Why League of Legends eSports Cant Compete With Other Mobas in the Future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Wild Thompson

08-20-2013

So, the eSports scene for the Moba genre is the largest in the world and is still going, with TI3 still in our rearview mirror and Worlds coming up in the next couple months, its going to be an important time for the League of Legends competitive scene in my opinion. No this is not a comparison between LoL and Dota2, but rather some rational thinking after my time watching TI3 and being an avid fan of both games and what they bring to the table. When i sit down and watch league of legends esports, i know what im getting, the same 15-20 heroes every game who get picked or banned because they are the strongest in the scene. This is not a good thing for League of Legends if they wish to remain competitive once the Dota scene gets moving now that it is 'officially' out now. During the course of TI3, 16 teams chose all but 1 hero over the course of the single tournament and i think this shows a lot about the way Dota2 is built as a competitive game that people who are new to the scene or dont play Mobas to often are going to be drawn to as they see more variation and excitement in the Dota 2 competitions and i dont know what Riot caan do to make more strategies viable and more heroes viable but they have to do it quick because the Dota2 tournaments are going to grow in viewership much faster than League in the coming months and by TI4 i dont know if the League eSports viewership numbers can compete with how many ppl TI4 is going to draw

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sleazy Camel

08-20-2013

League is too big to crumble for a while, and your severely underestimating LOL chosen champs pool. Even in Dota you have constant IO, Batrider, Visage, Furion and what not pick bans, it's not like you see different heroes every single game. THAT BEING SAID. Lol could do with some variety though.