Launcher not opening

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brokane

03-23-2013

I click on the icon that opens the launcher and nothing happens. You can see the little animation that signifies the application being opened and a little placeholder appears on the dock, but it quickly closes and the launcher doesn't open. Anyone experience this?

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-23-2013

Its a rare occurrence, and its still being tracked down. If you wouldn't mind, post your OS crash log.

The easy fix is to just reinstall and re-patch. The harder fix is to reinstall but copy over your patch files from the non-working application. If you don't know how to do the latter, you're probably better off re-downloading.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-25-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Are you running from a pinned application in the dock? If so, try running from Finder by navigating to League of Legends [in /Applications by default] and double-clicking that.

leviadragon555

03-28-2013

I've been having the same problems. I've tried going to the actual application in my app folder and clicking on that, but it ends in the same result. When it does crash, nothing comes up saying that it has. The only thing that does work is when I reinstall it, which is always such a pain in the rear :/

micheezy

03-28-2013

Mine is happening right now also!!

leviadragon555

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataslave View Post
Its a rare occurrence, and its still being tracked down. If you wouldn't mind, post your OS crash log.

The easy fix is to just reinstall and re-patch. The harder fix is to reinstall but copy over your patch files from the non-working application. If you don't know how to do the latter, you're probably better off re-downloading.
If all I did want to do was copy the files over, how would this be done?

Recon023

03-28-2013

I found the problem for that bug. When you repair install (If you did that) it deletes the kernel. So the launcher will not work anymore.

Never repair install on a mac as of now, they haven't fixed that bug yet. You can copy ther kernel from a new installation file and it will work.

hussmaster

03-28-2013

Can you please explain that post again Recon023? Would I have to completely reinstall or is there a quick fix? How do I find this kernel file?

THEYAKLORD

03-28-2013

Recon023 is right. I was stuck at the 33% problem (which is common) so I decided to repair install but then the client wouldn't open. I think im going to have to reinstall but thanks for the tip Recon023.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon023 View Post
I found the problem for that bug. When you repair install (If you did that) it deletes the kernel. So the launcher will not work anymore.

Never repair install on a mac as of now, they haven't fixed that bug yet. You can copy ther kernel from a new installation file and it will work.
I've repaired on several different macs, and have yet to experience this side effect. The one time I did experience this bug was immediately after force killing the application when the PBE client was having major issues one day.

Definitely post your OS crash logs from when this happened.

I've seen two people so far linking this bug to repairing, but dozens of others (including myself) who have experienced the bug under various circumstances. I wouldn't exactly be afraid to do a repair if its required for another issue.