41-50 4 8.70%
51-60 2 4.35%
61-70 2 4.35%
71-80 5 10.87%
81-90 6 13.04%
91-100 17 36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Quiz time!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2010

This is a math question that has to do with LoL in a way I'll explain later. I want to see how most LoL players answer this question. Please don't get help before answering the poll and don't explain the correct answer until I've gotten enough results and explain it myself.

Question: You have 100 actions, they can be used for one of two things.

You have to use those 100 actions to receive a score of 40
One action is to flip a two sided coin, and receive one (1) point for heads and zero (0) points for tails. So this on average gives you .5 points, but it's not guaranteed, you might get less.

The other action is to add .35 points to your score. It's a sure thing. But you can't rely on this strategy alone, because then you'll only get 35 points, and you need 40.

For the best chance of achieving your minimum goal of 40, how many times do you use strategy A? Since the question is specific, you should be able to tell it has a definite answer, or two at the most, but since this is a poll there will be ranges. The coin flipping strategy is strategy A.

Also, please vote even if you're unsure, otherwise I have nonresponse bias (i only get answers from the smart people, not a good survey)

EDIT: You have to decide how much of each strategy you'll use before you start flipping coins.

Forevabronze

12-05-2010

mind=go boom

GodDamnTonberry

12-05-2010

80 on choice a, average 40

20 choice 2 so if its under the average will have that backup 7.

all you will need is 33/80 on A

Fyrepyro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2010

I would ask Twisted Fate to flip the coin because...

"The house always wins."

Necrosis627

12-05-2010

Does this have to do with Elo?

KirbyHero

12-05-2010

shh

Seiuchi

12-05-2010

Can you flip coins before deciding how many you're going to flip in total? Because then you just keep flipping until you get 40 - 0.35*remaining flips or you go over 40. Otherwise I'll just be happy with having voted 31-40 because 34 is my favorite number.

KirbyHero

12-05-2010

oh sorry, you don't get to see the flip results during the process. I'll change the OP to make that clear.

yourthevoiceyo

12-05-2010

Hello, you're in
League of Legends Community > League of Legends > General Discussion

I believe you are seeking the off topic discussion board.

iBp0xlbwfhFcTHRT

12-05-2010

It also depends on if as you stated "For the best chance of achieving your minimum goal of 40"
The best would be to flip them all... However if you want to get exactly 40 there is of course no guarantee, but a probable answer.