, but maxing out any of the mastery trees work well.

Runes:
Most of us don't have that many runes, so I haven't really experimented much with them. Yellow Armor runes, Blue mana regen runes, and Red armor-pen Runes work really well. I personally use Movespeed quints, but I'll leave those up to you.

Lets take a look at Sion's abilities, shall we?

-----
Cryptic Gaze ("Stun" for future purposes)
Stuns a single target at range and deals damage.

Great utility for chasing and protecting.
I'll come back to this later, but this is your ultimate "help feed the carry" skill.

Death's Caress ("Shield" for future purposes)
Summon a shield that absorbs damage, or can be detonated to deal damage.

Whether it be pushing, farming, or tanking, this is easily sion's most useful ability.

Enrage
Extra damage for a minuscule cost that makes all your kills add to your HP.

Potent at all periods of the game for it's damage, great for building up tankiness at early game.

Cannibalism
Gain a large amount of life steal for both Sion and his allies, as well as increases attack speed.

The team fighting tool and tower basher.

-----
Build order:

-Shield
-Enrage
-Stun
-Enrage
-Shield
-Cannibalism
-Enrage
-Shield
-Enrage
-Shield
-Cannibalism
-Enrage
-Shield
-Stun
-Stun
-Cannibalism
-Stun
-Stun

Reasoning:
You only want 1 level of stun early on, because all that's important there is the 2 second stun of awesomeness. Shield and Enrage are going to be your money maker's in the laning phase, building on your health as well as protecting you. You have no excuse not to have Enrage active at all times.

-----
Summoner Spells

ALWAYS TAKE:
Cleanse. The state of cleanse may be in limbo right now, but it's still useful to Sion. It's pretty much just great to bust him out of a tight spot. The mastery that goes with it is optional, but very nice.

CONSIDER:
Teleport. It's always nice to run and buy some items and get back into the fight, or move quickly to stop a push, because Sion is great at that.
Heal. What makes you more indomitable but more healing power?
Clairvoyance. This is basically just more utility for the team
Fortify. Extra damage to minions when it's on recharge, great for building up more health.
Rally. Better than heal in many team situations.

-----
Item Order

Doran's Shield /or/ Sapphire Crystal and a Mana Potion (for staying power)
Here's the thing, If you're feeling strong and think you can handle yourself well, skip Doran's shield. It's basically just survivability insurance in the lane, or if you team decides to rush the dragon.

After a few minutes in the lane, if you have the chance, head back and pick up Boots of speed (and sapphire Crystal if you didn't already have it)

After boots and crystal, go for a Chalice of Harmony, and then after that, upgrade your boots to Boots of Swiftness. The extra movespeed really helps, though mercury treads are viable if you're faced with strong magic damage from the other team.

The rest of the order is pretty simple.

Build your sapphire crystal into Sheen. Then start working towards Triforce. Phage first, then Zeal.

After triforce, build on top of your durability, with either Banshee's Veil or Sunfire Cape, depending on the enemy. You may consider both.

At this point you may or may not have an open slot left. Here it is really your choice. I like some extra kick, so I grab Last Whisper, but at this point, anything will do.

-----
Strategy:

Sion is a carry's best friend.
As Sion, the best thing you can do early game is support your carry and build up HP from creep kills. A simple stun and whacking your enemy a few times can set up easy kills for your carry, and eventually they will get fed thanks to your help. Thanks to Sion's HP gain and shield, you are also a great tank for your carry. If your team carry is indeed doing well, make it your duty to be the badass bodyguard. Yes, I'm telling you to throw yourself in the line of fire for them. Stun enemies that go after the carry, wail on them, show them that they can't just ignore you. Chances are death won't hurt you much, either that or you won't die anyways. You will become an asset to team fights soon enough.

