Limited Edition Skins

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skeleton Jáck

12-05-2010

I started playing LoL about 3 weeks ago and I have been dumbfounded by the restrictions on purchasing skins for Champions...

To the best of my knowledge you can only get skins through paying for them with cash (RP), outside of the occasional promotion like Trist's Riot Girl skin. So this says to me, that outside of the rare promotional exception, that Riot spends resources on making these skins so that their consumers can spend cash on them.

Customers then pay for said spent resources, which hopefully turns a profit for Riot at the same time. So by not allowing the customers to purchase skins that have already been made, Riot is in essence restricting their potential income on a product that has already been created.

/flabbergasted

I have only purchased about 5 Champions so far, but I can think of 2 restricted skins off the top of my head that I would have already purchased. And that's just at a minimum, not even counting other restricted skins for Champions that I will purchase as I play this game longer.

I can imagine some possible marketing scheme that might be gunning for limited release times to drum up sales. But that will in no way ever sell more total skins than having them available at all times. Short term discounts/sales are what you use in marketing to prop up sales for an item.

And I can also imagine some hair brained idea that they should restrict the skins so that people are "set apart" and look cool. But at the end of the day none of that accomplishes what should be a company's primary goal. Keeping their consumers happy while making buckets of money.

Riot, you have skins already finished and made. I will give you cash money for them. But you simply sit there and tell me, "No." Do you not realize how stupid that sounds?

-Skeleton Jack
aka Muffled Halfling

Opossum

12-05-2010

It's cooler when it's exclusive. You've only been playing 3 weeks, why should you get the same opportunities as someone who has been supporting for longer? Your needs and wants shouldn't be held higher priority over others. I'm sure the people that have the skins are glad they are exclusive why should riot make them sad to make you happy?

BloodLikeIce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2010

Limited edition is NOT something new.

Slogra

12-05-2010

Whipping out King Rammus is a great way of saying you're a badass and you've been here for a while.

Zerdo

12-05-2010

Personally I was really sad that I came back to LoL right after the Halloween Poppy skin was taken out of the store. I WANT IT SO BAD!

At least I have all the Christmas skins from last year : /

St0p Hammertime

12-05-2010

Many people wouldn't have bought the skins if they weren't going to be limited.

Opossum

12-05-2010

Like that poppy skin that was mentioned. Man that thing looked scarier than it does now before it was released, it looks like normal poppy in game though with a lollipop that glows cool. But come on other that it being exclusive who wants that. On the other hand I can understand Zerdo's PoV because I love my kitty katarina skin. Now they just need to make her OP again....

AdamantiumClaws

12-05-2010

its called Marketing Strategy

Shapley

12-05-2010

Limited edition is like burst damage.

John McCain

12-05-2010

You can't have my King Rammus.