The tank everyone is afraid of.
Early game your shield's detonation and cheap mana cost make it a strong harassment tool. By mid game you should certainly be tanky enough due to your HP gain. And your shield only supplements that. Sion is a very dangerous tank. Power up that shield, and rush at the enemy, many of them will run. They know you're dangerous and they know if they try to ignore you during a team fight, they'll get bashed, and if they focus on you, your teammates will bash them. During mid and late game, use this power to your advantage. Psychology is strong, and an exploding shield is even more powerful in many cases. Don't ever be afraid to lead the charge into a team fight as Sion. His shield makes him a great initiator, even if he's stunned out of it, your teammates will be on the enemy in no time. This is even better when Sion is paired with another dangerous AoE tank such as Alistar or Malphite.

Bring towers down.
The combination of cannibalism's attack speed, and your imposing shield makes you a scary thing to face, even if you're smacking a tower. By mid game you've got plenty of HP, and even if it's just one ally there to back you up, any enemy in the lane would think twice, as sion's ability to tower dive at a moment's notice is quite powerful considering his stun, especially if he's supported by a carry like Ashe or a heavy pusher such as Sivir.

-----

That's all she wrote for now. I'll come back to improve this guide as I myself take Sion to his limits.

ShowMeYourMoves

12-18-2009

I have played over 300 games total ( I would say about 180 games are Sion. 120 of them are melee DPS carry, 30 of them AP Sion, and 30 of them tank sion) and the number of sion players I see are less than 32.

And 30 out of the 32 are the popular AP Sion.

The way I see Sion is, he can be build for almost everything.

An AP Sion is like Annie, a DPS sion is like Trydemere, Master Yi, a tank Sion is like Singed.

Many people choose to be AP Sion because it helps the team in early and mid game more than the other build, and is more money-friendly (meaning, you don't have to be super fed to be good)

I personally don't agree with your item build, however, there are many way to build a character. My opinion by no mean is better than yours.

Good guide overall, keep up the good work.

It is nice to see another fellow sion player

Judah the Lion

12-19-2009

^I'd like to hear your overall strategy when you're running Sion, as that would attribute a lot to people wanting to know the ins and outs of Mr. Beastly.

If it were me running AP Sion, I'd go something like:
-powers-
Enrage
Shield
Stun
Shield
Enrage
Can.
Shield
etc. . .

-items-
mek. pen.
Deathfire Grasp
Sorc. Boots
Rod of Ages/Sheen->Lich Bane
Void/Guardian Angel
???
, but that's just me.

'K, well, I've been trying to ween myself off AP Sion because I want my Sion to thrive as a DPS'er (I'm throwing this in here for the sake of not littering the guide section for feedback), and so far, it's been O.K., but Jesus, you've got to REALLY stay afloat to become a threat at lvl. 9'ish, and that's where I want some insight.

Here's the thing: you've got good health and beats, with Enrage+crit. chance runes and Stun at lvl 2 (I pick up shield at 3 and keep it there a while), but I always, and I mean ALWAYS get stiffled DPS'ing when ranged are involved, which leads me to my next question: is Sion simply better, provided you're going DPS, if you focus on survivability 1st and foremost? I ask this because there has been way~ too many times running straight damage+attack speed that I've barely gotten out of a fight, and oft times without the blod to show for it; it just seems like you should be going in that direction, if you're leaning towards melee damage (it could just be me.)

Also, and be honest, who else do you feel is on par or better than Sion at melee damage mid-game? Jax, yi, tryhard? Why not play them in place of?

I'm not bashing Sion or trying to be a negative-nancy, but in order to know the 'toons, you must scrutinize, and right now, I'm having a problem seeing the advantage of a melee orientation vs AP nuker, barring the obvious AP to attack DMG/Speed late game.

Lemt

12-19-2009

I tend to build tank/DPS. Get some mana regen (Chalice is great and cheap) and boots (+3 or Treads as suggested). I then follow up with Frozen Mallet (helps keep your carry fed), Sunfire Cape and Atma's Impaler. I usually have 4k HP at this point (also thanks to masteries and HP quints), so Atma's gives me +80 damage. That plus the insane damage from Death's Caress makes you a dangerous opponent, and one that is very hard to kill.
Afterwards, I choose what I need the most. good options are another Sunfire Cape, a Guardian Angel, an aura item, a Brutalizer, Exeutioner's Calling or Infinity Edge.

Good guide, BTW, I just wanted to propose a different kind of build.

Crobot

12-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
I tend to build tank/DPS. Get some mana regen (Chalice is great and cheap) and boots (+3 or Treads as suggested). I then follow up with Frozen Mallet (helps keep your carry fed), Sunfire Cape and Atma's Impaler. I usually have 4k HP at this point (also thanks to masteries and HP quints), so Atma's gives me +80 damage. That plus the insane damage from Death's Caress makes you a dangerous opponent, and one that is very hard to kill.
Afterwards, I choose what I need the most. good options are another Sunfire Cape, a Guardian Angel, an aura item, a Brutalizer, Exeutioner's Calling or Infinity Edge.

Good guide, BTW, I just wanted to propose a different kind of build.
Yeah I understand. And thanks. I tend to take frozen mallet over Triforce once and a while if my team is lacking CC.

ShowMeYourMoves

12-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Poet View Post
^I'd like to hear your overall strategy when you're running Sion, as that would attribute a lot to people wanting to know the ins and outs of Mr. Beastly.

If it were me running AP Sion, I'd go something like:
-powers-
Enrage
Shield
Stun
Shield
Enrage
Can.
Shield
etc. . .

-items-
mek. pen.
Deathfire Grasp
Sorc. Boots
Rod of Ages/Sheen->Lich Bane
Void/Guardian Angel
???
, but that's just me.

'K, well, I've been trying to ween myself off AP Sion because I want my Sion to thrive as a DPS'er (I'm throwing this in here for the sake of not littering the guide section for feedback), and so far, it's been O.K., but Jesus, you've got to REALLY stay afloat to become a threat at lvl. 9'ish, and that's where I want some insight.

Here's the thing: you've got good health and beats, with Enrage+crit. chance runes and Stun at lvl 2 (I pick up shield at 3 and keep it there a while), but I always, and I mean ALWAYS get stiffled DPS'ing when ranged are involved, which leads me to my next question: is Sion simply better, provided you're going DPS, if you focus on survivability 1st and foremost? I ask this because there has been way~ too many times running straight damage+attack speed that I've barely gotten out of a fight, and oft times without the blod to show for it; it just seems like you should be going in that direction, if you're leaning towards melee damage (it could just be me.)

Also, and be honest, who else do you feel is on par or better than Sion at melee damage mid-game? Jax, yi, tryhard? Why not play them in place of?

I'm not bashing Sion or trying to be a negative-nancy, but in order to know the 'toons, you must scrutinize, and right now, I'm having a problem seeing the advantage of a melee orientation vs AP nuker, barring the obvious AP to attack DMG/Speed late game.

In my opinion, Sion is definely on par with Master Yi and Trydemere in the place of Melee Carry.

And have the potential to be even scarier at later levels.

Sion's ultimate scale very well with his stats, the harder you hit, the more you heal.

Also, Sion has about 800 more health than master Yi or Trydemere. You are a lot more tanky than Master Yi ever could be.

Furthermore, your ultimate gives you insane lifesteal, you don't need to spend money buying lifesteal items like Trydemere and Master yi. You can go straight up critical items, and gain more burst damage.

If done right, you can even tank tower as a DPS Sion. (Taking tower hits while hitting minion to regen your health)

Your only problem right now is snare.

The lack of slow is hindering your perferformance. If you are kited, you will be a lot less effective.

My suggestion is

play AP Sion if the other team has an Ashe and 2-3 more AP based hero. (Annie, Veglar etc)

Play DPS Sion if the other team is focusing on a DPS carry Win. (Meaning they have a master Yi or Trydemere and a support that go with him)